Maximizing my budget for Def Tech's

M

Mr. Goodbar

Audiophyte
Hey again everyone. I've decided I want to go with Definitive Technology for my home theater speakers because I've heard and want the effect of the bi-polar soundfield. I posed the question before about getting the 7006 towers with the built-in subs vs. getting some other front speakers and a dedicated sub. I have also decided that I would much prefer a separate sub to give me the better bass extension.

That being said. I am looking for ways to maximize my setup for my budget. I ultimately would like to keep everything (speakers and sub) to less than $2000. Right now the setup I am looking at would be:

BP8B - Fronts
C/L/R 2002 - Center
BP2X - Rears

I would like to go with a Velodyne sub as I am uncomfortable purchasing online and prefer having a dealer I can go back to in case I need to. Plus, I can get a 15% discount at the dealer. What I would like to know is:

1. Can I save money but not lose much quality by going with different Center or Surround speakers (i.e. - ProCenter C2, BP 1.2X)?
  2. What is a good Velodyne sub I could get to keep me in my range?

I'm basically looking for a good arrangement that will keep me in my budget. Any help would be much appreciated.

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
I think I'd try to stay with the BP2X surrounds, both for a better timbre match to the BP8Bs, as well as for some better bass extension that will be closer to the bass extension of your front and center speakers. That way you can use a fairly low cross-over to the sub (80 Hz. or maybe even a bit lower). (Since most receivers don't let you separately set the cross-over frequency for each channel.)

(As an aside, I have the older BP10s for fronts, the old C1 for a center, and a pair of BP1s for surrounds. The BP1's are more or less similar to today's BP1.2s, I think.) When cycling pink noise around all of my speakers, I hear a noticeable timbre difference between the surrounds and the fronts/center. My belief is that this timbre difference would be reduced quite a bit if I had BP2X's.)

I know you wanted to avoid an on-line sub-woofer purchase, but there are an awful lot of people with SVS and Hsu subs on this forum who are very happy campers. They are both very good values, and might allow some money saving. Worth thinking about, anyway.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Definitely keep the BP2Xs and go with the ProCenter C2. When I purchased mine 7/04, I didn't think the SQ difference was worth the extra $200. If you must purchase a sub locally I suggest trying to do a comparison of the Velodyne DPS-12 and the Def Tech ProSub 200TL.

PS. You should be able to get a 10%-15% discount from the retailer on the Def Techs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis