Molded vs. MDF cabinet

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Hi, I require your collective wisdom again.

Even tho' I've added a nice HSU sub to my 7.1, I'm still running JBL's all around. They're the top home line, the Studio Series. I require a new center channel speaker. The Studio Series, highly regarded (even tho' they're JBL's) offers a molded 3-way, 4 driver speaker. The new "E" line of JBL has a similar spec'd c-channel speaker, but is cabineted in MDF (and doesn't have the reviewer praise that the Studio Series got).

I live in the boonies, and CANNOT get to a listening room (and alas, the Studio's are no longer made...would have to buy it used). Has anyone had experience with the two...or any opinion regarding the sound from a computer designed, molded (moulded?) enclosure vs. MDF?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
PS: A used molded Studio Series center channel speaker is MORE than a new MDF housed JBL equivalent...the EC35!

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I do believe that the E series is a step below the studio in sonic quality. I wouldn't worry about the material used as much as the design and result. Stick with the studio since you already have them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis