Mitsubishi WS-55815 and Xbox

wolfsrun

wolfsrun

Enthusiast
Mitsubishi WS-55813 and Xbox

I just bought a Mitsubishi WS-55813. Halo 2 just came out for the Xbox. Obviously, the two are going to spend a lot of time together. :D How dangerous is it to play games for extended periods of time on the Mitsubishi projector? Does the fact that it is rigged for 1080i (x-box format) make a difference? Does Mitsubishi's diamond technology add anything to the equation.

This is my first projection TV, so I am a novice.

Thanks!

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
1080i is a ATSC video high definition standard. Your X-Box being set to that will help the clarity of the image and make things look, and fit better on your screen. So that is a good thing.

The cautions are that with any gaming system on either Plasma or CRT based products (yours is CRT) is that you have to deal with burn in. That is, if you leave the same image up, or if someting like the words: Player X Score: XXXXX appear on the game, in the exact same place, and you leave it there all day long then there is the possibility that it will still be there when the TV is watching something else.

I do not believe that this is nearly as big of a problem with CRT technology as it is with plasma technology, but it is definitely a possibility.

The biggest thing you want to avoid with your TV is watching a lot of 4x3 content (narrow screen) on your 16x9 (widescreen) television with black bars on the side. At the very least, make the bars on the side gray so that burn-in is reduced.

There is a ton of information online about burn-in and how to avoid it and what causes it. I believe there is also an article or two on Audioholics about it.

wolfsrun

wolfsrun

Enthusiast
Thanks!

The merchant at the screen store (small outfit, only deals in mitsubishi) told me that burn in would only occur if I left the same image paused for up to 12 hours. This seemed a little outrageous to me.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes and no... It sounds ridiculous, but 12 hours doesn't necessarily mean continuous. So, if you watch something in 4x3 aspect with black bars, then you can whip through 12 hours in a week. That's what you want to avoid. Either stretch/stadium/zoom fill the screen or use gray bars to fill it up.

With games, the bigger issue is from a game where it says the same thing in the same location all game long (like SCORE). I am sure you have seen the old Pac Man arcade games where it says PLAYER 1 in the lower right corner, even though the video game is turned off. This can happen to you... though usually not as bad. Being aware that there could be a problem is the first and one of the most important steps in preventing it.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic

Attachments

Last edited:
nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
For reference, all* Xbox games support 480p. Only a handful of games support 720p, and even less (three total) support 1080i. I will say that Halo 2 is the ultimate HT toy. The visuals and aurals are equally breath-taking. I have not played any DVD or game that has made such excellent use of all 5.1 speakers before.

*a tiny amount do only 480i, and chances are you'll never play that shovelware.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis