Monoprice users need to be aware of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'A/V Interconnects, Cables & Power Conditioning' started by highfigh, Feb 16, 2013.

1. highfigh Audioholic Spartan

highfigh
    I don't have any problem if people use Monoprice, but....

Those of you who do use Monoprice need to know that UL is going after them for using the UL name on their cables. This is a problem, on several levels. Being untested means that, in the event of a fire, insurance companies may decide to withhold settlement for damages. This means anyone who used these cables is likely to be sued.

Here's a link to the UL site. A member at another forum mentioned that they were already cited for their HDMI cables.

UL | News Item
  2. Irvrobinson Audioholic Ninja

Irvrobinson
    Unless you're using power over Ethernet I wouldn't be so concerned about fire, I'd be more concerned about how a manufacturer so dishonest as to misuse the UL symbol might be producing a CAT-6 cable that really doesn't meet CAT-6 specs.
  3. fuzz092888 Audioholic Warlord

fuzz092888
    Monoprice is UL certified and so are their cables. This looks to be like counterfeit cable with monoprice packaging. If you look on the UL website and type monoprice into their search box you see that monoprice is fine. Unless I'm mistaken about something, I think you need to issue a retraction. Monoprice is a BBB accredited business with an A+ rating, I would be extremely surprised if this was actually the case. If you notice on the link you provided it does not list monoprice as the retailer of this faulty cable, but some random website that looks like it has been dismantled. My guess is that they put cheaper cable in a monoprice box and were selling it.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. BoredSysAdmin Audioholic Warlord

BoredSysAdmin
    BBB rating means exactly jack, but I do have my trust in monoprice. Also imho UL Certifying CAT cable even with poe in mind is a bit like THX certified hdmi ... just saying...
    CAT5/6 are certifications by themselves. If cable is not capable of cat6 speeds then we have a serious problem
  5. fuzz092888 Audioholic Warlord

fuzz092888
    I wouldn't go that far. It doesn't mean a whole lot, but at least means they respond and resolve any issue reported about them. Besides, simply checking the UL website would have laid all this to rest.
  6. j_garcia Audioholic Jedi

j_garcia
    THX cert on cables is useless. UL rating however is entirely different - it has to do with them passing manufacturing specifications and any applicable safety requirements (fire resistance for example), not whatever "performance" ratings someone decided to make up.
  7. mtrycrafts Audioholic Slumlord

mtrycrafts
    Yep, that is my understanding as well what UL tests for safety, not tech specs.
    Update from that link:

Hazard: This communications cable is missing required flame retardant elements. This may cause an increased risk of fire.
  8. saywhat Enthusiast

saywhat
    doesnt care either way their cables work and are reasonably priced.
    Never had one fail and love the products.