Meridian Digital Active DSW Subwoofer Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Recently, Meridian has been moving toward self-powered speakers. The Meridian Digital Active DSW subwoofer is a diminutive sub at 15" by 17" by 18" tall. Given these dimensions, it weighs in at a hefty 48.5 pounds. It sports a downfiring long-throw 12" driver in a sealed, plywood, enclosure. The problem is the Meridian DSW subwoofer MUST be used with Meridian speakers. Looking past the plywood construction, the diminutive size, or the complete lack of frequency response information, leaving off any sort of traditional connection for use with a standard speaker system on a $5000 sub seems incredibly short sighted.

Discuss "Meridian Digital Active DSW Subwoofer Preview" here. Read the article.

Ricci

Ricci

Bassaholic
"The problem is the Meridian DSW subwoofer MUST be used with Meridian speakers...leaving off any sort of traditional connection for use with a standard speaker system on a $5000 sub seems incredibly short sighted."

Agreed. A high end manufacturer that further restricts the flexibility of its product to only interfacing with other of their own products? I guess they are going for that extra "exclusive feel". Sounds like another audio company i can think of.

B

beyond 1000

Enthusiast
Sounds like a complete and utter waste of money, even with their speakers. I wonder who has that kind of money to toss away and is clueless at the same time to be taken in by this company's "technology"?:confused:

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Sounds like a complete and utter waste of money, even with their speakers. I wonder who has that kind of money to toss away and is clueless at the same time to be taken in by this company's "technology"?:confused:
Its clearly designed for the "audiophile" version of customers who love Bose . . . . What was it that Barnum T. Bailey said about there being a sucker, oops I mean an audiophile born every minute . . . .

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I wouldn't worry about not having hookup capability with other systems;) I doubt there is much of a market outside Meridian owners.
I also wonder if that amp rating is not into a load that that sub would never see? Carver, I think, had such a sub once, 2500watt amp, I think, into 1/2 Ohm load.

Well, you'd be surprised how many has what amount to waste on nonsense.;):D
When some folks spend 5 figures on speaker cables, what is a 4 figure sub but cheap.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I relly think you should think more out of the box and also give Meridian some credit for what whey're doing

First of all, as far as I know there are no applicable standards about how to hook up a sub using digital connections, it would be a good thing if such a product can be step along the path to get such a standard

Second, this can only probably be used with their speakers because of the one above

Third, most all other subwoofer makers are making suboptimal products when you use DSP because they requirte you to go digital, then analog, then digital and then analog again and this is clearly not optimal with all these conversions which also create time delays that mkay not be catered for completely

Price / performance is not at all very good but Meridian is showing some sort of creativity here and they deserve credit for this.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis