Martin Landau, George Romero, Tobe Hooper, RIP

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Today was a twofer for me. I have enjoyed some of Landau's stuff, like Ed Wood and Crimes and Misdemeanors, which are some of Tim Burton's and Woody Allen's best films respectively. Its sad, but he was 89, so not so unexpected. A fine actor passed away with an extraordinary filmography.

However, George Romero's death hits me a lot harder. I grew up with this guy's stuff. I grew up with the dead trilogy. I loved Night of the Living Dead as a kid, but it wasn't until I was much older that I fully appreciated its artistry. I have long regarded it as one of the most perfect films ever made. You can't change one little thing about it without making it worse. It is one of the few perfect movies. His had other very good movies as well, and Dawn of the Dead is rightly regarded as a masterpiece, but Night of the Living Dead will always be his standout work. It is a movie that changed horror movies, it invented our modern conception of zombies, but in itself transcends its genre. No zombie movie has ever topped it, and there have been hundreds, if not thousands of movies it has directly influenced. I suppose that is because it is more than a zombie movie- hell is is more than just a movie period, it is one of the most perfect realizations of a nightmare to be captured on film.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Man, just saw George Romero's mention and hadn't heard about Landau. I feel the same Landau was a fixture in so many things I saw growing up, but Romero's films changed everything. Already a horror fan since mom loved horror films and shows so I was exposed to them early, Night of the Living Dead still shocked and surprised me. I was still young when I saw Dawn of the Dead in the theater and I was fully hooked.

RIP Martin.

RIP George.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
And now Tobe Hooper passes. Of the great horror film directors that came of age during the 70's, it looks like John Carpenter and Dario Argento are the last ones. Wes Craven died two years ago, George Romero a month ago, and now Hooper.

Hooper's 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' might have a lurid title, but the movie itself is a masterpiece of film making. He made a few other good movies, but nothing approaches Massacre, in my opinion, but then, few movies do. The setup, the editing, the set design, sound design, pacing, everything is perfect. Like Night of the Living Dead, it is a rare flawless movie. I think one of the best edited scenes in film history is the dinner scene in Massacre. It is brilliant.

One other movie by Hooper I will mention is 'The Mangler.' The is an often-derided movie that I actually enjoy (although I have not seen it in many years). It is based on a Steven King story and is a part of his subgenre of 'evil objects' stories like 'Christine.' The Mangler is ridiculous, it is about a killer steam press, but if you were going to make a movie about a murderous steam press, 'The Mangler' does it about as well as that could be done. If you don't take it too seriously, I think it is really enjoyable. It's an absurd, fun movie. Give this movie a chance if you want to be amused for an hour and a half. Watch it with friends and some booze for a good time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And now Tobe Hooper passes. Of the great horror film directors that came of age during the 70's, it looks like John Carpenter and Dario Argento are the last ones. Wes Craven died two years ago, George Romero a month ago, and now Hooper.

Hooper's 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre' might have a lurid title, but the movie itself is a masterpiece of film making. He made a few other good movies, but nothing approaches Massacre, in my opinion, but then, few movies do. The setup, the editing, the set design, sound design, pacing, everything is perfect. Like Night of the Living Dead, it is a rare flawless movie. I think one of the best edited scenes in film history is the dinner scene in Massacre. It is brilliant.

One other movie by Hooper I will mention is 'The Mangler.' The is an often-derided movie that I actually enjoy (although I have not seen it in many years). It is based on a Steven King story and is a part of his subgenre of 'evil objects' stories like 'Christine.' The Mangler is ridiculous, it is about a killer steam press, but if you were going to make a movie about a murderous steam press, 'The Mangler' does it about as well as that could be done. If you don't take it too seriously, I think it is really enjoyable. It's an absurd, fun movie. Give this movie a chance if you want to be amused for an hour and a half. Watch it with friends and some booze for a good time.
I read that story! I never knew they made a movie out of it though. It is a pretty ridiculous premise.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis