Monitors Vs Loudspeakers

S

scribe

Enthusiast
I am an extreme newbie to sound!!

I'm not sure which I need or even what the major differences are.

I play electronic music with lots of bass.
2 turntables, new hardman kardon receiver, allen and heath mixer.

I am deciding if I should buy monitors or loudspeakers.

The sound is intented for the DJ, so the speakers will be fairly close and facing me.
This makes me think that I may not need Loudspeakers I am afraid that loudspeakers MAY be too much with a sub. Should I be looking at monitors and a sub?

thanks!

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Most DJ's use active monitors, meaning they are self-powered, for near-range listening. The Behringer B300 sounds like a pretty good solution for your application. Visit behringer.com

Speakers like these are not neccessarly designed around awesome quality of sound, but rather high decibles and big bass.

If you can afford it, go with passive (not powered) 12" PA speakers with an 18" subwoofer (or two). You need powerful sound, far more then most of our home systems need to be, because they are intended for extremely high volumes and need to be durable.

I recommend the Behringer Eurolive series for non-active (you need to amp them, Behringer also makes amps, Crown is good too). EV is also popular, so is JBL.

Good luck,
-Chad

Last edited:
C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Also...Is this going to stay in your recording/practicing room? Or are you playing in clubs that have their own PA provided?

If you have to provide your own system at shows, you might even need to get more dramatic.

My buddy used to DJ with four 18s and eight 12s. All Behringer speakers with Crown amps. But he used to do school dances and such, so he had to provide his own gear.

The money is good though. Your gear pays for itself quick. ;)

-Chad

U

Unregistered

Thanks for replying.

This will be used at only at home.

I am trying to decide if I should even use an AMP - I could just get 2 big nice loud powered speakers and plug them into my mixer and also a sub. OR I can buy a Reciever (like I always have).

What is the difference? Which would suit my needs?

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I would get a pair of B300's from Behringer. Reasonable price, and you basically won't need a subwoofer. Won't need an amp, etc. Really the cheap way to go for what you want. You could get some home loudspeakers and an amp, but, they are HOME loudspeakers - made for that application. I would go with the Behringers... or something comparible.

-Chad

D

dreadstar

Audioholic Intern
Near Field monitoring

If you look at most sound studios they usually go with monitors and external amplifiers. Most DJ powered speakers have a very noticable hum due to 60 hz power. And i find that most are way bottom heavy on the sound.

Alot of high end recording studios use Yamaha NS-10M these are a very small speaker and you may not be pleased with the bass.

Now if you just wish to play it loud. And don't mind/can't hear the hiss anything will do.

Only you know what you like and the music you create will be played by you and in a venue that you set up.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Well, I also spin electronic music (with two Technics 1200s and a Vestax PCV-175 mixer). For at home, I use two Dynaudio Audience 42s and two Sunfire True Subs (L and R). Pounding bass.... overkill....hell yes! ED music has a whole other set of requirements for good production. On the road those Dynaudios just wouldn't cut it!

Now, when he is at large gigs, he needs to have monitors facing him. This is to hear the music properly. So, volume is far more important than quality. He needs pure juice in a durable encloser. That's why I recommended the Behringers. A pair of B300s is perfect for that type of use. Or a pair of 12" widebands from them.

If I do house/frat parties....it's not even neccessary to have those. A good pair of headphones works just fine. Only at nightclubs are nearfields really neccessary. ...namely those with booths. And most venues provide everything anyways.

Good luck and don't get DJ ears!!! Wear hearing protection! It will even HELP you hear close sounds. Don't end up like some DJs (What? WHAT?!#$ WHAT@#$@#$!?)

-Chad

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Oh, and if you do in fact get a 60Hz hum, Behringer makes a Feedback Destroyer that works wonder and is cheap. Also acts as a parametric EQ.

-Chad

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis