Marillion Band Interview on Audioholics

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Coming this Wednesday, June 8th, 2005 we will be conducting an interview with Steve Hogarth (Lead Singer) of one of my all time favorite rock bands. Feel free to post your questions to him or the band here and I will try to get them answered in the phone call.

Attachments

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Marillion is one of my favourite bands of all time! Ask him why, for the love of all that is Beautiful, we North Americans don't get the full, two-disc set of Marbles! Having to settle for the one-disc pick-and-choose sucks! I want it all!

I checked marillion.com to find out if any of their albums are available on hi-res, and couldn't find any information, so I assume that none of them are. Could you ask Steve if there are any plans to re-issue any of them in hi-res (either SACD or DVD-A is fine with me)? Marillion (especially the later albums), with their depth of sound, seem absolutely perfect for the hi-res format.

Also, why are all the Marillion DVDs (excepting the Marbles on the Road DVD) in stereo and not 5.1? Surely they could have been remixed to give a better sense of what it's like at a Marillion gig.

I can't wait to see them perform at the Mod Club in Toronto! But they're billed as the Marillion Live and Acoustic Trio. As much as I love the huge, lush sound of many of their songs, I'm curious about this acoustic tour. Is it just Steve h, Steve and Mark? If not, who'll be there? And can I purchase the double-CD of Marbles and the double-DVD of Marbles on the Road at the gig? And will they be coming back to Toronto as a full band any time soon?

I'm curious about how Steve used to feel, back when he joined the band, about singing songs from the Fish era. Was it daunting to him, or was it just another song to him, or did he see it as an opportunity to put his stamp on it, or what? And how does he feel now about singing those old Fish-era songs?

Was Barry inspired by Kenny from South Park?

Even if I were forced at gunpoint to pick a favourite Marillion album, I'd be lost. What are Steve's favourites, and for what reasons?

Has there ever been a more gorgeous guitar solo than in "Easter"? No, I didn't think so either.

Arrggghhhh!!!!! I can't think of any more questions. Give him my best, and tell him his band needs to visit North America more often.

cheers,
supervij

TICA

TICA

Audioholics Accounts Manager
Extraordinary

This is exciting news that Audioholics get a one-on-one interview with Marillion. Not only do myself and spouse like it, but our daugther as well. The music is so melodic, the voice hypnotozing that is not hard to be amused and awed by their melodies. Our daugther, only 4, can already recognize this band by merely hearing a wistle or taping of the rhythms of their songs! THis is an amazing band, that can even trigger the love and imagination of a child!
THanks guys and good luck in your tours!!

Also, why are all the Marillion DVDs (excepting the Marbles on the Road DVD) in stereo and not 5.1? Surely they could have been remixed to give a better sense of what it's like at a Marillion gig.
What's crazy is that, at least for "Holidays in Eden" the mixes sound excellent in Dolby PLII - almost like brand new discrete mixes.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We just completed our phone interview with Steve H. What a cool guy and a cool band!

Marillion is one of my favourite bands of all time! Ask him why, for the love of all that is Beautiful, we North Americans don't get the full, two-disc set of Marbles! Having to settle for the one-disc pick-and-choose sucks! I want it all!
According to Steve world wide distributor says retailers were reserved about selling double albums b/c of the associated price hike involved, since they don’t sell as well as single CD’s, however the double CD as well as their entire catalog is available direct from marillion.com.

I can't wait to see them perform at the Mod Club in Toronto
Lucky dog, I wish they would come to Florida!

More to come on the interview soon, stay tuned....

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
Marillion

Here's a few questions for the band:
How much control do you have over the quality of recordings that you release?
If you don't have the final say, are you generally pleased with the final release?
If not, then why not? and if so, why?
d.b.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Fantastic! Thanks for that, Audioholics! Nice interview, only whets my appetite for Thursday night at The Mod Club. Should be a great night/gig. Anyone else going to see them during this acoustic tour? (Sorry, Gene!)

cheers,
supervij

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
supervij;

You are now on my sh*t list :mad: I hope you at least write a mini review here about the show. Steve H tells us their Boston and NY shows have went very well so far.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
gene said:
and here is the official interview!

Marillion Interview
Thank you.

I'de like to quote this excerpt:

When mastering. Mastering engineers seem to want their tracks to sound as loud on the radio as everything else with the result that, whatever the dynamic range a track started with, it's often squeezed almost beyond recognition by the time the final master is produced. My own personal preference is for more dynamic range. I was surprised when Simon Hayworth who mastered Marbles - and who is one of the top UK mastering engineers - compressed the track "The Damage" when mastering as I really didn't think it needed it - I was outvoted. The joys of a democracy!
Several obscenities come to mind as a result of this disclosure of information. This is a freaking independant(or did I read this wrong?) band, for goodness sake! They don't have the retard executives forcing ruin upon the recordings. I was under the impression that usually, the absurd compression levels are a result of a not-too-bright record executive forcing the engineer to do his bidding. But here, it's the result of an ignorant mastering engineer(whom is considered 'top'?). Basicly, I am forced to believe that he does not even realize how radio works, if he thinks it needs to be over-compressed to sound 'loud'. Every bit of data I have read from authorities on radio transmission compression(including the CEO and engineer of the radio industry's most widely used radio transmission compression/processing systems), state that you can not make the signal louder on radio play by over-compressing the original audio source, as it's preprocessed before radio transmission at the radio station, to raise levels, limit and compress all audio to have the same loudness before transmission. In contradiction to the apparently ignorant people whom force this compression on the CDs, it is stated by the real authorities/engineers that the audio quality simply degrades by this method -- as the two compression/limiting systems(one used in mastering and one before radio transmission) end up fighting each other, thus causing odd artifacts. When push comes to shove, and I must pick to believe A.) a mastering engineer [or] B.) the guy who designs the radio station equipment: guess which one I tend to believe over the other? Anybody care to actually check how much additional compression/limiting any top 40 station uses on every bit of audio that is transmitted? And this stroke of ignorance(by someone who should know better) in order to accomplish something(make air play louder) that can not be accomplished? Gawd. This makes me sick. :mad: I think I'm going to vomit. :mad: I am more than tired of the feces-grade recordings that these so-called mastering engineers are spitting out of their special mastering studios today. What the hell, they may as well start using the typical piss-poor dynamic ranges as a marketing feature. Just slap a big sticker on the front of new CDs that state something such as: "This recording was specially mastered to have an amazing 4 bits of resolution!" :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

-Chris

Last edited:
supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
gene said:
supervij;

You are now on my sh*t list :mad: I hope you at least write a mini review here about the show. Steve H tells us their Boston and NY shows have went very well so far.
Gulp!

Yes sir.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
mini-review

A mini-review for Gene. Gene, I never meant to rub your nose in the fact that Marillion won’t be coming to your town. Sorry, man. As penance, I shall proceed to briefly describe tonight’s gig.

It was an acoustic gig, mostly. Thanks to a couple of fans who had been following the band around (both on the internet and from show to show), I learned that it was not, in fact, completely acoustic. Steve Rothery would be using an electric guitar at times, and Steve Hogarth had some drum beats fed into his iBook (or whatever it was). The sense of excitement was huge. I got to The Mod Club an hour before the doors opened and there were already a dozen people in line. And everyone was talking about Marillion. From people who’d been fans from the first album, to recent converts. Finally we were let in, and everybody rushed to the stage. I managed to get into the second row from the stage, one person left of the centre. A good spot. The opening act, Jason Hart, did a lovely job, just him and a keyboard. He related a story about how Steve H heard his set, then went up to him and said (and Jason did a perfect Steve H impersonation), “Jason, you just out-progged us!” He did a nice set, but everyone was champing at the bit for the main attraction.

The stage went dark, and then h walked to the keyboard, which was centre stage, right at the front. The crowd went nuts. We cheered and hollered so much, despite being mildly shocked at the very different hairstyle he wore tonight -- something that could almost be described as an 80s 'do, if it were big and huge and teased, and it wasn't. h sat at the keyboard, waiting for us to stop. We didn’t. His face grew a great grin then, and he hugged himself, and as corny as it sounds, it felt like we were the ones hugging him. He then launched into a solo rendition of “Hollow Man”. Somebody had earlier said that h’s voice was shot from a gig a few nights ago, but we heard no indication of it. His voice was so expressive, so warm and enveloping. I knew this was going to be a great night.

“Cover My Eyes” followed, again solo on keyboards (the keyboard was set to piano for the whole night), and while he sang, I could tell that, although somewhere in his, I dunno, thirties or forties, when h was on stage singing, he was a little boy again. You could just see it in his face. An absolute delight in what he was doing.

Pete Trewavas came up on stage, sitting on the left side, up front. The crowd again went nuts with hooping and hollering as he picked up his bass guitar. He then launched into that funky bass line from “A Bell In The Sea”, and h sang along. A great number. I’ve heard this live version before, but it was something to see it in person – Pete really working that bass. It seems like he’s concentrating very hard, but then he looks up and flashes a big smile, and the crowd just eats it up.

Steve Rothery walked onstage after ABITS, and again, we were screaming. When he finally calmed down, the trio launched into “Dry Land”, a song to which I’ve never been partial (fairly dull compared to their other songs), but it was transformed from an okay pop song into something that felt full and lush, despite being only electric guitar, bass and a little bit of piano. It really pulled me in; it felt like one of the great Marillion songs.

Up until this point, h had been slowly removing his zip-up sweater, and here he finally removed it completely to reveal a black T-shirt with the words “I am in a promising local band” written on it. Great laughs from us, and a demand from two women: “Show us your t*ts!” Declining good-naturedly, he introduced the next song, “. . . a really beautifully written song . . . even if I didn’t write it.” It was “Sugar Mice”. Aaahhh. We had been waiting for this. And you couldn’t stop us from singing along, because, c’mon, we’re not gonna let anyone sing “Sugar Mice” by themselves! There was a moment near the end when it looked like h wanted to do a bit of vocal improvisation, but he simply couldn’t – we were singing too loudly! At the end, someone yelled out, “That was frickin’ awesome!” and someone else called out, “Thank you!” That last sentiment was felt by everyone there.

I haven’t picked up the new album Marbles yet (I’m still waiting to find the double-disc set) so I didn’t recognize any of the new songs. But from what I’ve heard, I’m ordering that 2-disc set today! They played the first of the new songs, “Fantastic Place”. It was gorgeous, but having heard the song only this once, I can’t comment too much. The crowd was singing along again, which doesn’t always happen – people mildly resent new songs being played in favour of hearing the older songs. Not Marillion fans; they knew every word, every guitar lick. It was really nice to see/hear.

h then talked about the album Brave and how much he liked the album, personally. He then announced that the trio would play a song or two from it. Or three. And then he wasn’t quite sure, so he peered at his iBook to find out what songs were coming next, and then we started shouting out, “Four!” “Five!” “Eight!” “Play the whole thing!” Alas, all we got was “Runaway”, which h sang with huge intensity, especially toward the end. I thought he was going to break down and collapse at the end of it!

end part one

Last edited:
supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
part two

“21st Century” came next, although I didn’t recognize it at first. Slowed down a bit, made a bit more atmospheric, really lovely. H then told us about his childhood and how he played marbles with his best mates, and how they were really bad and he wound up with tons of marbles. He soon discovered how if you hit marbles into the air with a tennis racquet, "they fly for f*ck*ng miles!”. And it was a life-changing thing for him, "much the same as m*st*rb*t**n, you're never the same after you've discovered it". But as punishment for all the damaged windows, damaged cars and damaged cats in his neighbourhood, his father gave away all his marbles to his marbles arch-rival. With Steve Rothery playing bass (!), they then played another new one, “Don’t Hurt Yourself”.

h talked about wanting to write a love song for Ireland, and we knew “Easter” was next. Another one of those special songs that no Marillion fan can leave alone. We sang for our lives, along with h, but sadly, the guitar solo (absolutely the most beautiful guitar solo in the history of music) was reduced to a few bars from h on piano, and then a few bars from Steve R on guitar. And the song was ended really quickly. “What will you do?/ Make a stone of your heart?/ Will you set things right?/ When you tear them apart?” and that was it. Even though there were more lines, for some reason, it ended right there. We were terribly disappointed, but no one in the band said anything about it.

h then had us clapping to start off “The Answering Machine”, a fun, rollicking number. Afterward, he made some comment about how the band has never won any awards. “But if anyone ever gave us one, I’d take it and shove it right up their *ss.”

The next song was one that h said they didn’t play very often, because they didn’t think it was very good. So they worked on it for this acoustic tour, and liked the result. So did we. It was “Tumble Down The Years”. It didn’t seem terribly different from the album version, but it was energized a bit more with Steve R’s and Pete’s playing.

At this point, h announced that they were coming to the end of the show. We booed for a good thirty seconds, so h tried to cheer us up with an old joke. Q: “Why are pirates called pirates?” A: “Because they arrggghhhh.” He then told us another joke, a much longer one, about the English businessman moving to Scotland, and being invited to a party by a rather large, hairy Scottsman. “There’ll be plenty of drinking!” says the Scot, but the Brit is fine with that. “There’ll be some fighting too!” But the Brit is okay with that too. “And there’ll no doubt be lots and lots of sex!” The Brit is delighted to hear this, and asks when he should make his way to the party. The Scot replies, “Anytime, anytime. It’ll only be the two of us anyway.” H told the joke much better than this; I merely condensed it for brevity. And then they played “80 Days”, a song h said he wrote while staring at a gigantic line of Marillion fans, waiting for tickets in the cold and the rain. We sang our hearts out again, and you could tell from the trio’s faces that they loved hearing us singing with them.

They left the stage then, but our chanting and cheering drew them back. Well, we got Steve R back, who gave us an eerie little guitar solo over some pre-recorded atmospheric beat. It sounded like something from Brave, but I couldn’t place it. H then made his way back onto stage, sat at the keyboards, then Pete came back, and the guitar solo slowly became “Ocean Cloud”, another new song. I had to laugh when, at one point, h shook his water bottle to the beat, as if it were a shaker. “Ocean Cloud” then slowly metamorphosized into “Enlightened”, a mostly-overlooked song from Marillion.com. Not a bad song, just not one I ever think of when I’m in the mood for listening to Marillion.

They left the stage again, and again we drew them back. When they were all seated, they asked us what we wanted to hear. The most oft-requested title was “After Me”, and oh my gods, it was perfect! The playing, the singing, everything was exactly as we needed it to be. It’s just too good a song to change in any way. Pete was about to do backing vocals, but realized that it wasn’t necessary; we were providing all the extra vocals they could ever use. And just when we thought it couldn’t get any better than “After Me”, they then launched into “Made Again”. People gasped, as if we had forgotten another perfect song. They extended that instrumental ending a bit (I don’t think the band wanted to leave the stage anymore than we did!) and what a perfect capper for the evening. Despite being late into the evening, it felt like the sun was shining. You know the song, Gene; the song really does feel like waking from a sleep into “a bright, new morning”. Pure magic. They left the stage, saying they would be back soon. And anything else they might have said afterward was drowned out by the cheers. We just stood there, not wanting to leave and let go of this great feeling we were all sharing. We were on top of the world. Exhausted and spent, but still on top of the world. I left the club and then exchanged e-mail addresses with two new friends I had met there tonight. And on the bus and subway home, I couldn’t stop quietly singing “After Me” and “Made Again” to myself. I’ve been on a cloud this whole night. It was a perfect, magical evening. And Gene, I wish you could have been there.

cheers,
supervij

D

Dan Banquer

Full Audioholic
Marillion Interview

From what I have heard through the grapevine is that some assholes have approached Bob Ludwig (famous mastering engineer) and asked that their 4db peak to average recording be compressed to 3db peak to average.
I suspect that fidelity will die with my generation, because the young are being programmed with hyper compression.
d.b.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Dan Banquer said:
I suspect that fidelity will die with my generation, because the young are being programmed with hyper compression.
d.b.
I think you are a bit too generous in this estimation. With the current rate of ruin, I think hi fidelity recordings might be all but non-existant within the decade. Hey, I already provided one example to you of a well-respected audiophile label joining the crowd of utterly stupid fools.

-Chris

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
supervij;

You have redeemed yourself :) Thanks for the very detailed write up of the show. Sounds like it was a good time. My goal is to get Marillion in Florida the next time around by rallying support from Floridians that visit this site. We shall see.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis