Monoprice Powered Monitors?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the info. The Behringer Truth Monitors are $300 a set w/a 3-year warranty. The Airmotiv 5S is $100 more, but it employs the AMT and a full 5-year warranty. So, it seems to me that would be the better way to go. Perhaps, even going with the Airmotiv 6S. Not to mention that I am really not that far from Nashville if I ever need warranty. As such, shipping should NOT be too bad. Juyst curious about the DAC Emotiva is selling for $99. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Phil
The advantage of the DAC shadyJ mentioned (and the slightly more expensive Peavey I linked earlier) is balanced outputs. If you get a DAC with an unbalanced 3.5mm jack out, there's no practical advantage over your PC's sound card speaker out. Strike the Emotiva DAC from your list.

Does your sound card have optical or S/PDIF out? If so, that might open up other options for DACs, although not necessarily cheaper than the USB options.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Emotiva DAC looks nice, but it is geared to headphones. You can use it for powered monitors as well, but then you are going from an unbalanced 1/4" output to balanced inputs. All the digital bells and whistles on it won't make a difference as far as sound quality goes. The only reason I would consider it is because the ASIO drivers which the Behringers rely on can sometimes be a bit finicky with certain software/hardware combinations. But there is a wide base of support for when those problems do occur, and there is no guarantee the same won't also happen with the Emotiva.

The Emotiva monitors are nice, I especially like the Stealth 8s. However when you say the words 'musical', that is a problem. Often when audiophiles say 'musical' they mean colored, which is just a euphemism for deliberately inaccurate. These studio monitors are more accurate, they are engineered for a flat response (well, I don't know about the rokits, but the rest are). They don't care what your ideas of musical are, and that word means a different thing for every person anyway.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The advantage of the DAC shadyJ mentioned (and the slightly more expensive Peavey I linked earlier) is balanced outputs. If you get a DAC with an unbalanced 3.5mm jack out, there's no practical advantage over your PC's sound card speaker out. Strike the Emotiva DAC from your list.

Does your sound card have optical or S/PDIF out? If so, that might open up other options for DACs, although not necessarily cheaper than the USB options.
I see. Not sure what my desk top has as far as sound cars. How do I find out? Really not a computer guy either...LOL!! So, it is best to get a DAC w/balanced outputs? I will not worry about the Emotiva DAC.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The Emotiva DAC looks nice, but it is geared to headphones. You can use it for powered monitors as well, but then you are going from an unbalanced 1/4" output to balanced inputs. All the digital bells and whistles on it won't make a difference as far as sound quality goes. The only reason I would consider it is because the ASIO drivers which the Behringers rely on can sometimes be a bit finicky with certain software/hardware combinations. But there is a wide base of support for when those problems do occur, and there is no guarantee the same won't also happen with the Emotiva.

The Emotiva monitors are nice, I especially like the Stealth 8s. However when you say the words 'musical', that is a problem. Often when audiophiles say 'musical' they mean colored, which is just a euphemism for deliberately inaccurate. These studio monitors are more accurate, they are engineered for a flat response (well, I don't know about the rokits, but the rest are). They don't care what your ideas of musical are, and that word means a different thing for every person anyway.
It looks like it is best to get a DAC w/balanced outputs, right? When I say musical I guess I am referring to a warmer speaker sound. That is how most describe it. Bass extension is NOT the most important aspect with me but more about articulation/punchiness. Don't need to be a crazy volume levers either. But, at times I do like to rock out. How would the Airmotiv 5S/6S do it that regard? I also found these here:

https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Reference-Monitor-Displacement-Tweeter/dp/B00KQQGT1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470080258&sr=8-1&keywords=samson+RXA5

At $258 a set they sure look promising. The RX6's are $348 a set. Just want to make a good choice here. Get the most for my money. The Emotivas have a 5-year warranty which is impressive!

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if they all came from the same factory in China. That isn't to say they are bad though. If I were you I would just pick up a pair of Behringer 2030s or JBL 305s, they are a known quantity and not really expensive. None of these speakers will be especially warm, at least not if they are built right. They are supposed to be neutral. There is a toggle on the back of the JBLs and Behringers that can shave off a few dB from that top end, and also boost the low and a couple dB. That might be enough to make the speaker 'warm'. The best thing to do in any situation is get a neutral speaker and EQ the character of the sound you want anyway. It's easy to EQ an accurate speaker to obtain a certain sound character, but its not as easy to EQ a inaccurate speaker to get a specific character.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I wouldn't be surprised if they all came from the same factory in China. That isn't to say they are bad though. If I were you I would just pick up a pair of Behringer 2030s or JBL 305s, they are a known quantity and not really expensive. None of these speakers will be especially warm, at least not if they are built right. They are supposed to be neutral. There is a toggle on the back of the JBLs and Behringers that can shave off a few dB from that top end, and also boost the low and a couple dB. That might be enough to make the speaker 'warm'. The best thing to do in any situation is get a neutral speaker and EQ the character of the sound you want anyway. It's easy to EQ an accurate speaker to obtain a certain sound character, but its not as easy to EQ a inaccurate speaker to get a specific character.
I agree 100% Shady. Still doing some reading before making my decision. Both the JBL's/Behringers are being highly considered. Getting closer now. Just in no rush to pull the trigger. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Okay Folks, it looks like that I am going to order me a set of these:

http://www.samash.com/recording/studio-monitors/resolv-rxa6-2-way-active-studio-reference-monitor-with-air-displacement-ribbon-tweeter-single-srxa6xxxx-p

The price is just right and I want to hear the ribbon tweeters. If for some reason they are not to my liking, then I can send them back. The only caveat is return shipping is on me if that be the case. So, I also need to order a balanced DAC. Which one should I order?

The Lexicon Alpha really looks a bit complicated for my tastes. The Behringer UMC22 looks more practical for me. But, the simplicity of the Peavey USB Audio Interface looks appealing. However, the Peavey does not have headphone out in which I need. So, perhaps the Behringer UMC22 is the better way to go?

So if I were to order the Behringer UMC22, then which cables/adapters do I also need to order to hook up the Samson powered monitors linked above? Am ready to order as soon as I have it all together. Really appreciate all of your help folks. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
All you will need is a pair of 1/4" TRS male to male cables like these. Make sure the tips have two black rings on them to insure they are balanced, like the ones in the link.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
All you will need is a pair of 1/4" TRS male to male cables like these. Make sure the tips have two black rings on them to insure they are balanced, like the ones in the link.
So, get the Behringer UMC22 DAC and the 1/4" TRS male to male cables and I am done. Right? Plan to give the Samsons a try. Who knows they might be decent for the money. Thanks once again Shady. Getting ready to order. Just want to make sure that I am getting the right cables/connectors, and etc.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah I seen the Adams. I am sure they are very goo speakers, but I just can NOT spend that much. The Samsons are similar and much more affordable. The Emotivas look very good too, but also they are expensive. So, that is why I am going with the Samsons. Thanks for the recommendation Zieg.

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So, get the Behringer UMC22 DAC and the 1/4" TRS male to male cables and I am done. Right? Plan to give the Samsons a try. Who knows they might be decent for the money. Thanks once again Shady. Getting ready to order. Just want to make sure that I am getting the right cables/connectors, and etc.

Cheers,

Phil
correct, that is all you need. The Behringer should come with its own USB adapter, so the only thing you should need is the signal cable to the speakers. The Samsons look interesting. To be honest I would love to get a bunch of these new low cost monitors and measure them. They might measure pretty well.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
correct, that is all you need. The Behringer should come with its own USB adapter, so the only thing you should need is the signal cable to the speakers. The Samsons look interesting. To be honest I would love to get a bunch of these new low cost monitors and measure them. They might measure pretty well.
Okay Shady just making sure. Will get this ordered shortly. The Adams look interesting too as Zieg mentioned. But, just don't want to spend too much right now. Thanks for the info once again.

Cheers,

Phil

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Okay Folks, it looks like that I am going to order me a set of these:

http://www.samash.com/recording/studio-monitors/resolv-rxa6-2-way-active-studio-reference-monitor-with-air-displacement-ribbon-tweeter-single-srxa6xxxx-p

The price is just right and I want to hear the ribbon tweeters. If for some reason they are not to my liking, then I can send them back. The only caveat is return shipping is on me if that be the case. So, I also need to order a balanced DAC. Which one should I order?

The Lexicon Alpha really looks a bit complicated for my tastes. The Behringer UMC22 looks more practical for me. But, the simplicity of the Peavey USB Audio Interface looks appealing. However, the Peavey does not have headphone out in which I need. So, perhaps the Behringer UMC22 is the better way to go?

So if I were to order the Behringer UMC22, then which cables/adapters do I also need to order to hook up the Samson powered monitors linked above? Am ready to order as soon as I have it all together. Really appreciate all of your help folks. Thanks!

Cheers,

I will be interested to see what you make of those. Those tweeters are AMT drivers. They are pleated ribbons, that squeeze out the air like the old Heil driver.

They are tough to implement as free air resonance is 2.3 KHz. The manufacturer recommends slope of 12 db per octave at 5 KHz. So if you used a fourth order electric crossover you could cross at 3.75 KHz. In any event that woofer is going to have to run higher up than I suspect one of that price can.

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Guess I will know soon enough. Want to at the very least is give them a try. I am fully aware that if I decide to return them that return shipping is on me. That is a chance that I am willing to take. The Adams that Zieg linked also look promising but are also more expensive. Kind of new to the powered monitor/studio monitor thing. Hopefully, the Samsons will work well for my needs.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Samson powered monitors are ordered as are the 1/4" TRS cables and the Behringer UMC22 balanced DAC. Did not get to apply my $20 off coupon, but will call them (Sam Ash) in the morning and see if they can do that for me. If so, that is a really good deal inmho. Thanks for everyone's help. It is most appreciated.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The wave guide on the tweeter may allow for a lower crossover than if mounted on a flat baffle. Agreed that 3.75 kHz is pretty high for a 6", but we will have to see. We can speculate about specs, but measurements will tell the full tale.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It looks like my Samson RXA6's will be here tomorrow. The Behringer DAC/ TRS cables will be here on Friday. So, things are looking up. Plan to order some stands for the RXA6's. Something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JTV358/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Perhaps, some isolation pads like this as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017UC162Q/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1LD3YCR5X6YMM

So, once again just need some advisement here. Are the stands and/or the isolation pads that I chose a good idea? Any other/better suggestions? Feel free to advise. Need to order soon. All help is appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You will want stands, not isolation pads. You want to get the speakers as far off of the desktop as you can to alleviate the acoustic reflection off of the desktop. Raise the speakers.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
You will want stands, not isolation pads. You want to get the speakers as far off of the desktop as you can to alleviate the acoustic reflection off of the desktop. Raise the speakers.
Yes, I plan to get those stands so that the Samsons will be completely off of my desk. But, don't I still need something to isolate the Samsons from the metal stands? Or, is that not a good idea or even essential? No need in wasting money. Just thought that isolating the RXA6's from the stands top plate will improve the sound, no?

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis