Modeled the Infinty Reference 1260W

AudioSQ

AudioSQ

Enthusiast
Ok, so I "finished it" and dropped the sub in for a test run for a few days before I try to turn it into an end table. It definitely gets louder and lower than it does in the sealed enclosure. It really gets loud between 30 to 40hz and then my lows start to pass off to the mains. It sounds a good bit looser than it does sealed, a bit too much. It also starts to drop off a bit too quickly at 28hz and almost disappears after 24hz. At 20hz it just sounds like a woofer pushing air with out any "bass" sort of like a big fart :p. It does shake some things with test tones from 20 to 24hz, but doesn't sound loud at all. I tried the tank tap in finding Nemo (I'm told its around 30hz) and found it rather underwhelming. I'm still waiting for the Roxul (actually the Denim equivalent) but I can't imagine it will make that much of a difference, will it? I feel like the sub isn't performing anywhere near what the graph shows. Any ideas on how I can get more out of it at the low end and tighten it up a bit? Could there be something else wrong? Do the symptoms point to anything I should check? Maybe a leak? The woofer not screwed in tight enough or I dunno what else. Just for info. The sub was calibrated with Audyssey XT and it is pushed by a bash 500. The dial is set at 12 o'clock and it's clicked to LFE instead of xover. Thanks for any input.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Have you done the sub crawl? I've seen one other build where something wasn't correct with either the way the VC's were wired or problem with the cabinet.

In the next day or so I will try and post my 20Hz output with my Dual Opposed corner loaded to give you an idea. Too many people have either built the D/O or ported Reference with great results so we know the driver performs.

AudioSQ

AudioSQ

Enthusiast
Yeah, I didn't think it was the driver. I did the crawl when it was in the sealed box, but not in the ported one. It is in the spot that sounded the best out of limited placement options I had (three), although in the ported box its too big to go anywhere but beside the couch as an end table so it is staying where it is. I did try rotating the box to have the woofer face different ways. Sounded about the same facing fwd or into the wall. When it was firing into the couch it lost some output, but shook the couch more, which was fun. I think it is braced adequately. I can't hear any coloration to the sound, although it is a bit loose. I wonder if I didn't have the woofer in tight enough. I didn't tweak the screws super tight because it was just temporary and the weather stripping I used for around the gasket was a bit old and too thick. I'll buy some new, or hopefully find the one that came with it. It's only the single voice coil version so I can't imagine I screwed that up.

mhuk

mhuk

Audiophyte
I've got two 120.9W on order, sourcing an FBQ1000 and I already have a Yamaha P3500s.

Jinjuku mention this on another, similar thread:

You could wire the subs internally for 4 ohms and then externally for 2 ohms and then run two subs on each channel.

Be easiest to use a dual terminal cup on two of the subs to make the parallel run really easy.
Just to confim, set the drivers to 4ohms and then run them in parallel using these for the connections:

Or do it this way:

Sorry for the question given the probably very basic nature of this but I like to check I've got it right beforehand :)

mhuk

mhuk

Audiophyte
I must be having a meltdown..:rolleyes: I've no idea why I said 45l - I've just built a pair using 120.9W drivers and the cabinets are about 42litres each.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis