Monoprice In-Ceiling Speakers

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Anybody know if these are any good?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083702&p_id=4103&seq=1&format=3#specification

I'm thinking of going from 5.1 to 7.1. (It'll be X.2 after I build a pair of subwoofers) and the only practical option for rears is to go in-ceiling. I've already pre-wired, so it won't be difficult to install them.

After I install my projector, I expect that my wife will want to pull the couch back a foot or so. That will put my surrounds at about 90 degrees. So, I thought installing some rears would help regain a greater sense of envelopment. I don't know - is it worth the effort? And, if it's worth the effort, are these speakers any good?

I know Monoprice prices are almost too good to be true, but I have purchased lots of cables, bits and pieces from them and the quality was top knotch. I just wonder if these speakers would fall into that category of great bang for the buck.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
GO-NAD!, I have the same impression with EVERYTHING that Monoprice sells, including their TV mounts. I'm not talking best by any means, but best value.

I am almost certain that BMX has some Monoprice speakers. Give him a PM. I will also guess that he's probably installed a great variety of in-ceiling speakers, so that he can give you a subjective opinion worth listening to.

While I really don't know what kind of imaging limitations there are with in ceiling implementations, I do know that if you had bookshelves for instance, the goal would be similar to how you place the fronts as a starting poing: 60 degrees each to form an equilateral triangle with listener for best imaging.

If I was to redo my own rear placement, I'd like to try to spread the angles further. I am guessing close to a 6ft spread, and in fact I'd love to try close to double that instead. Live 'n learn.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
GO-NAD!, I have the same impression with EVERYTHING that Monoprice sells, including their TV mounts. I'm not talking best by any means, but best value.

I am almost certain that BMX has some Monoprice speakers. Give him a PM. I will also guess that he's probably installed a great variety of in-ceiling speakers, so that he can give you a subjective opinion worth listening to.

While I really don't know what kind of imaging limitations there are with in ceiling implementations, I do know that if you had bookshelves for instance, the goal would be similar to how you place the fronts as a starting poing: 60 degrees each to form an equilateral triangle with listener for best imaging.

If I was to redo my own rear placement, I'd like to try to spread the angles further. I am guessing close to a 6ft spread, and in fact I'd love to try close to double that instead. Live 'n learn.
Thanks JM. I'd prefer not to go in-ceiling, but the room doesn't really make the bookshelf option very do-able. I've advised others not to go this route, if they can avoid it - and now, here I am, about to do the same thing!:eek: Oh well, gotta work with the space you have, eh?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks JM. I'd prefer not to go in-ceiling, but the room doesn't really make the bookshelf option very do-able. I've advised others not to go this route, if they can avoid it - and now, here I am, about to do the same thing!:eek: Oh well, gotta work with the space you have, eh?
I was combing your other long thread, but haven't found the number yet . . . your ceiling is on the shorter side, like 7'? I know my PSB Alpha rears that are ceiling mounted are just shy of 1' in height. If you or any of your family are close to 6' tall, yeah it would suck to bang your head into it, but if you tried the wide spread where they were closer to side walls, hmm. Also, I am sure you can get even shorter speakers than these. If it really came down to it, you can mount some speakers horizontally, but that would take a bit more research in which ones will still work fine that way (just in case, ask about driver spacing or something). Many tweeters may have to be rotated 90 degrees, and any lobing will only occur at or around the xover.

My Alphas are 7' 1/8" in width (which would be the new height if I turned them horizontally).

L

lennon_68

Enthusiast
I too would be interested in first-hand impressions of Monoprice in-ceiling speakers. My buddy's setting up a HT setup in his basement and the rear wall will be ~15' behind the seating positions, we're considering in-ceilings for the rear surrounds...

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
I have the in-wall the $42/ pair for whole house audio. They work good for that. They would probably work OK for surround, as there isn't much audio ouput to those channels, but you may be better served getting a better quality speaker for a dedicated HT. just my 2 cents.

J

jimbobby

Enthusiast
Try These

I just installed the Aperions today in my house . . . and I'm blown away. Hooked up to my Denon amplifier I can CRANK these things UP with no noticeable distortion. The vocals are beautiful and clear. I'm impressed. No, I'm more than impressed. For $150 / pr. I don't think you'll be able to beat these. I'd go so far to say they almost sound as good as my Paradigm monitors (not in-wall speakers). That's going a little far, but all I can say is WOW.

The guys that installed the speakers were also very impressed with the look and feel of the speakers. One guy said, "I expected to see a couple basic drivers but these things look very impressive. Huge crossovers, etc. These look to be very well-built speakers. I think you did a pretty good job."

Anyway, I'm going to crank them up after this post. My wife / kids are gone right now so it's a perfect time to really immerse myself in some beautiful music. Tonight I'll watch my first movie.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis