Mexican Haystack Anyone?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Those are flour :) I have made corn also, but I am partial to flour.

I've been told by my family to start a business making them lol. The family often "orders" them from me for our get togethers.
Ah, I thought since you mentioned the right amount of masa that they were light corn or something.

Come on, you can share with us, we won't tell anyone. It's not like google will show this page in search results.....oh wait. Never mind. :confused:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Forgot to ask, what the heck is taco cheese? A queso blanco of some sort? Oaxaca or Cotija perhaps?

When I was a kid in Chicago area, early 60s, my mom had to hunt down in the larger metro area, nothing available in our lily white neighborhood of Oak Park, just simple ingredients most places carry today like tortillas, avocados, cilantro, hot sauce/taco sauce....I think we were one of very few families that got taco dinners on a regular basis. Our neighbors would "drop by" often on those nights :) Mom had fond memories of the time as a teenager she lived in Acapulco while her dad was doing business in the area.

I buy pork butts, and cook in about 6-7 pounch chunks, that fit okay in my dutch oven (6qt). Put the dutch oven on the stove and heat up some oil (I use avocado oil), liberally salt and pepper the meat and brown all sides, then remove and add a bottle of beer (your choice) and deglaze the bottom, scraping up the good bits into the sauce, I also add about a pint of chicken stock, chunks of white onions and or red onions (about one whole onion altogether),4 to 6 each jalapeno and serrano peppers, several cloves of garlic, a variety of seasonings like ancho chile powder, chipotle chile powder, paprika, coriander, oregano, cinnamon and cocoa powder. Sometimes I'll give it a bit of a cochinita pibil spin with adding red achiote paste and orange chunks and some coke (banana leaves are hard to find). Mix it well and put the pork back in (the onion/garlic/peppers/oranges I often reserve half to add after the meat is back in if it's an especially large chunk of pork).

Put the top on the dutch oven, bake at 250 for four to five hours. Let cool a while and then hand remove the pork and remove most of the fat as you shred the meat. Spread the shredded meat out on a baking sheet and using some sauce from the pot to flavor the meat, broil it until a bit crispy all around and yum city.
HD, pork butt are one of my favorites in the Dutch oven. If they're on sale I'll get an 8 or 9 pounder and cut it in half. I top out around 6 lbs though, mine is a 5 quart. It's pretty well seasoned now too. I love the way it smells just warming it up empty.

That recipe looks awesome. I do something similar with a dark beer and a blend of seasonings for pulled pork. Cover it for a few hours and use the drippings to make the sauce. I never thought of tossing it under the broiler to crisp up the edges though! That's a nice twist.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
HD, pork butt are one of my favorites in the Dutch oven. If they're on sale I'll get an 8 or 9 pounder and cut it in half. I top out around 6 lbs though, mine is a 5 quart. It's pretty well seasoned now too. I love the way it smells just warming it up empty.

That recipe looks awesome. I do something similar with a dark beer and a blend of seasonings for pulled pork. Cover it for a few hours and use the drippings to make the sauce. I never thought of tossing it under the broiler to crisp up the edges though! That's a nice twist.
There I was imagining special meat connections.... :) I buy at Costco and generally use my pack'o'pork over two cooking sessions, freezing in the meantime.

Similar concept, the dutch oven is a nice way to go for a long slow braise. Adding the juice while broiling for a crisp is something suggested in a recipe somewhere along the line. If you haven't tried the cochinita pibil thing, that's a great way to go (but use mexican coke for the proper sugar content instead of corn syrup).

Fully agree with just mixing your own spices for even a simple ground beef taco mix, those sodium laden packages from the market are expensive for what they are too and by prepping some sauteed onions/peppers/garlic with some simple spices you get much better results IMO.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I make crockpot carnitas and a mole sauce for enchiladas.
Careful Mark, you do not live to far from me.....LOL!!!! Besides, it is my turn to come up......LOL!!!!! Did not know you was such a good cook. But, I do remember you tried some local Mexican offerings here. BTW, I eat there all of the time. Their Kentucky Burrito is to die for. No kidding! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
o_O
Careful Mark, you do not live to far from me.....LOL!!!! Besides, it is my turn to come up......LOL!!!!! Did not know you was such a good cook. But, I do remember you tried some local Mexican offerings here. BTW, I eat there all of the time. Their Kentucky Burrito is to die for. No kidding! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Okay, what is a Kentucky Burrito? o_O

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
o_O

Okay, what is a Kentucky Burrito? o_O
It is just a burrito that is like ginormous. But, man is it ever delicious. Covered in some kind of white creamy cheese sauce. Has lots of sour cream and Spanish rice. I don't do the re-fried beans thing. In fact, I don't eat any kind of beans. If you really knew me you would know that is a true blessing in and of itself......if you know what I mean? :eek::D:eek:

Cheers,

Phil

jinjuku

jinjuku

Cheers,

Phil
Let me know when you are coming in. We can spin some tracks here and then hit a Mexican eatery down the street that has the best Salsa I've ever had.

Their chicken fajita is killer. I get it to go and make omelets with it and some shredded smoked gouda and picante sauce. To die for.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Let me know when you are coming in. We can spin some tracks here and then hit a Mexican eatery down the street that has the best Salsa I've ever had.

Their chicken fajita is killer. I get it to go and make omelets with it and some shredded smoked gouda and picante sauce. To die for.
Hey, may just take you up on that. The KY State marching band championships are being help at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium on Saturday October 28th. I usually just check out Pre-lims. Can get Finals results via the net later on. Might could meet you in the mid to late afternoon on that day. Been a while since I have been to Papa John's Cardinal Stadium though. Was thinking about hitting a few B&M audio shops as well if I have the time.

There is a pizza place in downtown New Albany that is very well known. They put sauer kraut on their pizzas! At first, even the thought of it made me gag. However, after trying it I was amazed at how delicious it really is. That is, if you like onion on your pizza, then you would love sauer kraut as well. Forget the name of this place, but it is to die for. Might have to check it out as going home it is not too much out of my way. Maybe we could meet there instead, no?

Know of any good B&M audio stores in the area to check out? Might come up on Friday the 27th and spend the day doing just that. Be a good day to eat some pizza in New Albany. Then, later in the evening we can check out this Mexican place you recommend. I can get up Saturday and get checked out of the hotel, then off to the KY marching band championships. After Pre-lims get back home via 64 West towards Evansville/St. Louis! Something like that might work Mark. Just an idea. Let me know via PM.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wonder if you would find "Mexican haystack" on urban dictionary...?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is just a burrito that is like ginormous. But, man is it ever delicious. Covered in some kind of white creamy cheese sauce. Has lots of sour cream and Spanish rice. I don't do the re-fried beans thing. In fact, I don't eat any kind of beans. If you really knew me you would know that is a true blessing in and of itself......if you know what I mean? :eek::D:eek:

Cheers,

Phil
Sounds like a wet burrito of some kind. I prefer whole pinto or black beans over refries myself, but don't turn into a wet burrito myself as a result :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds like a wet burrito of some kind. I prefer whole pinto or black beans over refries myself, but don't turn into a wet burrito myself as a result :)

Yeah, I think it is a wet burrito. Just can't hang with the beans/olives or even anything too spicy. Sadly, I love spicy foods. But, they sure not too kind to me. Especially, red pepper. Really have to watch for them. Have to keep things more on the mild side as a means from going to the ER. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I think it is a wet burrito. Just can't hang with the beans/olives or even anything too spicy. Sadly, I love spicy foods. But, they sure not too kind to me. Especially, red pepper. Really have to watch for them. Have to keep things more on the mild side as a means from going to the ER. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Yeah, I love it hot and spicy myself....you might not like any of my south of the border influenced cooking! My carnitas doesn't come out too spicy in the end, but you could reduce the peppers or change them to mild ones (and I forgot to mention some red pepper flake anyways, so forget that :) ).

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I love it hot and spicy myself....you might not like any of my south of the border influenced cooking! My carnitas doesn't come out too spicy in the end, but you could reduce the peppers or change them to mild ones (and I forgot to mention some red pepper flake anyways, so forget that :) ).
I see where you guys were talking about Boston Butts. I eat that all of the time. You guys ever had mutton? Loves me some mutton! I could eat that all day. My absolute favorite though is Prime Rib. We have a Texas Roadhouse and their Prime Rib is off the chain! No kidding! I am about due for some too!

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see where you guys were talking about Boston Butts. I eat that all of the time. You guys ever had mutton? Loves me some mutton! I could eat that all day. My absolute favorite though is Prime Rib. We have a Texas Roadhouse and their Prime Rib is off the chain! No kidding! I am about due for some too!

Cheers,

Phil
Pork shoulder butt, boston butt, gots a few names. Never tried mutton, don't think I've seen it offered for sale but very very rarely in my whole life of food shopping, either. Prime rib, hmmm haven't done that in a while! I'm getting hungry again and I already pigged out on carnitas tacos :)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Pork shoulder butt, boston butt, gots a few names. Never tried mutton, don't think I've seen it offered for sale but very very rarely in my whole life of food shopping, either. Prime rib, hmmm haven't done that in a while! I'm getting hungry again and I already pigged out on carnitas tacos :)
Oh Chris mutton is so delicious. I like it almost as well as Prime Rib. Like you, I am over due for some. Never had any Boston Butt that I did not like either.....LOL!!!!! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There I was imagining special meat connections.... :) I buy at Costco and generally use my pack'o'pork over two cooking sessions, freezing in the meantime.
After 30 years in the biz I decided to hang it up. Cutting meat is not a bad trade, but the corporate bullshit and retail environment just keeps getting worse. I have a skill that I spent 30 years honing and now I'm going to be doing something completely different.

I made enough friends that I can trust I'll still be able to get the best cuts and great service. After all, if my business venture fails, I could very well be back and I remember things... :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After 30 years in the biz I decided to hang it up. Cutting meat is not a bad trade, but the corporate bullshit and retail environment just keeps getting worse. I have a skill that I spent 30 years honing and now I'm going to be doing something completely different.

I made enough friends that I can trust I'll still be able to get the best cuts and great service. After all, if my business venture fails, I could very well be back and I remember things... :p
I know what you mean, to an extent that's what drove me out of my old profession. Corporate bullshit particularly. I get to play with stuff I like and meet people from all over the world that like to do the same (i.e. mountain biking, when I drive a trail shuttle van a few days a week or hop in one to show people around); it's a good retirement gig for me even though the money is much much less, its enough to buy some beer and toys....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know what you mean, to an extent that's what drove me out of my old profession. Corporate bullshit particularly. I get to play with stuff I like and meet people from all over the world that like to do the same (i.e. mountain biking, when I drive a trail shuttle van a few days a week or hop in one to show people around); it's a good retirement gig for me even though the money is much much less, its enough to buy some beer and toys....
I'd rather have less money and be happy than have a ton of it and be miserable. That shouldn't be a thing for me anyway tho. I expect my Netflix special will be up in a year or 2 chronicling my journey to a self made billionaire. :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis