Mark Levinson № 536 Monobloc Power Amplifier Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Mark Levinson announced the № 536 Monaural Power Amplifier at CES 2015. This is a completely new design from the ground up from their new engineering facility NOT a joint effort with ATI like previous designs.

The No. 536 is slated to deliver 400W into 8 Ohms, 800W into 4 Ohms, and stable into 2 Ohm loads, and promises to drive just about any speaker to its potential.

It's a fully differential design from input to output to take advantage of superior noise immunity and lower distortion compared to unbalanced designs. The amp is slated for release in the fall at an MSRP of $15,000.

Read the Mark Levinson No 536 Monoblock Amplifier Preview

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Finally, a Levinson design worthy of the Madrigal engineering legacy. To be honest, I wish Harman would drop the Mark Levinson brand name. I know they won't, it has too much market recognition, but Levinson the man hasn't had anything to do with the brand since the Carter Administration. It's time for a brand name with some integrity.

I used to pop the lid on my old ML 334s just to look at the components inside and the awesome industrial design. I won't shell out $30K for a pair of these monsters, but it looks like I'd take off the lid to peer inside on these too.

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Finally, a Levinson design worthy of the Madrigal engineering legacy. To be honest, I wish Harman would drop the Mark Levinson brand name. I know they won't, it has too much market recognition, but Levinson the man hasn't had anything to do with the brand since the Carter Administration. It's time for a brand name with some integrity.

I used to pop the lid on my old ML 334s just to look at the components inside and the awesome industrial design. I won't shell out $30K for a pair of these monsters, but it looks like I'd take off the lid to peer inside on these too.
Agreed! The internal design is a thing of beauty. We're looking forward to hopefully getting the new amps in for review when they are released in the fall.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Yea I too wonder how many audiophiles these days can still associate with the name. I'd rather see it positioned as Harman/Kardon to bring authority back to that name which was legendary a few decades ago.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Yea I too wonder how many audiophiles these days can still associate with the name. I'd rather see it positioned as Harman/Kardon to bring authority back to that name which was legendary a few decades ago.
Harman Kardon popped into my mind too.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Since Thiel has begun it's long walk of shame (maybe short walk, who knows), maybe Harman should buy them (wish they had been the first to the plate when it went up for sale). I know I'm just drudging up old news (posted on a thread today that's over a year old without realizing it about Thiel). Thiel's descent is inevitable without Jim, it's best chance of survival is in the hands of Harman which has historically bought successful audio companies and maintained them quite well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis