Monolith 5, almost new, 850usd + shipping

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Almost new Monolith 5 for sale. In perfect condition.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Finding Nemo seagull voice on:
"Mine!"
Congratulations Kurt! I'm looking forward to your impressions. Might want to put a weight belt on to put it in its new home. Mine is over 90 lbs. I did a lot of heavy lifting in my old job so I know how to lift and my limitations. This amp was pushing that limit when I was trying to get it in its cubby. :confused:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's the shipping cost from Europe (think that's where OP is)?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Congratulations Kurt! I'm looking forward to your impressions. Might want to put a weight belt on to put it in its new home. Mine is over 90 lbs. I did a lot of heavy lifting in my old job so I know how to lift and my limitations. This amp was pushing that limit when I was trying to get it in its cubby. :confused:
The 5ch unit should be a bit lighter :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm guessing not by a lot. I used a dolly to get the box from my front door to my living room before I opened it. It's a beast.
Wuss. :) Don't know if the heatsink is the same but two boards lighter should help :). This is where more modern tech can help reduce weight ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wuss. :) Don't know if the heatsink is the same but two boards lighter should help :). This is where more modern tech can help reduce weight ;)
Hey! I borrowed the dolly from my neighbor for my speakers. My inner lazy came out so I said why not? :p

It was definitely easier to handle when I got it out of the box. Lots of foam and double boxed, it was pretty big and unwieldy. I had to modify my tv stand so it can hold it. TBH this is the first amp I've ever known. Aside from the heat sinks I really don't know what makes them so heavy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey! I borrowed the dolly from my neighbor for my speakers. My inner lazy came out so I said why not? :p

It was definitely easier to handle when I got it out of the box. Lots of foam and double boxed, it was pretty big and unwieldy. I had to modify my tv stand so it can hold it. TBH this is the first amp I've ever known. Aside from the heat sinks I really don't know what makes them so heavy.
Just pulling the chain a bit :). I like your stand mods too. Heatsinks and power supply weight is probably most of it unless the chassis is particularly heavy. Still not an indicator of audio results :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Shipping is around $190.

The 5 channel is roughly 15lbs lighter than the 7 channel.
Both have the same dual toroidal power supplies (which is the biggest source of weight), so figure each of the modular boards is about 7.5 lbs!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

A dolly...Wus!

I carried not one, but two VTF3..mk5 subs up a flight of stairs!

Not...actually it was one step at a time :cool:.

90 lbs in such a small box is a beast!

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
What's the shipping cost from Europe (think that's where OP is)?
Today finished research. Going to be 140-160£. To be honest i thought it could be more. Guess how much Monoprice charged me? 460£!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Today finished research. Going to be 140-160£. To be honest i thought it could be more. Guess how much Monoprice charged me? 460£!!!
They probably hired a freight forwarder whereas you're doing it direct?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Congratulations Kurt! I'm looking forward to your impressions.
BTDT with Emotiva XPA-2 (1st generation), Aragon 2004 mkII, and Outlaw M200 monoblocks.
I don't expect this to sound any different.
The Emotiva pumps too much heat into the room ... nothing terrible, but you knew it was running - the idea of running extra AC whenever I listened to music did not appeal and the 21" deep chassis made it "not a keeper".
The stereo Aragon also put out a lot of heat.
The Outlaw two monoblocks work fine and run cool.
Basically, I really don't need this amp, but I have (from this forum) cultivated a solid respect for ATI amps as well designed, well made, and reliable; and this was a good opportunity to get one!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
BTDT with Emotiva XPA-2 (1st generation), Aragon 2004 mkII, and Outlaw M200 monoblocks.
The Emotiva pumps too much heat into the room ... nothing terrible, but you knew it was running - the idea of running extra AC whenever I listened to music did not appeal and the 21" deep chassis made it "not a keeper".
Basically, I really don't need this amp, but I have (from this forum) cultivated a solid respect for ATI amps as well designed, well made, and reliable; and this was a good opportunity to get one!
Nice! Let me know if you ever decide to get rid of your monoblocks. I may be interested. Just a thought Kurt. Congrats!

Cheers,

Phil

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Finding Nemo seagull voice on:
"Mine!"
Why did you sell the Aragon 2007?

The Aragon 2007 runs cool. I'm not sure why you sold it and I'm not sure why I bought it but I use it just the same. Just in case the tweeters need as much wattage as the subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis