Match receiver to existing surround speakers?

B

Brian F

Audiophyte
Hello all,
Have existing front and surround speakers already installed in ceiling. They are Sony SS-TS71 (surround) and SS-TS72 Front. They seem to be good speakers. I think they originally came as as part of a relatively low end package system (previous homeowner just left them behind).

They speakers show impedence of 3ohms.

What specs should a 5.1 receiver have to work with these speakers? (impedence, wattage, etc)
Any recommendation on a good receiver that I could find used on the bay for around $100?
Would any center channel and sub rated at 3ohms pair well with these?
Any recommendation on center/sub?

Anything I'm overlooking? Would just like to get a decent low end system working (inexpensively) as my entre into home theatre,

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Brian

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
No receiver to reccomend for Sony 3 ohm speakers, I would
toss them and start over.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

The lower the impedance, the higher the current draw on the receiver. If you don't listen at loud volumes, you'd probably be fine with a lot of receivers. After all, the receiver that came with those speakers was pretty inexpensive. If you get a receiver with current/over temp protection, you shouldn't damage the receiver.

I don't have any specific recommendations. Are there any that you have your eye on?

B

Brian F

Audiophyte
Well, now that I've spent some time doing research online, I think I may take Jim Z's advise, removing those speakers and starting over from scratch. It appears that I could get a decent 5.1 HTIB system from Sony (see HT-SS-370) or others for under $200. House is already wired so should be easy.

So now the question becomes....Are there some other good quality and generally recommended entry-level 5.1 HTIB systems that can be had used for $200 or less?

thanks
Brian

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have no better suggestion for you at that price range, but a warning. Someone i lived with had a set of sony 5.1 speakers very similar to these and I honestly felt the TV speakers sounded better. The dialog coming from the center channel was extremely unintelligible and required quite high volume. I would stay away from this.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well, now that I've spent some time doing research online, I think I may take Jim Z's advise, removing those speakers and starting over from scratch. It appears that I could get a decent 5.1 HTIB system from Sony (see HT-SS-370) or others for under $200. House is already wired so should be easy.

So now the question becomes....Are there some other good quality and generally recommended entry-level 5.1 HTIB systems that can be had used for $200 or less?
That is a tight budget - see if you can stretch for this
Denon package.
DENON DHT-391XP 5.1-Channel Home Theater System | Accessories4less

You can save for better speakers in the future.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis