Matching speaker and av receiver help!

S

SpeakerRookie

Enthusiast
I am an audio rookie trying to learn here. So i am thinking of buying ELAC Debut F5 floorstanding, C5 center and B5 bookshelf speakers. Their sensitivities are between 85 - 87 db. I have an old harmon kardon avr 144 and it outputs 30W/channel. SO i read that having an under powered amp can fry your speakers i was wondering if this harmon kardon is good enough? if not what kinds of speakers will my amp be able to power?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The H/K receiver should be sufficient, unless you like really loud playback. Give it a try, and if it doesn't get loud enough for your tastes, get something with more power.

S

SpeakerRookie

Enthusiast
i like putting the volume to -20db or -15 db. which can be pretty loud but do you think that is too much?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
85dB is pretty low, but 87 is not terrible. Basically, you'll have to listen to it and see how it sounds. If it sounds "muddy" or isn't getting any louder, then you'll need to look at a new receiver.

You can get some good deals on a refurb receiver from www.ac4l.com they are a certified repair center and sell refurbed receivers as well as some new ones for good prices.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
i like putting the volume to -20db or -15 db. which can be pretty loud but do you think that is too much?
When you change the speakers you most likely need to use different volume setting to get your preferred listening volume. You should be fine as long as you don't need to push to close maximum power of your receiver.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis