M

mitch57

Audioholic
I have a few questions about media servers.

Is there a media server that will allow you to copy all formats from the original media to the media server hard drive? Specifically I would like to be able to copy my entire CD, DVD-V, DVD-A, and SACD collection as well as mp3/wma files to the media server.

I'm pretty sure that most servers support the above features. However, can the media server play back DVDA and SACD disks in multichanel format in their uncompressed native format? In other words, do any of the media servers have the 6 analog outputs to connect to a pre/pro or receiver?

If these media servers are available are they cost prohibitive? I'm not willing to spend more then $3000.00 - $4000.00 on one. I think I read something about the kalidascope media server but it's more then $20000.00!! Way out of my price range!

I've thought about a DVD mega changer but I don't believe any exhist that play both DVDA and SACD.

Thanks in advanvce!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
They are cost prohibitive.

If you think about it, commercial grade DVDs are typically close to 10GB. So, for the equivalent of a 400 disc changer, you need 10 times 400 GB - or 4 TERRABYTES of hard drive space.

That's a really expensive computer with fast drives without the software to run and manage it all. Plus, DVD video can't be ripped legally to a computer without paying a licensing fee to DVD producers, which is what happens when you buy something like the kalidascope.

M

mitch57

Audioholic
BMXTRIX,

That's what I figured. That really sucks! Do you know of any other alternatives?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Mitch, at this time I really don't. About the closest you get is the Escient (www.escient.com) DVD controller unit, which really is low-end as far as this type of stuff is concerned. Even with it, you would need the DVD changer from one of the supported companies and it likely would not handle all the formats. It is the chepest and offers a lot of bang for the buck... but Escient has had years of serious problems with their equipment, and I'm not sure they are over the hump in customer service and product quality yet.

I believe Audio Request may have something out there... likely crazy expensive.

Really, what you do is just wait... You aren't the only one waiting, but without multi-terrabyte holgraphic hard drives available yet, we are limited a lot by hardware. The software isn't to much of an issue really. One of the big concerns is that if you belong to something like Net Flix, you will never (EVER!) buy a movie again. You rent it, rip it to your server, then never buy. It isn't something the DVD industry wants at all.

A DVD changer is about as good as it gets if you do a good job keeping track of things. My opinion - get some book shelves and track stuff unless you have a control system keeping track of things and an A/V switcher that can send the audio and video everywhere in your home. (I do) :) ;)

M

mitch57

Audioholic
BMXTRIX,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I don't believe there are any mega DVD Changers that handle both DVDA and SACD. I have a Integra DPC 8.5 six disk changer but I'm looking for a mega changer that can handle 300 disks or more.

I guess I will just have to sit tight and wait it out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis