Mixing speakers with different impedences on a receiver

U

Unregistered

Can I connect two 6 ohm speakers as front left and right and one 8 ohm speaker as the center channel for my Onkyo TX-SR502 receiver? The receiver supports speakers of impedence 6 ohm upwards, but I am not sure if I can mix them.

Since the amps are discreete, I guess it is ok. But I wanted to make sure before I connected it and destroyed something.

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
Calibrate your center speaker.

Yes you can do it. I have a pair of Yamaha NS-300 on the front(6 Omhs) and a pair of Celestion F-10 on the rear(8 Omhs) connected to my Yamaha RX-V1400. As long as the impedance of your speakers don't drop below 4 Ohms there's no problem.

Another issue: You will need to calibrate the level of the center speaker. The sound pressure level of your 8 Omhs would be less than the sound pressure level of your 6 Ohms. You can buy a SPL meter in Radio Shack or you can do it by "feeling". :)

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Thanks. My Onkyo manual says 6 ohm is the minimum it can support.

I have seen 4 ohm impedence only on car speakers?

toquemon

toquemon

Full Audioholic
Other brands with 4 Ohm resistance

There are many brands with a 4 Ohm resistance speakers, like Jamo D 570. These kind of speakers are suitable for truly high current amps, like Rotel (and many other brands, but i LOVE Rotel).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis