Monster Speaker Cable

N

ninja12

Junior Audioholic
I have a 5.1 surround sound. I am running SuperFlat Mini Monster Speaker Cables to my front two main speakers. I have noticed that when I turn the volume on my receiver up about 3/4 my two main speakers begin to make a sound like bacon is frying. However, the center channel speaker and the rear surround speakers are fine. When I turned the effects off on my receiver, the noise went away. When I turned the effects back on, the noise returned. Since the center channel speaker did not make the bacon frying noise, I took the cable off of the center channel and put it on one of the main speakers. The main speaker with the center channel speaker cable connected to it did not make the bacon frying noise. However, the other speaker did continue to make the bacon frying noise. So, I concluded that my speaker cables has a defect. Do you agree. Let me know.

N

ninja12

Junior Audioholic
Have you ever heard of that happening before? And, how come I don't hear it until I crank the volume up pretty high?

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Cable Noise

ninja12 said:
I have a 5.1 surround sound. I am running SuperFlat Mini Monster Speaker Cables to my front two main speakers. I have noticed that when I turn the volume on my receiver up about 3/4 my two main speakers begin to make a sound like bacon is frying. However, the center channel speaker and the rear surround speakers are fine. When I turned the effects off on my receiver, the noise went away. When I turned the effects back on, the noise returned. Since the center channel speaker did not make the bacon frying noise, I took the cable off of the center channel and put it on one of the main speakers. The main speaker with the center channel speaker cable connected to it did not make the bacon frying noise. However, the other speaker did continue to make the bacon frying noise. So, I concluded that my speaker cables has a defect. Do you agree. Let me know.
Sounds to me more like bad connections on your speaker cables. Either clean the connections or replace them. A simple continuity tester available from Radio Shack can tell you if the cable is shorted.

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
I'm with ruadmaa on this one. The chance of the actual speaker cable/wire being bad are pretty slim. Unless, they have some kind of break in them. As much any many of use dislike Monster products, it's not generally due to their quality. Monster makes good products. It does sound more like the connections. What are you using to connect the cables? Bananas? Spades? Bare wire?

Shinerman

N

ninja12

Junior Audioholic
Thanks everyone for your replies. However, I did some more experimenting and found out that it's not my speaker cables. The problem is with my receiver. I have the Yamaha RX-V620. When I have the Effects on, the "bacon frying" sound comes through my two main speakers. When I turn the Effects off, the sound disappears. I wonder how expensive that might be to get fixed.

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Your Finding Makes No Sense

ninja12 said:
Thanks everyone for your replies. However, I did some more experimenting and found out that it's not my speaker cables. The problem is with my receiver. I have the Yamaha RX-V620. When I have the Effects on, the "bacon frying" sound comes through my two main speakers. When I turn the Effects off, the sound disappears. I wonder how expensive that might be to get fixed.
In your original post you said when you changed the cable from center to one of the fronts, only the one front speaker then made the frying noise.

N

ninja12

Junior Audioholic
That's true. However, I just took the speaker cable off of the back of the center channel speaker and connected it to the main speaker. This time, I connect the center channel speaker cable to the main speaker and took the center channel connection on the back of the receiver and connected it to the main speaker connection on the receiver. Then I took the speaker cable for the main speaker and connected it to the center channel speaker and then to the center channel connection on back of the receiver. Once again, the center channel was fine; but, the main speaker kept making the noise. That's when I determined that it was the receiver. Which turns out to be the Effects.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis