Matched Speaker / Tuner Combo Recommendation

J

jimincfalls

Enthusiast
I'm looking to upgrade my stereo. Realistically, I can probably make due with two front speakers and a matched tuner (maybe add a middle speaker at some point). I watch a fair amount of movies, but really want great music sound from CDs and other digital music. If a hardrive can be plugged directly into the receiver, all the better. Not sure if that exists.

Current favorite CDs include Miles Davis Kind of Blue, Coltrane's Love Supreme and Yes' Topographic Oceans. Would like to put on Kind of Blue and feel like I'm "inside" the music, if that makes sense. Some folks talk about the speakers "disappearing", I think that's the same. Don't need earth shaking bass, but would like to really hear / feel Paul Chambers bass on So What. Heard some DefTech 8040s and liked them. I don't necessarily need a powered woofer in the tower. Heard good things about the Goldenear Triton 7 and will visit a dealer in my area soon.

Budget would be in the $2000 dollar range, although I could probably go as high as $3000.

thx in advance.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
First off, I assume you mean receiver, not tuner, correct?

Second, do you want to stay with two channel or eventually use that same receiver to grow into multi-channel?

Finally. in either case, start auditioning speakers. They pander to personal taste aod one persons perfect speaker may be anothers garbage.

Start auditioning your right and left speakers, and consider a matching center while you're at it. The electronics will fall into place once you've found the right speakers.

J

jimincfalls

Enthusiast
First off, I assume you mean receiver, not tuner, correct?

Second, do you want to stay with two channel or eventually use that same receiver to grow into multi-channel?

Finally. in either case, start auditioning speakers. They pander to personal taste aod one persons perfect speaker may be anothers garbage.

Start auditioning your right and left speakers, and consider a matching center while you're at it. The electronics will fall into place once you've found the right speakers.
Yes, "receiver". I'm also looking eventually into going with more than a two speaker setup.

J

jimincfalls

Enthusiast
Update:

I've been checking out recievers (AVR) and speakers and have narrowed down my search to the following:
AVR: Anthem 310 / 510 (need to decide on c zone and 5 vs 7 channel)
Speakers: Paradigm Studio 10 / 20 or Goldenear Aon 2 or 3
Blueray Player: TBD
Other: Apple TV or Roku

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Have an army buddy lives in medinah. Been there once. Loved the people. Peace.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Jim, if you're going for bookshelf-sized speakers, I think you'll want a sub. What are the dimensions of the room this system is going into? Carpet or reflective? Cathedral ceilings? Can you describe it for us?

Also, for the receiver, I second zieg's recommendation for Marantz. Consider the Marantz SR line (SR5008, SR6008, SR7008). They've got honest power, Audyssey XT (the SR7008 has XT32 with Sub EQ), and a USB port on the front for plugging in a hard drive. Audyssey dynamic EQ is great for making the EQ sound the same at any volume; and dynamic volume is fantastic for watching movies and TV at lower volumes.

Last edited:
R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Current favorite CDs include Miles Davis Kind of Blue, Coltrane's Love Supreme and Yes' Topographic Oceans. Would like to put on Kind of Blue and feel like I'm "inside" the music, if that makes sense. Some folks talk about the speakers "disappearing", I think that's the same. Don't need earth shaking bass, but would like to really hear / feel Paul Chambers bass on So What. Heard some DefTech 8040s and liked them. I don't necessarily need a powered woofer in the tower. Heard good things about the Goldenear Triton 7 and will visit a dealer in my area soon.

Budget would be in the $2000 dollar range, although I could probably go as high as $3000.
Jim, this is good info. Also tell us, how big is the room and how far do you sit from the speakers? Do you prefer bookshelf speakers or towers?

The choices could vary depending on the way you place this setup.

J

jimincfalls

Enthusiast
Hey Jim, if you're going for bookshelf-sized speakers, I think you'll want a sub. What are the dimensions of the room this system is going into? Carpet or reflective? Cathedral ceilings? Can you describe it for us?

Also, for the receiver, I second zieg's recommendation for Marantz. Consider the Marantz SR line (SR5008, SR6008, SR7008). They've got honest power, Audyssey XT (the SR7008 has XT32 with Sub EQ), and a USB port on the front for plugging in a hard drive. Audyssey dynamic EQ is great for making the EQ sound the same at any volume; and dynamic volume is fantastic for watching movies and TV at lower volumes.
thx for the feedback. I live an a two level lofted apartment, so the system would be set up in a room about 15ft x 25ft (1/2 the room has a vaulted ceiling the other half is under the loft, if that makes sense). I'd be sitting about 10 feet from the speakers. There is carpeting on the floor. I'm leaning more toward a good bookshelf, since I have neighbors (maybe use them as part of a surround sound system later with some towers). I like the feel of sub woofer, but the gal that lives downstairs would definitely feel it through the floor, so that could wait.

J

jimincfalls

Enthusiast
Put the MB Quart Alexxa Towers on a short list >> MB Quart made some good stuff
A serious good price - or, go to Amazon and spend about $1000 each > your choice.:)
AS-S1CPB (Single)*| MB Quart

A subjective review of the Alexxa B bookshelf
REVIEW: MB Quart Alexxa AS-B1 Speakers - NeuGeo - Speaker Asylum

The bookshelf version is also still available
AS-B1PB (Pair)*| MB Quart
Thx for the heads up. I'm working in a project near Chicago and MB is about 14 minutes away. Going to call to see if they have a storefront for checking out the speakers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thx for the heads up. I'm working in a project near Chicago and MB is about 14 minutes away. Going to call to see if they have a storefront for checking out the speakers.
Enjoy the adventure

J

jimincfalls

Enthusiast
I've made my final purchase on my AVR / Speaker setup and, thanks to some good input from the forum members, managed to come in under budget. Final purchases:

Marantz SR6008 - $768 (including shipping) – Refurbished - Accessories4Less
MB Quart Alexxa S-One Speakers (cherry) - $740 (Including Shipping) - Maxxsonics
Samsung BD-H5900 – $80 (with coupons) - Best Buy
Total $1588 (not including cables)

I'm very happy with the sound. The Alexxa S-One speakers are impressive with enough bass for me, even without a powered sub woofer. Paul Chamber's bass on "So What" comes through clean, defined and deep (exactly what I was looking for). Love Supreme by John Coltrane was equally defined. I felt I could hear / see each drum and cymbal in the drum set.

While I haven't experimented with streaming from my laptop or hooking up a hard drive directly to the AVR, the Marantz is definitely up to the task. I'm running my cable feed through the AVR and using the ARC to connect to a Samsung 6400 55". Flipping through the channels I came across Iron Man scene where Robert Downey Jr. was being chased in his suit by some fighters. The sound was incredible.

Maxxonics and Accessories4Less both provided excellent customer service with very knowledgeable technical support.

Thanks for all you input. I'm very happy with my set up. By far the best stereo system I've ever owned.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis