speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks, just trying to discern which is a better way for me to go here. The miniDSP has several models that seem a bit complicated to me. That being said, which one is the best to go with? The miniDSP 2X4 is .9 vrms outputs whereas both the balanced miniDSP and/or the miniDSP HD have 4 vrms outputs. I take it that is rather significant right?

I somewhat understand that balanced outputs are better, but how on Earth would I connect it to my LFE outs and/or the LFE inputs on my subs? The balanced miniDSP has some weird looking inputs/outputs. Hope to get this ordered very soon along with a CSL UMiK1. Have REW downloaded already. Please comment for clarification. Just a bit confused here. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty sure both the HD and unbalanced have a max output of 2Vrms; inputs can vary up to 4Vrms....

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Pretty sure both the HD and unbalanced have a max output of 2Vrms; inputs can vary up to 4Vrms....
Chris I may have it backwards. But,the unbalanced miniDSP 2X4 does have a MAX output of .9 vrms. Here is a link:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4

The balanced shows output at both 2 v and/or 4 v rms:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-balanced-2x4

The HD is limited to 2 vrms outputs:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd

So, that is where I messed up. But, which one is best to EQ subs? The Balanced is more affordable. How on Earth would you even connect it?

Cheers,

Phil

M

Mateo

Audiophyte
Chris I may have it backwards. But,the unbalanced miniDSP 2X4 does have a MAX output of .9 vrms. Here is a link:

So, that is where I messed up. But, which one is best to EQ subs? The Balanced is more affordable. How on Earth would you even connect it?

Cheers,

Phil
Hey speaker guy, sorry to jump in but can anyone tell me what would be the purpose of hooking up the B speakers along with the surround speakers on my onkyo txds575?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hey speaker guy, sorry to jump in but can anyone tell me what would be the purpose of hooking up the B speakers along with the surround speakers on my onkyo txds575?
B speakers are used if you have more than one set of fronts from what I remember. The B speakers are not for your surrounds. Unless, they can be configured for front Height or Width speakers. Does your AVR do Atmos?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I found this on your AVR:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_580TXD575X/Onkyo-TX-DS575X.html

It looks to be an older unit. All I can tell is that it has 5-channel stereo. That means, you should be able to hook up and power A and B speakers plus the center and surrounds all at the same time. Usually it is A or B unless you are powering Zone 2. Again this is from what I can tell. How did you end up with an older piece of equipment like that? Just curious is all.

Cheers,

Phil

M

Mateo

Audiophyte
B speakers are used if you have more than one set of fronts from what I remember. The B speakers are not for your surrounds. Unless, they can be configured for front Height or Width speakers. Does your AVR do Atmos?

Cheers,

Phil
No it does not have atmos it's 17 years old. I bought it brand new and it's been sitting for a while. I still have the polk speakers that I bought with it. It is 5.1 dolby digital dts and re EQ. It has a button for A and B speakers on the front and you can have them both on at the same time. I never used them and thought that they were for more frontal effect.

M

Mateo

Audiophyte
No it does not have atmos it's 17 years old. I bought it brand new and it's been sitting for a while. I still have the polk speakers that I bought with it. It is 5.1 dolby digital dts and re EQ. It has a button for A and B speakers on the front and you can have them both on at the same time. I never used them and thought that they were for more frontal effect.
Thanks for the link too

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Cheers,

Phil
Phil,

My unbalanced 2x4 I'm pretty sure has the max output of 2V, it mentions 4V for pcb ver 1.7....

I originally got an unabalanced unit for the commercial subs I have and the gain structure was fine, but when I went diy the amps I used had a higher sensitivity threshold so got the unbalanced at that time. I just build my own cables for hookup. I'll shoot you a pic.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

But, which one is best to EQ subs? The Balanced is more affordable. How on Earth would you even connect it?
Get the balanced version. People have had problems with the inputs clipping on the unbalanced one.

It’s a hard wired connection. You’ll have to cut the RCA connector off of your cable, strip back the jacket, unwrap the shield and twist it together, strip back the center conductor and wire the shield and center conductor straight to the green Phoenix connector.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil,

My unbalanced 2x4 I'm pretty sure has the max output of 2V, it mentions 4V for pcb ver 1.7....

I originally got an unabalanced unit for the commercial subs I have and the gain structure was fine, but when I went diy the amps I used had a higher sensitivity threshold so got the unbalanced at that time. I just build my own cables for hookup. I'll shoot you a pic.
Great Chris. Looking forward to that pic. That should be a BIG help. Connecting the balanced version looks to be a chore. Hence, part of my confusion here. Want to get away from the .9 vrms if at all possible. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord

Get the balanced version. People have had problems with the inputs clipping on the unbalanced one.

It’s a hard wired connection. You’ll have to cut the RCA connector off of your cable, strip back the jacket, unwrap the shield and twist it together, strip back the center conductor and wire the shield and center conductor straight to the green Phoenix connector.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Wayne, there is no easier way to connect the balanced version? So, what good is the HD version then? I thought that maybe it was an easier solution. Looks like I am wrong yet again......LOL!!! Not sure I can do this Wayne. Are there any other/better options out there? Wire is NOT my thing......LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Files unavailable for a bit when I posted, so here's a pic of my unbalanced 2x4 and the XLR/phoenix and rca/phoenix connector cables I built (and I did clean it up on the rca side inputs later :) ).
2x4 balanced.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Phil, you can also buy these cables with different terminations....

A

andy_c

Audioholic
The issue with the maximum output voltage of the unbalanced miniDSP 2x4 has come up many times since it was introduced a few years ago. I wrote an article about it to hopefully clear up any confusion. The article includes a link to the miniDSP 2x4 balanced manual that shows how to hook up the the cables.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil, you can also buy these cables with different terminations....
Sure hope so because it looks to be a little more involved than I want to get. I am a guy of simplicity.......LOL!!!! Going to read up on it some more. Thanks Chris!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The issue with the maximum output voltage of the unbalanced miniDSP 2x4 has come up many times since it was introduced a few years ago. I wrote an article about it to hopefully clear up any confusion. The article includes a link to the miniDSP 2x4 balanced manual that shows how to hook up the the cables.
Thanks a bunch Andy. Will read up on this today. Appreciate the link. Never knew just how involved the balanced miniDSP could be. Just wish there were an easier way. Simplicity counts here BIG time......LOL!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

A

andy_c

Audioholic
Thanks a bunch Andy. Will read up on this today. Appreciate the link. Never knew just how involved the balanced miniDSP could be. Just wish there were an easier way. Simplicity counts here BIG time......LOL!!!!!
One way to simplify might be to use the HD version. It has RCA connectors at input and output, and a maximum output voltage of 2.0 Volts RMS. That's plenty for just about any amplifier, consumer or pro. An added benefit is its much larger delay adjustment range. The non-HD 2x4 units have a maximum delay of 7.5 msec when the 4-way advanced plugin is used, and 7.2 msec max with the 2x4 advanced plugin. The HD version claims up to 80 msec delay. Converting this into feet, we get:

7.5 msec: 8.45 feet
7.2 msec: 8.11 feet
80 msec: 90.08 feet

These numbers are obtained by multiplying the delay in msec by the speed of sound, which is 1.126 feet/msec. The distance should be interpreted as the difference in distance between the most and least distant subs at the MLP. So if you had a near-field sub right behind your couch, and a sub in front 12 feet away, you'd run out of delay compensation range with the non-HD versions.

Unfortunately, the HD version is a lot more expensive, at $205 in the US.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis