Master & Commander, bang at 17 minutes, 24 seconds

P

PeterWhite

Audioholic
A few years ago I bought the Blu-Ray of Master and Commander. At 17 minutes 24 seconds into the movie, there's a huge bang, clearly not a part of the movie. I never returned the disc to Amazon. I recently bought another new copy, and played it last night. Same huge bang at the same time in the movie. I've had the same bang from the first disc in Battlestar Gallactica, but otherwise no problems playing several hundred Blu-Rays. The two M&C discs have different printing as well as having different cover art on the cases. Clearly not from the same production run. What could be going on here?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Two discs mentioned each being dtshdma and one thing comes to mind. "dtshdma bit bombs!" Unless you do a video to show this.

You can get around this.

One is to get another AVR that isn't prone to dtshdma bit bombs and some Dolby trueHD audio-drop-outs and disc pausing freezing that triggers some glitch with the disc pausing on certain scenes in Total Recall (2012).

If your Onkyo has multi-channel 6/8 input RCA and the bluray player has same 6/8 RCA outputs you use the players own decoder without any snags. The dtshdma bit bomb and Dolby trueHD audio drop-outs, only happens to be on a few titles and I doubt the issue has been fixed with new discs being created.

So connect up 8 RCA leads from the Oppo bdp-103 to Onkyo TX-SR805 and select the AUIDO SEL on the front of Onkyo from HDMI to Multich Direct for these few titles you have. You can't use the PLIIx to extend the surrounds in this mode since it bypasses the surround DSP features.

Also Master & Commander has had the frequency response filtered restricted I think 30Hz is what everyone else noticed, the DVD has better low end extension.

Last edited:
B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
You can also try setting your Blu-ray player to output PCM instead of Bitstream over HDMI. It's still doing the decoding instead of the receiver but can use your current HDMI interconnect.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis