Modeled the Infinty Reference 1260W

AudioSQ

AudioSQ

Enthusiast
Has anybody actually built this box? I think I'm going to give it a run, but was wondering if there was a build thread or listening impressions for it. At the price I can't imagine I could go wrong.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Has anybody actually built this box? I think I'm going to give it a run, but was wondering if there was a build thread or listening impressions for it. At the price I can't imagine I could go wrong.
There is a sealed build over at Parts Express Tech Talk and the builder thinks the SQ is great. Here is the pertinent thread.

From Silver1omo in that thread:

I run audissey and listened to some Coltrane, Black Sabath and Tracy Chapman. Deffinitelly sounds great. Then watched "Ninja asassin" on BR and the bass was very satisfying. Also tested it with "Immortals" the scene where Teseus closes the gate it's quite demanding. I liked it.

The members so far that are building or have: FastBike1, Silver1omo, RINNAV

Based on my experience with the Kappa I assume the Reference will sound great. Especially for $60. I still can't get over this budget option.

M

mardelgo

Junior Audioholic
with eq!!

This is with eq. (behringer FBQ1000) No smoothing!!

By mardelgo at 2012-05-16

They sound great. And they are able to keep up with the kappas. When I test them well I will post my thoughts but for the moment my first impressions are that the price/performance of this subs is amazing!!!

M

mardelgo

Junior Audioholic
No Port noise at my seated position. Only at very high levels and standing 1-2 feet near the sub you can hear (and feal!) the air. But at al level that my room makes a few noises too... ;-) But I only rounded the internal part of the port so I guess if I round the outside it will take more power before any noise. Now before I add this subs the kappas did make some port noise and there was a few moments where the amp clipped (beheringer ep2500) and after I add this 2 new subs I have no clipping or port noise even at extreme levels!

D

dpc

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for taking the time to model this and provide the results. I've decided to give this a shot. This will be my first build so it will probably look like crap, but as long as it sounds good I'm ok with that. I'm coming from a Klipsch RW-10d which just isn't cutting it, so I'm hopeful this will be a nice step up from my current sub.

I didn't want the fan noise of a pro-amp however and ordered a 300W BASH amp. Can the box dimensions be modified to make the width narrower in order to gain some height to safely mount the plate amp above the port as long as I keep the volume at the 101.6 liters mentioned in the pdf? Would that affect the sound in any way, or is it a terrible idea for any other reason?

If that's really not a good idea, I'll just build a separate enclosure for the amp.

Thanks.

jinjuku

jinjuku

If you are talking about the 300 Watt BASH I don't see it being a problem. It's pretty small.

D

dpc

Audioholic Intern
Yes it's the 300 Watt BASH plate amp from parts express.

Just to make sure, are you saying it would be fine to mount that amp at the top of the enclosure with the original dimensions, or would I need to build the box a little taller to keep it away from the port?

Thanks again.

T

TheLaw612

Audioholic Intern
Any update on what you did to mount the Bash 300w to this box? I just ordered the driver and am trying to decide if I want to order the bash or the inuke.

D

dpc

Audioholic Intern
I saw you'd asked a similar question in the thread titled "Infinity 1260w build - low output" and answered there. I tried to post a reply in this thread with a link to that, but it said it would need approval by a moderator and I guess that didn't happen, so I'm just copying and pasting the relevant part of that post below in case others are wondering the same thing while reading this thread.

When measuring this all out and building it, it seemed like the amp would stick out right above the port opening with maybe 1-2" of clearance. I was worried about air turbulence with it that close and sticking out a few inches past the opening and that possibly leading to port noise. So I've just got the amp in a make shift box from scrap mdf at the moment. This was my first build and I'm no expert so it may not have been a problem mounting the amp in the enclosure right above the port opening. That said I don't get a whole lot of air coming out of the port so it may not have been a problem. I believe I've got the box sealed properly as I don't feel air coming out anywhere else and I'm just assuming the small amount of air leaving the port (compared to my Klipsch sub) is a result of good design by jinjuku.

T

TheLaw612

Audioholic Intern
Thanks - I didn't see that you had replied in the other thread until yesterday. I wonder if it would be possible to adjust the box dimensions to make room for the amp while still keeping the enclosure volume the same...

Or just adding an extra few inches to height to make room - I don't know how this would effect the performance though.

I'll be starting this build in a couple weeks when I return from vacation and I'm wavering between the plate amp and the iNuke.

T

TheLaw612

Audioholic Intern
What type of bracing is recommended for this build?

Also, how much rock wool is needed?

AudioSQ

AudioSQ

Enthusiast
My wife and kids are going out of town tomorrow so I think it's time for me to give this a run. Right now I have it in a 1.5 cubed box sealed... and it sucks.. in every single way.

Do you happen to remember what dimensions you used to cut the port pieces? or even the box for that matter. I can do the math if I need too, but if you already had it handy. Thanks.

Bruce

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis