Monster Cable Superstore?????

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Holy Crap! I went to a Ultimate Electronics store for the first time this last weekend and there was Monster Cable everywhere. They had 2 maybe 3 entire aisles devoted to Monster. The had really cool displays for each type of interconnect. They had the "cheaper" lines right up to their top end stuff. The salespeople were pushing it like crazy. I think everyone of them had some type of monster product in their hands at all times.

Long story short, I broke down and bought $2,235.17 worth of 16ga. speaker wire. They said I could not leave if I did not buy something? :eek:

Seriously though, I am by no means a fan of Monster Cable but dang, they are giving Bose a run for their money in the race for the outstanding marketing "powdery frozen water" job of the year. I was getting ready to start informing random people in the store about cables when my wife pulled me out by my arm. She's pretty strong!

I kindof felt dirty when I left? :(

Shinerman.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Shinerman said:
I was getting ready to start informing random people in the store about cables when my wife pulled me out by my arm. She's pretty strong!

I kindof felt dirty when I left? :(

Shinerman.

I did that once not about speaker cables but receivers a sales clerk tried to sell based on the position of the volume control over the others.

Next time leave your spouse home or in another store :D Or is that dangerous too ;)

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
Shinerman said:
Holy Crap! I went to a Ultimate Electronics store for the first time this last weekend and there was Monster Cable everywhere. They had 2 maybe 3 entire aisles devoted to Monster. The had really cool displays for each type of interconnect. They had the "cheaper" lines right up to their top end stuff. The salespeople were pushing it like crazy. I think everyone of them had some type of monster product in their hands at all times.

Long story short, I broke down and bought $2,235.17 worth of 16ga. speaker wire. They said I could not leave if I did not buy something? :eek:

Shinerman.
:eek: WOWZERS, and how much did you get for two-grand? :eek:

You must remember that monster sponsers an all expenses paid week at thier Castle annually, which includes driving the sports car collection, for the top performing salesmen.

-Bruce

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
FLZapped said:
:eek: WOWZERS, and how much did you get for two-grand? :eek:

You must remember that monster sponsers an all expenses paid week at thier Castle annually, which includes driving the sports car collection, for the top performing salesmen.

-Bruce

I think I got a really good deal. I got a discount for for anything over $2k. I ended up with 5.5 feet of cable. That's enough for the front left speaker, Once I save some more, the Right front will be next and then the center. Rears will take while. I'll need about 75 to 100ft for three rears. I don't even want to add that up. :eek:

On a good note, I find the left front main and that half of the soundstage now has a much more pure, fuller, dynanic, airy, open, tighter bass than the right main and it's half of the soundstage. :cool: BTW, you can also get my opinion on Wine at www.shinermandoeswine.com. :D

Shinerman

U

Unregistered

I wonder if they'll start making wires for other things like lamps or blenders. I can see it now: "Monster's new lampwire will allow your desklamp to create truer and more natural light." Or "Monster cable will make your blender create protein shakes like never before. A must for any blending enthusiast. Only $75.00."

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Unregistered said:
I wonder if they'll start making wires for other things like lamps or blenders. I can see it now: "Monster's new lampwire will allow your desklamp to create truer and more natural light." Or "Monster cable will make your blender create protein shakes like never before. A must for any blending enthusiast. Only $75.00."

I hope so. Maybe they my blender will work properly :D Since I am in the dard, I don't need lamps ;)

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
I am currently beta testing a prototype Monster power cord on my toaster. The brown on my toast is now much richer and more visually involving, the butter spreads more evenly, and there is remarkably improved olfactory synergy between my English muffins and my favorite boysenberry jam. Breakfast will never be the same!

Can't wait to see what one will do for my coffee maker!

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Rip Van Woofer said:
Can't wait to see what one will do for my coffee maker!
Thread Hijack.

We went to my wife's cousin for Rosh Hashanah. She (the cousin) made a very big deal about her new coffee pot. It was a cusinart that ground the beans then brewed the coffee. As process started, she stood there the entire time with this big S**t eating grin about finally one uping the famous Mudcat. When the brewing stopped, she literally squealed with delight. Then I asked her to make a second pot right now. You should have seen the facial expression evaporate. It was terrible coffee too.

S

slmcdonald7

Junior Audioholic
Mudcat said:
Thread Hijack.

We went to my wife's cousin for Rosh Hashanah. She (the cousin) made a very big deal about her new coffee pot. It was a cusinart that ground the beans then brewed the coffee. As process started, she stood there the entire time with this big S**t eating grin about finally one uping the famous Mudcat. When the brewing stopped, she literally squealed with delight. Then I asked her to make a second pot right now. You should have seen the facial expression evaporate. It was terrible coffee too.

Hijack of the thread hijack:

Mudcat, it's funny you should mention this, I also think that people making coffee are in some way trying to establish their superiority over me. Why, just the other day I was at Starbucks when the kid across the counter said "Here's your double espresso" with a similar sh*t eating grin on his face. I said "Do you think you're better than me b*tch?" and threw the double espresso in his face. He literally squealed in pain. Then I told him to make me another one right now.

Here's to putting those damned coffee makers in their place ;)

... at least I think I'm hilarious.

-Stephen

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
slmcdonald7 said:
Why, just the other day I was at Starbucks when the kid across the counter said "Here's your double espresso" with a similar sh*t eating grin on his face. I said "Do you think you're better than me b*tch?" and threw the double espresso in his face. He literally squealed in pain. Then I told him to make me another one right now.

I'm usually not that mean.

But where I was going, is, if you are familar with those grind and brew systems. Before you can make another pot, they have to totally cleaned out and dried before another batch can be brewed.

I'll just stick with my 25 year old Mr. Coffee (which still has Joe Dimaggio's picture on the box).

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Mudcat said:
I'll just stick with my 25 year old Mr. Coffee (which still has Joe Dimaggio's picture on the box).

So, it is still in the box then? ;)

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
I Had The Idea That Monster Cable Xp (like The One You Could Find Like 7 Yeaers Ago) Was A Good Cable And Wasn't That Expensive Shinerman. How, In The Name Of The Lord And All The Saints And Angels, Could You Spend 2k In Cables!!!! (no Offense).

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Hey toquemon,

Relaaaaaax mon, I was talking in Jest about buying $2k plus worth of cables. I would never spend even 10% of that on a cable. Hell, I have barely spent 1% of that on a cable.

BTW, Monster is not a "BAD" cable. I never intended to convey that. They worked just as well as any other cable. They are simply overpriced for what you get. The XP cable you speak of is good cable. Just overprice IMO compared to other well made wires. You can actually still get the current version of it today.

Oh, take a look at these puppies...... I am sure they can back up the claims they are making about these cables. They state the "claims" so they must have some scientific data to confirm these statements, right?

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=17

Shinerman

Last edited:
toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
i`m sure they can. The descriptions and statements made in the site you pointed at sound just like the classic merchandising BS we see almost everywhere in this business. I don`t know how the "merchandising genious" of monster cable don't laugh at their own idiotic affirmations (maybe they do). I almost die when i read "laser-controlled precision dies to the precise dimensions to produce the insulation, which reduces capacitance and ensures stability for a wide range of frequencies"

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
toquemon said:
i`m sure they can. The descriptions and statements made in the site you pointed at sound just like the classic merchandising BS we see almost everywhere in this business. I don`t know how the "merchandising genious" of monster cable don't laugh at their own idiotic affirmations (maybe they do). I almost die when i read "laser-controlled precision dies to the precise dimensions to produce the insulation, which reduces capacitance and ensures stability for a wide range of frequencies"
Ummm, actually, that is a real concern for wire manufacturers..when they draw the wire through the insulation bath, control of the thickness is rather important.

I've had to deal with vendors for that for half mil (.0005) thickness coats on 15 mil wire. When they get it right, it is a happy thing...we used about 5 million feet, with nary a complaint.. :D

Cheers, John

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

jneutron said:
Ummm, actually, that is a real concern for wire manufacturers..when they draw the wire through the insulation bath, control of the thickness is rather important.

I've had to deal with vendors for that for half mil (.0005) thickness coats on 15 mil wire. When they get it right, it is a happy thing...we used about 5 million feet, with nary a complaint.. :D

Cheers, John

I bet it wasn't in an audio system :p

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wow! $3500 for Monster speaker cables. And they don't even come with gold-plated bannana plugs! :confused:

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
I bet it wasn't in an audio system :p
You would win that bet. It was the superconductor used to make 472 beam steering and focussing magnets for RHIC.

Cheers, John

Hours to go..

Last edited:
Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
This is my favorite part of that Monster page.

]"Advanced network encompasses Monster's Magnetic Flux Tube® for maximum bass response."[/I]

People if you want maximum bass response, I mean bass that really ressonates throughtout the house, pull my finger. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Mudcat said:
People if you want maximum bass response, I mean bass that really ressonates throughtout the house, pull my finger. :eek:
After seeing your Avatar, I think I'll refrain.

Ah what the hell! PULL!!!!!!!!

Shinerman

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis