Mark Schifter Arrested Again

jinjuku

jinjuku

I like the saying forgive, don't forget. As long as he's not in a making binding promises or handling financials...

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Well, Liederman is right in that MLS has every right to work in the audio business. There was nothing in the sentencing that placed restrictions on the industries he could be employed with. Further, the more money he makes, the quicker can all the affected parties receive what is owed them. Liederman, as some may remember, was stated to the person where the RSL-II speakers could be bought but that never quite worked out. And those who paid in advance for those speakers, either in whole or in part, became part of the second group of felony charges brought against MLS for which he plead guilty to.

As to Liederman being a friend, well sure. Even Madoff has friends despite his massive embezzlement. But to say everyone who has come into contact with him loves him, well that's a trait that has been used to ends other than customer service. It has been used to beguile many. I also take issue with saying that sometimes good people do bad things and that he is in the process of paying back the monies. His finances are supposed to be overseen by the appropriate Colorado agencies from which the appropriate amounts go to the victims. But bear in mind, this only applies to the two convictions in Colorado.

What about the civil suit in California that MLS lost to a person who is known as Uncle Paul? He is still owed in the neighborhood of 50K. What about the monies owed to Danny Richie or the commissions that were owed to Seaton? Then we have the six figure or more monies owed to that fellow in Colombia as well as the dude from ONYX that never got paid? Those and more are entitled to restitution. Will they be among those who will one day be made whole again?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, Liederman is right in that MLS has every right to work in the audio business. There was nothing in the sentencing that placed restrictions on the industries he could be employed with. Further, the more money he makes, the quicker can all the affected parties receive what is owed them. Liederman, as some may remember, was stated to the person where the RSL-II speakers could be bought but that never quite worked out. And those who paid in advance for those speakers, either in whole or in part, became part of the second group of felony charges brought against MLS for which he plead guilty to.

As to Liederman being a friend, well sure. Even Madoff has friends despite his massive embezzlement. But to say everyone who has come into contact with him loves him, well that's a trait that has been used to ends other than customer service. It has been used to beguile many. I also take issue with saying that sometimes good people do bad things and that he is in the process of paying back the monies. His finances are supposed to be overseen by the appropriate Colorado agencies from which the appropriate amounts go to the victims. But bear in mind, this only applies to the two convictions in Colorado.

What about the civil suit in California that MLS lost to a person who is known as Uncle Paul? He is still owed in the neighborhood of 50K. What about the monies owed to Danny Richie or the commissions that were owed to Seaton? Then we have the six figure or more monies owed to that fellow in Colombia as well as the dude from ONYX that never got paid? Those and more are entitled to restitution. Will they be among those who will one day be made whole again?
Good questions. Is he owning up to all his transgressions? Or just the ones that the courts held him accountable to?

And yes, if everyone he meets loves him, then I see how that can easily be used to manipulate people out of $.

Once you lose trust and credibility............

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
To the best of my knowledge, he is. I know the first person to get paid on the charity scam has received the monies the court said he was owed. It was a slow process according to him. Some time ago, I made an inquiry to the AG's office about some things and was informed that matters were then as they are now, overseen by his probation officer so I don't know how many of the other charities have been addressed. You'd think with his gift of gab he'd have turned to motivational speaking or the ministry. Also, I have no idea who in the industry have forgiven him and enthusiastically welcomed his participation in the audio fraternity.

D

dallasmavscowboys

Audiophyte
Hi everyone. I just became aware of the "Audiophile" world after being talked out of buying a Bose system by a friend. Just picked up a pair of B&W's dm 602's instead and enjoy them.

I was also going to purchase a pair of Onix Rocket rs450's that are for sale locally but I am just now finding out all about Mark and what he got wrapped up in...the fraud, lies and etc.

My question is, if he ripped off people, took their money and etc, how did people end up getting the speakers? I am sure everyone has already talked about this ad nauseam as it has be several years since it went down, but could someone please fill me in?

The Onix rs450's get great reviews from what I've found, but I've also read that some of the equipment from avs123 and/or Onix was cheap and poorly made due to lack of oversight. Does anyone in the audiophile world still use Onix speakers or have they been remitted to the bargain bin?

Any thoughts and/or advice is much appreciated.

-Best

edit: I also am looking into a pair of Onix rs750's that I found

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
The majority of speakers that people ordered from AV123 were delivered as expected.

I know some people who are still happily using Rockets. I had quite a few different speakers from AV123, Onix Ref1s, Ref100, Strata Mini, X-LS, X-SLS, and LS-6. None of them had any QC issues.

The biggest problems were with the MFW-15 subwoofers, and speakers toward the end that just never got delivered at all. I got rid of my MFWs years ago, but at one point I had 4 of them. Not sure if any of them still survive today in operable condition.

There are people who can still get replacement parts for Onix last I heard, but if you give the speakers a good evaluation listen you should be able to tell if anything is wrong.

D

dallasmavscowboys

Audiophyte
Thank you for the prompt answer Jeremy. I was hoping someone would reply to this thread pretty soon as I was waiting to hear from ya'll before pulling the trigger on the rs450s. I really want to get the rs450's bc I auditioned them and they do sound great as well as the stellar reviews, but knowing the story behind them makes it hard.

What brand of system are you currently running? Again, I am new to the game, but am learning quickly.

-Best

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
I've still got X-SLS encore towers and a pair of LS-6 built by AV123.

The X series and LS series were designed by GR Research, which is still active. Danny still designs and sells speaker kits and other components.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Danny still has parts for some of the speakers he designed for them, I think the Encores.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I also think Hugh of AngelCityAudo (try AudioCircle) has also,assisted with driver parts.

M

mtwhickory

Audiophyte
Saturday 9/26/15 purchased and picked up a pair of Emerald Physics CS2 speakers from an Audiogon member. The next day, before I could even connect them, I had a kitchen fire that destroyed the Behringer crossover custom made to run the speakers. Walter IMMEDIATELY helped me get their DSP2.4. Mark Shifter uploaded the custom software for the CS2 speakers the next day and personally shipped them. Today is Thursday 10/1/15 and I received the DSP2.4! They did all of this while preparing for the Rocky Mountain show. I will be enjoying my speakers tonight thanks to both of these guys.

I sold audio video for 7 years professionally and have been an avid audiophile since 1978. I have NEVER encountered more courteous, knowledgeable, or prompt customer service as I have with Walter Liederman and Mark Shifter. They are the real deal and run the best audio business I know of.

My thanks to both, and I wish them years of success in their endeavors.

Michael Warren

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Saturday 9/26/15 purchased and picked up a pair of Emerald Physics CS2 speakers from an Audiogon member. The next day, before I could even connect them, I had a kitchen fire that destroyed the Behringer crossover custom made to run the speakers. Walter IMMEDIATELY helped me get their DSP2.4. Mark Shifter uploaded the custom software for the CS2 speakers the next day and personally shipped them. Today is Thursday 10/1/15 and I received the DSP2.4! They did all of this while preparing for the Rocky Mountain show. I will be enjoying my speakers tonight thanks to both of these guys.

I sold audio video for 7 years professionally and have been an avid audiophile since 1978. I have NEVER encountered more courteous, knowledgeable, or prompt customer service as I have with Walter Liederman and Mark Shifter. They are the real deal and run the best audio business I know of.

My thanks to both, and I wish them years of success in their endeavors.

Michael Warren
What a wonderful story, Michael, but whatever possessed you to have the Behringer crossover in the kitchen? Mark has a well known reputation in the industry for delivering finely crafted products, promptness and meeting the customer's needs. I am sure I speak for all when saying there are many who would relish connecting with him again such as Mark Seaton, Danny Richie, a host of former customers, his business partner Santiago from Colombia, and of course his confidante Craig Chase. Please tell him Craig can be found at HomeTheaterShack where he has taken the selfless task of reviewing speakers and perhaps he can get a pair over to him.

Please post pics of your setup.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I bought a beta Explosive from Mark for $50.00 including shipping. I came out ahead on that one, I installed my UFW10 driver and a parts express amplifier and that thing pounds in my 2.1 set up.

Regarding Mark as he is today, I hope he stays on the up and up because he is talented. My 2 MFW-15's are still going, God only knows how. Both have V2 amps and at times make a quick squeal when you power them on, but some how they keep going and still sound as good as they ever have, knock on wood.

I just bought a new Marantz SR7009 so the budget is blown for now.

I too would like to see the pictures Michael. :)

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I bought a beta Explosive from Mark for $50.00 including shipping. I came out ahead on that one, I installed my UFW10 driver and a parts express amplifier and that thing pounds in my 2.1 set up.

Regarding Mark as he is today, I hope he stays on the up and up because he is talented. My 2 MFW-15's are still going, God only knows how. Both have V2 amps and at times make a quick squeal when you power them on, but some how they keep going and still sound as good as they ever have, knock on wood.

I just bought a new Marantz SR7009 so the budget is blown for now.

I too would like to see the pictures Michael. :)
Good old Mark. He did love to go down to Colombia and oversee matters.

Then, so long as his wife wasn't there, he'd head on out for some cultural exchange with the hookers.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Good old Mark. He did love to go down to Colombia and oversee matters.

Then, so long as his wife wasn't there, he'd head on out for some cultural exchange with the hookers.
Here is the "Explosive", not too shabby for 50 bucks! Chu Gai, I know for some of you this wouldn't be considered top end but it honestly does sound incredible, not too bad for a basement music system.

1.JPG
5.JPG

7.JPG

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Nope, not too shabby for $50 + whatever else you needed. At the end he was selling everything and anything at whatever price he could often bypassing AV451 and pocketing the monies directly.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Nope, not too shabby for $50 + whatever else you needed. At the end he was selling everything and anything at whatever price he could often bypassing AV451 and pocketing the monies directly.
I actually got this about a year before they went belly up, I wish I could remember the guys name but he was there up till the end getting the shaft.

The driver and amp was pulled from a UFW-10 enclosure that never sounded that good to me. So, the amp was 120 and the UFW-10 was I believe 75, so $245.00 for a very decent musical sub, leaves me with an enclosure I can toss onto ePay or Craigslist... maybe get 50 out of it.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Only reason he stayed was because he got paid. He was Shifty's b!tch. Doesn't mean he wasn't pleasant but I never liked the c$ç#*?£er.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis