Matte vs Glossy screens

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey guys (and gals?), I'm trying to decide between a matte vs a glossy screen for my new macbook pro. I'll be using it for photo editing, web browsing, lots of reading, even more office files (excel, word), and light video editing. I'm leaning towards the matte because I feel like it will be easier on the eyes and have more accurate colors.

Mac vs PC aside, what's your personal screen preference?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey guys (and gals?), I'm trying to decide between a matte vs a glossy screen for my new macbook pro. I'll be using it for photo editing, web browsing, lots of reading, even more office files (excel, word), and light video editing. I'm leaning towards the matte because I feel like it will be easier on the eyes and have more accurate colors.

Mac vs PC aside, what's your personal screen preference?
Just like photographic paper, glossy will look sharper but it reflects more ambient light, too. If you can control the light behind you when you're working with this computer, a glossy screen will be better. If you're doing photo editing, you'll need to calibrate the screen- some good ones are out there for not a ton of money. I used to see them in Outdoor Photographer and PC Photo magazines.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I would go glossy too for photo and video. I would only do matte if I were using it strictly for writing.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I do have a Dell Studio XPS 16 with a 16" glossy monitor, it's perfectly fine as long as there are no reflections and no strong light sources around... but if there is any reflections, it's not really so good......

I would prefer matte

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
If you getting a MacBook, it suggests that you will be using it in different areas, which means different lighting conditions. If that is the case, then I would go with the matte.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My work laptop has a gloss screen and I hate it. No matter what I do, it is a dust magnet and then it is tougher to clean when it is dirty which is pretty much all the time. End of line.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
My work laptop has a gloss screen and I hate it. No matter what I do, it is a dust magnet and then it is tougher to clean when it is dirty which is pretty much all the time. End of line.
Oh yes, the cleaning part too is horrible..... like always
The glossy screens should come bundled with a cleaner assistent

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Did you get a quad core?
I got the 15" 2.3 Ghz quad core i7. it's pretty snazzy :D

I swapped out the 5400 rpm hard drive with a 7200 I already had, and I'll be upgrading the ram to 8gb.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I got the 15" 2.3 Ghz quad core i7. it's pretty snazzy :D

I swapped out the 5400 rpm hard drive with a 7200 I already had, and I'll be upgrading the ram to 8gb.
Sweeeet! I was going to say swap out that drive. I don't know why Apple puts in those 5400 speed drives:confused: I put in a hybrid drive in my wife's 2.2 core 2 duo macbook and it made a big difference.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Glossy can be nice, but given the choice, I would go with matte.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis