S

sls7u

Audiophyte
How important is it to have all of your speakers be the same brand/series. Specifically, I'm looking at getting a pair of Rocket fronts and am not sure whether I should get their sub, an Outlaw or an SVS. Thanks for the help!

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the fronts are supposed to be matching. the sub doesnt have to be from the same manufacturer ... any brand will do.

S

sls7u

Audiophyte
what about matching the front L&R to the center channel??

thanks for the info.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
its very very recommended that the center match the left and rights. because there are times that the sound moves from the right to the center and to the left and vice versa. (you wouldnt want to hear a sudden difference in sound when it passes the center)

S

sploo

Full Audioholic
I'd second mike c's comments.

You definitely want your front three speakers to be a 'sonic match', so when sound pans across them it sounds consistent.

I have a couple of bits of surround music which pan around all five speakers, so it's nice if they're all a good match, but this is generally less critical.

A sub can be from any manufacturer, but make sure it 'fits' with your system. I tried a well reviewed Velodyne unit with my setup, and it just didn't work. In an ideal world, the roll off between your speakers and sub should be transparent.

S

sls7u

Audiophyte
what are your recs?

Currently I have a 5.1 set-up and hope/plan to have a nice 7.2 within about 5 years or so. Would it be reasonable to upgrade my front L&R to match my center (Ascend 340c) for now, then eventually make the Ascends my surrounds when I can afford even nicer fronts/center (these would likely be from a different manufacturer)?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ideally, you want to match all of the speakers - same brand/family. As has been said already, the front 3 are the most important to match. 340s all around would be a very nice setup. Unless you have a very large room, I can't see most people needing to upgrade from them. I'd say it's a good start to the plan, then invest the cash you save into a nice sub and be done :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis