Monoprice In Ceiling Speakers Advice Needed

D

dannysporea

Audiophyte
I am trying to select some in ceiling speakers for my 5.1 home theater setup. I already have a powered subwoofer (Polk PSW10), but I need help deciding which of the in ceiling speakers are better. The ceiling is pre wired and the viewing area is right underneath the 2 rears.

So I was looking at the Monoprice 4104s for all 5. Or should I go 4929s for the front (because they are angled) and the 4104s for the rears?

BMXTRIX or anybody else having experience with these speakers, please advise and let me know if they are a good choice and how they sound. Thank you!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
If you're set on in ceiling speakers, then you would definitely need the angled ones for the fronts.

In wall and in ceiling can sound alright. I've heard other setups with in wall and in ceiling speakers and they were pleasant enough and when you want a nice clean look to a room they can't be beat. However, you'll never get the SQ from them as you could from a box speaker. That being said, if you're ceiling is already pre-wired and you're not going to do some critical listening and you don't want crazy loud playback levels, you'll be fine.

What do you plan on using for the receiver?

There's also these HTD Multi Purpose In-Wall and In-Ceiling Speakers

and these Loudspeakers

D

dannysporea

Audiophyte
If you're set on in ceiling speakers, then you would definitely need the angled ones for the fronts.

In wall and in ceiling can sound alright. I've heard other setups with in wall and in ceiling speakers and they were pleasant enough and when you want a nice clean look to a room they can't be beat. However, you'll never get the SQ from them as you could from a box speaker. That being said, if you're ceiling is already pre-wired and you're not going to do some critical listening and you don't want crazy loud playback levels, you'll be fine.

What do you plan on using for the receiver?

There's also these HTD Multi Purpose In-Wall and In-Ceiling Speakers

and these Loudspeakers
Thank you fuzz. Yes, since the house is pre wired, I need to go with ceiling speakers as I don't want to have cables hanging around nor to cut the drywall to put new cables...

I will be using an Onkyo TX-SR805 as the receiver, which is a really good one and THX certified. That's why I'm trying to get the best speakers I could find that won't break the budget (no more than $500 for all 5).

Based on the specs (Kevlar cone and titanium Tweeter), the Monoprice ones look the best on paper (not to mention the price), but do they really sound good? I was also looking at the HTD high definition ones and these audio access you just sent look good as well... It's very hard to decide without a comparison!

I have another possibility as well. I have 6 Klipsch R-1650-C already in walls on different levels for whole house audio that came with the house. Maybe use them for the home theater and replace them with the Monoprice ones?

B

Benbo

Enthusiast
In a room that is 15x12 I used a similar set-up using Monoprice in-wall / in ceiling speakers. I used a pair of 4100s for the wall and a pair of 4103s for the ceiling with a 4881 for the center. Using a Sony 1040 receiver and have a Velodyne CT120 sub. I find that this is adequate for this size room with the understanding that the sound quality of in wall/in ceiling speakers , in my estimation, is not that of conventional speakers. As a side note I had this room constructed with the idea of having in wall/in ceiling speakers installed so additional insulation and sound dampening material was added. Does it rival my family room set-up? No, but I am happy with it.

D

dannysporea

Audiophyte
Did not decide yet :(
Found these that look like a steal at $135/pair, they are 3-ways in ceiling:
NXG Speakers
Any opinion on these?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis