Max Range Wireless Router?

D

DBooger

Audioholic Intern
I have a 2Wire 2710 which came with my ATT DSL. The signal won't reach to my theater, and I'd prefer not to relocate the router. Any suggestions for a max range router? TIA.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
That unit has a built-in antenna that isn't very good.
Doesn't it have a power boost setting? It's hidden somewhere in the set-up menu.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have a 2Wire 2710 which came with my ATT DSL. The signal won't reach to my theater, and I'd prefer not to relocate the router. Any suggestions for a max range router? TIA.
I doubt the 2wire has an external antenna, but if it does you could add a 7dB omni.

You could also get a MIMO router and just run a plug from one of it's LAN ports to a LAN port on the 2Wire.

Kill the wireless on the 2Wire and setup the MIMO router. On the MIMO you would turn off DHCP (you will still do that through the 2Wire). Set the IP address of the MIMO to to same network. For example if the 2Wire is 192.168.0.1, DHCP is set for 192.168.0.100-149. Then I would set my MIMO for .254.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You could also try the "through the wires" connection method. Utilizing power outlets. I haven't tried one of these, but it shouldn't be slower than wireless.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
You could also try the "through the wires" connection method. Utilizing power outlets. I haven't tried one of these, but it shouldn't be slower than wireless.
I've had issues using them with surge protectors. Just something to be mindful of.

For range, pick up a used WRT54GL on eBay, slap a high gain antenna on it, install Tomato firmware. Replace WRT54GL with a new Buffalo (I forget the model right now, I'll post it later), replace firmware with DD-WRT, same deal.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis