Mindawn - Music Downloads with a Twist

<P><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>Mindawn, a revolutionary new online music service, has opened its doors for business.&nbsp;A new entry on the online music distribution market, Mindawn differs from the competition in three major ways: cross-platform compatibility, CD-quality song files, and virtually no digital rights restrictions (DRM). <STRONG>The good:</STRONG> quality downloads and no DRM. <STRONG>The bad:</STRONG> so far only smaller, independent labels have signed on to use the service, so don't expect to necessarily find the albums you're looking for unless you're into indie music. Still, the technical advantages are clear and this i a great alternative for those looking to get some fresh new music.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2>[Get the Details]</FONT></P></FONT>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gymphboi

Enthusiast
Just checked out the site...

Nice layout, but they definitely need to get more labels signed up. I am a big fan of Emusic.com which is quite similar. They also focus on smaller independent labels. Unfortunately they do not offer lossless formats like FLAC, instead most of their stuff is 192vbr.

-T

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I recommend www.allofmp3.com for non-DRM music downloads. Most major artists available.

-Chris

hawke said:
<P><FONT face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2>Mindawn, a revolutionary new online music service, has opened its doors for business.&nbsp;A new entry on the online music distribution market, Mindawn differs from the competition in three major ways: cross-platform compatibility, CD-quality song files, and virtually no digital rights restrictions (DRM). <STRONG>The good:</STRONG> quality downloads and no DRM. <STRONG>The bad:</STRONG> so far only smaller, independent labels have signed on to use the service, so don't expect to necessarily find the albums you're looking for unless you're into indie music. Still, the technical advantages are clear and this i a great alternative for those looking to get some fresh new music.</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=Arial><FONT size=2>[Get the Details]</FONT></P></FONT>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gymphboi

Enthusiast
WmAx said:
I recommend www.allofmp3.com for non-DRM music downloads. Most major artists available.

-Chris
What is the bitrate on those? I had heard it was 128k. Two things worried me about them. First, having to give my CC to the Russians. Secondly, isn't this rather shady in terms of legality in this country?

-T

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
gymphboi said:
What is the bitrate on those? I had heard it was 128k. Two things worried me about them. First, having to give my CC to the Russians. Secondly, isn't this rather shady in terms of legality in this country?

-T
You choose any rate and format that you want. The service is encodes on the fly. They use a reputable international CC processor. They have no history of scam in the several years they have operated. If you are still afraid of CC fraud, you can purchase *gift certificates* using PayPal and use the gift certificate to download files:

http://www.1cent-music.de/

As for legality, I'm not a lawyer so I can only answer based on what I found online: The site seems to be legal in Russia. From that standpoint, it's a complex issue involving importation law and their licenses. I don't know of any laws preventing importation of media from another country into the U.S. as long as the media was legally distributed in the originating country(wholesale and contractual issues are another matter). There are potential licensing issues as well -- for example they could have legal right to sell in Russia but not right to sell outside Russia. This would, however, likely place them at burden not you in relevance to prosecution. 1. How would they(RIAA) find you? This is not a P2P system but a closed privat server in Russia. 2. What would they prosecute you under? The precedent in U.S. is only established for uploaders of music at this point, not the consumers of the music files; but no one has determined yet if the files are actually illegal or legal to obtain at this point. Ultimately ltimately legal in the U.S.? This has yet to be tested.

I tested the service and paid for/downloaded several albums that i own on Cd. I DBTed using an ABX software comparator select music samples downloaded at hi bitrate MP3 rates and my results were that no audible difference existed in the samples that I tested. Based on this experience, it seems like their file quality is good. On many newer albums they are starting to offer lossless files, if that is of interest.

-Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis