Monitor Audio Bronze 2 vs Philharmonic Audio New AA Monitors

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
Here's the long backstory:

I needed an amp to briefly run/test a set of speakers that I had in storage. I didn't want to use my coveted main amp and I definitely didn't want to use my AVR (which I never use for 2 channel) because it is a major hassle to disconnect & re-connect. So I checked CL to see if I could find an inexpensive amp locally that would serve my needs. I saw this little Yamaha so I promptly picked it up:

Turns out that it was in perfect condition, didn't sound bad at all (although I knew it could use a full restoration to bring it to full potential). I spent an evening listening to it drive a set of B&W CM5's and it sounded better than I expected, so I thought maybe I could set-up a budget system in the basement around this pristine Yamaha. So I decided to shop for a set of budget speakers.

I went to check out the new Monitor Audio Bronze 2's. At the shop, I listened to them on Rouge Audio, Marantz & Rega. Right off the bat, I was not impressed with what I heard. Even though I was strictly looking for budget speakers I had the shop switch to the Silvers as well some Totems just to see if what I was hearing was room related. That didn't appear to be the case, both sounded better but both cost more than what I wanted to spend for this modest set-up.

I figured there's no way to really know unless I listen to them at home, in my rooms with my equipment. I decided to take the Bronze 2's home for a trial, only then would I know for sure. Long story short, I was unimpressed at home also. The first thought I had was "What the heck was What Hi*Fi thinking when they gave these things 5 stars?"

The main thing I didn't like about the B2's is the mid-thickness that seems to smother the sound. I always hear that as somewhat of a reverb (like a hum), which I hate. I got the impression they were trying to "tweak" the mid-bass and went overboard. IMO they were far from high fidelity speakers. I have to say that these are probably the least favorite entry level stand-mounts I've ever had in here. I knew they weren't going to cut it for me, not even in a budget system.

Then I thought to give the "new" Philharmonic AA Monitors a try. I had owned Dennis' first AA's (the modded Pioneers) in the past and I thought they were excellent for what they were. I had no place for them for the longest time so I ended up giving them to my son - if I still had them I would have set them up with the Yamaha and called it a day. Dennis did a great job fixing the stock BS-22's (I was in minority on those, I didn't understand what the fuss was about).

When I set-up the new AA Monitors I could immediately hear an improvement over the Bronze 2's. Gone was that mid hum reverb thing I hate in a speaker. There was much more clarity so we were off to a good start. I really wanted to like the MAB2's (was going to choose the black) but I just couldn't get past their sound. In the end the Monitor Audio's went back and the AA Monitors stayed.

I also want to point out that I had realistic expectations. I wasn't expecting either of these to sound like higher end speakers. I kept a ~$400 price-point expectation in mind when assessing both of these speakers. I also played & compared them on my main amplifier that beautifully drives my B&W 805 D2's (while both speakers sounded better on that amp, my opinion of the two contenders didn't change).

Monitor Audio Bronze 2 notes: Retail $499 - current sale price ~ $379

-mid-bass thicker
-sounded slow
-less air/space
-could get tripped-up with a thudding low end
-soundstage lacked depth/width
-tweeter was a bit smoother on the top end
-bass heavy
-the vinyl finish looked cheap to me (maybe the black would have looked better)
-didn't like the black plastic lip on the front top and bottom, seemed like they had to add that because there was no way finish the vinyl wrap because of the curved front corners
-overall a very cheap feeling cabinet, screams "wanna-be"
-efficient but sometimes it seems woofer looses control and will give way
-magnetic grills are a nice touch
-I would have overlooked the fit & finish if they had more fidelity

Philharmonic Audio New AA Monitor (BR-1) notes: Retail $210

-wider soundstage
-nice level presentation
-no overt midbass hump
-they require a bit more power or gain as they are less efficient than the MAB2's
-didn't get as tripped up as the MAB2's in complex musical passages
-surprisingly- less "apparent" bass than the MAB2 but better/cleaner
-fit and finish very utilitarian and basic but I'll take that over the wanna-be look
-wish the cabinet was a touch smaller (these are big boxes)
-vinyl finish was more convincing than the MAB2's
-fragile grill pegs
-tiny speaker binding post housing

I think Dennis does a great job voicing his budget AA Monitors. Usually the shortfalls have nothing to do with him but the limitations of the drivers and enclosures he's tweaking. While the voicing was nice and neutral and great for the price, these drivers show their limitations. The tweeter can get sharp and peaky at times and as good of a job as was done with the mid-woofer (I was glad it wasn't booming) it lacks resolution. I can also hear the port chuffing at times on certain songs if I drive them hard (didn't try that on the MAB2's because I knew they were going back and I didn't want to risk damaging them). Oh and those binding posts, banana plugs are a must because it's really difficult to get your fingers in there to turn them! None of this has anything to do with Dennis but with the kit he tweaked. After all we're talking about a $210 pair of bookshelves!

The Verdict:

If you're in the market for a budget stand-mount. The Philharmonic AA Monitors should definitely be on your list.

Better have needle-nose finger tips to turn the BR-1 posts! :

Size Comparison With CM5 On The Right:

My Previous AA Monitors On The Right:

Last edited:
T

tennsopher

Enthusiast
I bought the Philharmonic AA'sfrom this poster.Hopefully this is the same poster and they are fantastic little speakers.I was in the army as a helicopter mech and have trouble hearing high frequency sounds very well.These speakers do the best job of allowing me to hear the high notes of any that I have ever had.That encompasses B&W 685s, monitoraudio silver s2's and elacb6,s.One of the best sellers and nicest human beings I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I bought the Philharmonic AA'sfrom this poster.Hopefully this is the same poster and they are fantastic little speakers.I was in the army as a helicopter mech and have trouble hearing high frequency sounds very well.These speakers do the best job of allowing me to hear the high notes of any that I have ever had.That encompasses B&W 685s, monitoraudio silver s2's and elacb6,s.One of the best sellers and nicest human beings I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with.
I appreciate the kind words. It was a pleasure dealing with you as well.

I'm really glad that you're enjoying them!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis