Media Players / Servers

A

asjamias

Enthusiast
Guys I'm interested in building a media server I mainly convert all my DVD's to ISO [or any compatible format] and all my music is mp3 format. For you guys out there that have media servers what are you running GBPVR, Windows Media Center etc?

I'm not interested in recording live TV all I want to do is play my music and video files whatever I get I want to be able to use a remote control to control the interface. Also I'm not sure yet how I'm going to do my hardware setup for example I could have a media server in our family room and put these devices »http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882103603 out on my Receiver or TV or I could even use a low end pc for the client end.

I'm most likely leaning toward the pc route because a pc can play back nearly any media format under the sun. I'm heard good and bad things about devices like the DLink media centers for example it can't play a iso or it struggles to play divx. Anyway I woud like to know what you guys are using out there.

Rico

Rico

Audioholic
You can convert any PC into a nice HTPC by adding an good sound card and video card.

When I have people over the house, I hook my laptop up to my TV using a DVI/HDMI cable and voila, nice 37" screen. Add to that any keyboard/mouse/remote combo and you are good to go :)

A

asjamias

Enthusiast
You can convert any PC into a nice HTPC by adding an good sound card and video card.

When I have people over the house, I hook my laptop up to my TV using a DVI/HDMI cable and voila, nice 37" screen. Add to that any keyboard/mouse/remote combo and you are good to go :)
what model laptop do you have that has DVI or HDMI?

Rico

Rico

Audioholic
what model laptop do you have that has DVI or HDMI?
Dell Inspiron e1705. DVI out mine. I saw some sick HP's at BestBuy the other day, with Blu-Ray drive and HDMI output. Pricewise was a bit too much I think.

SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
You can pick up an original XBOX for ~$40, have it modified and install XBOX Media Center on it.

I've been using it for ~3 years now. Its an excellent networked media center. It handles every format I've ever thrown at it (supported codec/container list is in the hundreds) and it can stream off of any computer in your network.

If you pick up the HD/AV connector for it you get upscaling over component video to 1080i, and a TosLink connector for passing through Dolby Digital and DTS audio.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis