Monitor Audio Radius 90 Bookshelf Speaker Overview

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Monitor Audio carries some pretty respectable speakers like the Silver, Gold and Platinum series. A while ago, I had the chance of auditioning all three series and when I was going out of the store I noticed their new Radius Line near the exit door. One that got my attention was the Radius 90 Bookshelf Speaker.
radius-90.large.png

This speaker incorporates one 4” C-CAM® bass driver and one 1” C-CAM tweeter. These speakers were combined with the 200 subwoofer, but you can also combine them with the 225, 380 and 390 subs. Lets take a look at the drivers.

- The Tweeter:
gold-ccam.jpg

The gold dome tweeter which is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminium/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for stiffness and damping characteristics. According to its specs, the new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz.

-The Woofer:
ccam-bass-drivers.jpg

This woofer, is made from a Ceramic-Coated Aluminium/Magnesium which Monitor Audio uses for all their speakers from the mid-market models up.

* It is important to note that, C-CAM's properties were developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Such strength and lightness makes them ideal for loudspeaker cones as they allow a higher overall efficiency.

-The Port:
hive-ii.jpg

Last but not least, we have a new type of port technology which uses a straight rifled design claimed to accelerate air flow and reduce turbulence. The HiVe II technology used in this design is supposed to move air in and out quicker than conventional ports found in other speaker products.

For better convenience (higher WAF), the Radius 90 comes in different colors and can be wall-mounted.

Check them out and tell us what you think!
PicsArt_1426179307877.jpg

Monitor-Audio-R90HD-Blanc_L1_900.jpg

FEATURES:
  • New 4” C-CAM® bass driver - Radius features all new bass drivers with concave cone profiles, introduced by our top-of-the-range Platinum speakers and applied subsequently to Gold GX.
  • New C-CAM gold dome tweeter - optimized to deliver the finest and widest performance within the compact Radius cabinets.
  • HiVe®II port design - Straight from Platinum’s design blueprint, the HiVe reflex port makes its Radius debut. It’s shaped to have the same effect on airflow as a gun-barrel on a bullet.
  • Single through-bolt driver fixing provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced mid-band clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
  • Single point ¼” x 20TPI wall fixing. Use the optional Monitor Audio speaker mount or any standard wall bracket.
  • Optional floor-stand with internal (pre-wired) cable management system.
SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Frequency Response: 80Hz - 35KHz
  • Sensitivity: 83dB
  • Impedance: 8 ohms
  • Power Handling (RMS): 75 watts
  • Power Handling (RMS): 100 watts
  • Recommended Amplifier Requirements: 30-100 watts
  • Maximum SPL (dBA): 102 dB
  • Bass Alignment: Bass reflex - rear ported
  • Driver complement: 1 x 4” (100mm) C-CAM® cone bass/mid driver / 1 x 1” (25mm) C-CAM gold dome tweeter.
  • Cabinet Dimensions (H x W x D): 7-13/16" x 4-15/16" x 5-1/2"
  • Cabinet Dimensions (H x W x D)(Inc Grille & Terminals): 7-13/16" x 4-15/16" x 6-7/16"
  • Cabinet Dimensions (H x W x D)(Inc Grille & Bracket): 7-13/16" x 4-15/16" x 8"
  • Bracket Optional - Monitor Audio Speaker Mount (MASM)
  • Weight: 4lbs. - 10oz.
Price: $499.00/pair.

Click on the following thumbnails to zoom in.
h893R90W-F.jpg MONR90HDsilver.jpg MonAudioRadius90back.jpg

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Monitor Audio carries some pretty respectable speakers like the Silver, Gold and Platinum series. A while ago, I had the chance of auditioning all three series and when I was going out of the store I noticed their new Radius Line near the exit door. One that got my attention was the Radius 90 Bookshelf Speaker.

Did you also listen to the Radius while at the store? If so, then
what did you think about them?

H

HTKamikazee

Audioholics Sheriff
Did you also listen to the Radius while at the store? If so, then
what did you think about them?
Sadly, no. I saw them near the door when I was heading out. They were on display (they weren't installed). The seller, who is a good friend, asked me to stay for an audition, but I had a meeting and I was running short on time. It was supposed to be a one hour visit which turned into a three-hour visit (you know how it is)... Too many toys to play with!!!!

But I'm going back next week to demo some of the newer models and hopefully a pair of the Radius 90. I'll take some pictures and post them so you can see what they have. I'll keep you posted.

D

Dennis DeMille

Audiophyte
View attachment 15285
This speaker incorporates one 4” C-CAM® bass driver and one 1” C-CAM tweeter. These speakers were combined with the 200 subwoofer, but you can also combine them with the 225, 380 and 390 subs. Lets take a look at the drivers.

- The Tweeter:
View attachment 15286
The gold dome tweeter which is formed from a ceramic-coated aluminium/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for stiffness and damping characteristics. According to its specs, the new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz.

-The Woofer:
View attachment 15287
This woofer, is made from a Ceramic-Coated Aluminium/Magnesium which Monitor Audio uses for all their speakers from the mid-market models up.

* It is important to note that, C-CAM's properties were developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Such strength and lightness makes them ideal for loudspeaker cones as they allow a higher overall efficiency.

-The Port:
View attachment 15288
Last but not least, we have a new type of port technology which uses a straight rifled design claimed to accelerate air flow and reduce turbulence. The HiVe II technology used in this design is supposed to move air in and out quicker than conventional ports found in other speaker products.

For better convenience (higher WAF), the Radius 90 comes in different colors and can be wall-mounted.

View attachment 15289
View attachment 15290

FEATURES:
  • New 4” C-CAM® bass driver - Radius features all new bass drivers with concave cone profiles, introduced by our top-of-the-range Platinum speakers and applied subsequently to Gold GX.
  • New C-CAM gold dome tweeter - optimized to deliver the finest and widest performance within the compact Radius cabinets.
  • HiVe®II port design - Straight from Platinum’s design blueprint, the HiVe reflex port makes its Radius debut. It’s shaped to have the same effect on airflow as a gun-barrel on a bullet.
  • Single through-bolt driver fixing provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced mid-band clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
  • Single point ¼” x 20TPI wall fixing. Use the optional Monitor Audio speaker mount or any standard wall bracket.
  • Optional floor-stand with internal (pre-wired) cable management system.
SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Frequency Response: 80Hz - 35KHz
  • Sensitivity: 83dB
  • Impedance: 8 ohms
  • Power Handling (RMS): 75 watts
  • Power Handling (RMS): 100 watts
  • Recommended Amplifier Requirements: 30-100 watts
  • Maximum SPL (dBA): 102 dB
  • Bass Alignment: Bass reflex - rear ported
  • Driver complement: 1 x 4” (100mm) C-CAM® cone bass/mid driver / 1 x 1” (25mm) C-CAM gold dome tweeter.
  • Cabinet Dimensions (H x W x D): 7-13/16" x 4-15/16" x 5-1/2"
  • Cabinet Dimensions (H x W x D)(Inc Grille & Terminals): 7-13/16" x 4-15/16" x 6-7/16"
  • Cabinet Dimensions (H x W x D)(Inc Grille & Bracket): 7-13/16" x 4-15/16" x 8"
  • Bracket Optional - Monitor Audio Speaker Mount (MASM)
  • Weight: 4lbs. - 10oz.
Price: $499.00/pair.

Click on the following thumbnails to zoom in.
View attachment 15291 View attachment 15292 View attachment 15293

D

Dennis DeMille

Audiophyte
I have a pair with the stands got them for 200$ can't ask for a better speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis