Z

zheepeez

Audiophyte
I just affirmed my inner geek and made the jump to Ubuntu linux, and I'm amazingly happy with it (despite 3 hours spent trying to get my wireless card working), except for one thing - media software. I've installed and tried Amarok, BMPx, Rhythmbox, XMMS, and Banshee, and not one of them (although they're all tipped as the "top music apps" for linux) is good enough. On Windows I was using J River Media Player with a DFX plugin, which was amazing because it had both a great library and fantastic quality.

The linux variations have terrible libraries, no album art support in general browsing, very little audio enhancement support, and just generally aren't as functional and/or customisable.

Does anybody know of a program or solution? I'm on the point of taking the jump and going for WINE (an emulator that allows you to run Windows programs on Linux), but it'd be really good to have one already. I can script and skin as much as needed, if I can just get a platform.

F

Farmer

Audiophyte
I too am a Linux geek :)

Now, are you sure you've played around with amaroK enough? cause when I tried amarok I got blown away by how great it is compared to, well xmms which is a winamp clone its the only other media software I've used.. anyways, when I first made the jump and totally ditched windows and installed Suse 10.0 I used xmms do to the fact that I had been running winamp for about 5 years so it was quite a natural move :) I decided to try something else and went for amarok since I run KDE. The only downside is that it doesn't play video(at least i think so) I doesn't matter for me tho since I like to keep my videos and music separate.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I use amarok for audio and VLC for video. Opensuse 10.2 by the way. Yeah wireless support still sucks for pretty much all distros, but it is getting better.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis