Massdrop Hifiman HE4XX Possibly As Low As $170

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Based on the sensitivity rating in the description they appear to be a custom version of Hifiman's HE-400i. I'd hoped that they would do the "S" version but this is still a great price. This drop starts 8/3/2017 and does not yet have an estimated fulfillment date but it could be a while. Massdrop waits until they can combine all customer orders before finalizing their order with the manufacturer that could be weeks or months.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones?

From the site:

Planar Magnetics Like You’ve Never Seen Before

Many headphone companies have tried their hand at planar magnetic drivers, but none have done it quite like HIFIMAN. The result of founder Dr. Fang’s PhD research at Columbia University, its driver technology has landed the company in TIME, Forbes, and CNET’s “The Audiophiliac,” and won it the CES Editors’ Choice Award. Now, that tech is available at an unheard-of price in the Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE4XX: a pair of high-efficiency, open-back planar magnetics that don’t need a fancy amp to sound amazing. Listen to them directly from your smartphone, laptop, or desktop computer, or add a headphone amp to take them to the next level. The sound is smooth, engaging, and even across the frequency range, with airy, sparkly highs and the planar bass slam that HIFIMAN is known for.

Note: The Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE4XX Planar Magnetic Headphones will be available starting August 3 at 6 a.m. PT for $169.99.

Specs
  • Massdrop x HIFIMAN
  • Open principle
  • Planar magnetic drivers
  • Exclusive midnight-blue colorway
  • Soft-touch matte finish
  • Spring steel and hand-stitched protein leather headband
  • Focus-A hybrid ear pads
  • Adjustable sliders
  • Steel gimbals and Allen screws with black oxide finish
  • Silver printing
  • Laser-etched serialization
  • Frequency response: 20 Hz–35 kHz
  • Sensitivity: 93 dB
  • Impedance: 35 ohms
  • Cable: 4.9 ft (1.5 m), removable
  • Plug: ¼ in (6.35 mm)
  • Weight: 13.1 oz (370 g)

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Another interesting headphone pair from massdrop.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Sometimes they have really great deals, sometimes they aren't much cheaper than Amazon, if these are really HE400I and not the older HE400 then it's a good deal. I picked up Massdrop's Sennheiser PC37X gaming headset and I like them a lot for gaming. It does not include PC373D's simulated 7.1 USB DAC but It's $80 cheaper than the PC373D and are likely the same thing.

I don't have a powerful enough headphone amp to drive the HE400x so I'll pass on these and keep saving. I have a few really good closed back cans but I really want a new set of open-backs.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Estimated ship date is Dec 18, 2017 PT.
That's why I didn't jump on the Senn HD6XX deal. I'm not much for delayed for months gratification. Well that and I'd need a more powerful headphone amp to drive them properly.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Sometimes they have really great deals, sometimes they aren't much cheaper than Amazon, if these are really HE400I and not the older HE400 then it's a good deal. I picked up Massdrop's Sennheiser PC37X gaming headset and I like them a lot for gaming. It does not include PC373D's simulated 7.1 USB DAC but It's $80 cheaper than the PC373D and are likely the same thing.

I don't have a powerful enough headphone amp to drive the HE400x so I'll pass on these and keep saving. I have a few really good closed back cans but I really want a new set of open-backs.
They are rated at 35 Ohm and should be easy to drive with any amp.. Even mobile phone should be capable of running these as they are so low impedance, of course phone aint perfect for the sound but can do it.

That's why I didn't jump on the Senn HD6XX deal. I'm not much for delayed for months gratification. Well that and I'd need a more powerful headphone amp to drive them properly.
How powerfull amp you would need then? As for me receivers headphone out can run HD600 really well.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
They are rated at 35 Ohm and should be easy to drive with any amp.. Even mobile phone should be capable of running these as they are so low impedance, of course phone aint perfect for the sound but can do it.
Efficiency is rated at 93db vs 98db for the HE400S, most of the reviews that I've read and watched recommended using the 400i with a headphone amp. My Dragonfly would drive the heck out of a 400S.

For now I'm in no rush to pull the trigger on anything. I have really-really good IEMs and closed back headphones that I mainly use at the dog park and while enjoying a latte at the coffee house. I'd like to pick up a newer set of open-backs but I'm not in a huge rush to do anything. I don't need them, but I'd kind of like a set for when I'm relaxing in my yard in a lawn chair. Again, no rush.

How powerfull amp you would need then? As for me receivers headphone out can run HD600 really well.
I ran my HD500s off a receiver (my old portable headphone amp struggled) and they sounded pretty good with the receiver but I always felt that the HD500 would sound even better if driven off a dedicated headphone DAC and amp. I'm probably not going to buy anymore headphones or a headphone amp this year, but just in case another deal of HD600s pops up, I've been thinking about a Schiit Audio's Modi 2 DAC and Magni 2-Uber headphone amp. Not exactly super high-end but I would think this would be plenty of power for the HD600 at a reasonable price, I could be wrong though.

http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-2

As an FYI these are the specs for the Magni 2 Uber:

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-250KHz, -3dB

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.1W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.5W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 320mW RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 160mW RMS per channel

THD: Less than 0.002%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS

IMD: Less than 0.003%, CCIF

SNR: Greater than 104db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS

Crosstalk: -70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz

Output Impedance: Less than 0.2 ohms

Gain: 1.5 (3db) or 6 (15.6db), selectable via rear switch
Preamp Output: Yes, controlled by volume pot and switched via headphone jack
Topology: Fully discrete FET/bipolar, constant feedback through audio band, complementary VAS drive, Class AB, DC coupled throughout

Protection: Standard failsafe DC power input and muting relay

Power Supply: “Wall wart” style 24VA 14VAC transformer, regulated +/-15V rails, with over 6,000uf filter capacitance
Power Consumption: 5W

Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25”

Weight: 1 lb​

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Efficiency is rated at 93db vs 98db for the HE400S, most of the reviews that I've read and watched recommended using the 400i with a headphone amp. My Dragonfly would drive the heck out of a 400S.

For now I'm in no rush to pull the trigger on anything. I have really-really good IEMs and closed back headphones that I mainly use at the dog park and while enjoying a latte at the coffee house. I'd like to pick up a newer set of open-backs but I'm not in a huge rush to do anything. I don't need them, but I'd kind of like a set for when I'm relaxing in my yard in a lawn chair. Again, no rush.

I ran my HD500s off a receiver (my old portable headphone amp struggled) and they sounded pretty good with the receiver but I always felt that the HD500 would sound even better if driven off a dedicated headphone DAC and amp. I'm probably not going to buy anymore headphones or a headphone amp this year, but just in case another deal of HD600s pops up, I've been thinking about a Schiit Audio's Modi 2 DAC and Magni 2-Uber headphone amp. Not exactly super high-end but I would think this would be plenty of power for the HD600 at a reasonable price, I could be wrong though.

http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-2

As an FYI these are the specs for the Magni 2 Uber:

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-250KHz, -3dB

Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2.1W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.5W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 320mW RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 160mW RMS per channel

THD: Less than 0.002%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS

IMD: Less than 0.003%, CCIF

SNR: Greater than 104db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS

Crosstalk: -70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz

Output Impedance: Less than 0.2 ohms

Gain: 1.5 (3db) or 6 (15.6db), selectable via rear switch
Preamp Output: Yes, controlled by volume pot and switched via headphone jack
Topology: Fully discrete FET/bipolar, constant feedback through audio band, complementary VAS drive, Class AB, DC coupled throughout

Protection: Standard failsafe DC power input and muting relay

Power Supply: “Wall wart” style 24VA 14VAC transformer, regulated +/-15V rails, with over 6,000uf filter capacitance
Power Consumption: 5W

Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25”

Weight: 1 lb​
93db and 98db are pretty meaningless as with both you will get permanent damage to your ears. 35 Ohm load should be easy to drive for any device, of course they can benefit from amp but it doesn't really matter if it is dedicated headphone amp or receiver headphone amp, at least from higher end receivers, not sure how the headphone sections are in lower end receivers.

HD600 require some power yes, but that is not so much as their maximum power handling is 0.2w so I would say for normal listening volume you are under 0.1w. They do sound a lot better from receiver headphone amp when you compare to listening without amp but that is expected as they are 300 Ohm cans.

If you want to be set for headphone amp I would get this, as you wont get any better dac/amp combos no matter what price range: https://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/objective2-odac-combo-revb/

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It looks like the first youtube review is up. I don't know anything about this guy so take it with a grain of salt.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
If you want to be set for headphone amp I would get this, as you wont get any better dac/amp combos no matter what price range: https://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/objective2-odac-combo-revb/
Thank you! I have a good deal of respect for your experience and I'll keep your advice in mind as I continue my research. I'm not rushing right now because (with closed closed doors and windows) I can muddle through with speakers (playing as loud as I like) while at home and if I eventually buy open-back cans it'll be more of a whim purchase than because of any real need for them. For now it's a thought exercise.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

It looks like the first youtube review is up. I don't know anything about this guy so take it with a grain of salt.

As he is doing headphone recordings in youtube for comparison I would not give that a lot weight, he tells hes opinion about the differences and thats it imo. Everyone hears differently so you really need to listen to them yourself to tell do you like it better or not.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
That's why my grain of salt comment. Unfortunately there are very few places around here to try out headphones and when you find one the selection is so limited that it's worthless. That's where comparisons like this one have value, they may not be able to tell you if you'll like how they sound but they can, if done honestly, point out differences in how they sound. For example, in almost every review/comparison between the HE400i vs HE400S that I've read or watched the reviewer found the the 400i to be more "clinical", "grainy" and a bit bright, while the HE400S is usually described as a bit warmer, smoother, and relaxed. That's where these kinds of reviews/comparisons have value (once there are enough comparisons to establish a consensus about the sound signature), especially to someone like me that find overly bright speakers and cans fatiguing. Will any of them sound good to my spoiled ears, I have no way of knowing beyond reading/listening to enough opinions. A pair of Audioholics' reviews is how I wound up with my RBH IEMs and headphones and I've been happy with both so far, but I generally trust Gene's opinions based on experience with his opinions and various members whose tastes I've grown to trust over the last decade.

http://www.audioholics.com/headphone-reviews/rbh-ep-sb-earphone-review
http://www.audioholics.com/headphone-reviews/rbh-hp-2-headphones-review

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja

You inspired me to take my old HD500s out of a closet and try them with my current receiver (neither my old receiver or my now very old portable headphone amp did them justice) and what a pleasant surprise. I'm now content with my open cans. Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis