Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
For those unfamiliar with Minecraft, it is a rather popular open-world concept game. There are several editions for various platforms. The version I am most familiar with is the multi-platform Bedrock Edition, which I use on my iPad. Current purchase price is $6.99 from the Apple Store, which I consider an absolute steal for what you get.

As an open-world game, the sky is figuratively the limit; literally, you can go into Creative Mode and seemingly fly as high as you’d like. As the name implies, Creative Mode allows you to build anything you desire. My favorite, and most time-consuming project, was to build a rather large warship (sadly, I deleted that world, so I have no pictures to share). The vessel was equipped with a Netherite armored citadel, “turrets” and casemates equipped with dispensers that could shoot fire-charges. I also developed a VLS system utilizing appropriately oriented dispensers and rockets, triggered by a lever.

Crew accommodations were accounted for, as well as the engineering section of the vessel. The latter consisted of a redstone powered group of pistons; this is as close of an approximation as I could make to a pump-jet propulsor setup. Another fun detail I added was radar antennae, utilizing iron bars for the purpose. The design was a hit with the family as well, as my sons attempted to build their own warships. My younger son designed a vessel made of bedrock, while my older son devised a series of monitor-style ships. I also later built an aircraft carrier and a pirate ship.

Switching gears to Survival Mode, one can opt to go on challenging adventures, or enjoy the simple life of a farmer or fisherman. You can interact with the locals, fight enemies such as Pillagers, Zombies, Skeletons, all the way up to the final boss, the mighty Ender Dragon. Lately, my sons and I have been engaging in suicidal charges against overwhelming odds, content that we can quickly respawn and return to the battle once again.

Given all of the above, Minecraft is a game that has nigh-unlimited replay value. At the aforementioned price of $6.99 for the Bedrock edition, that makes it one of the bargains of the century. Two thumbs up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis