Marantz's new AV8801: 11.2, balanced XLR in and Audessey XT32

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Sounds nice, but $3600 is pretty steep IMO. :eek:

I guess if you're in need of an updated prepro, but still...

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Here's the first review; I expect more professional reviews tomorrow and next week.

Not officially confirmed, but it looks like Marantz will begin releasing limited allotments of AV8801s next week.

Enjoy!

-Robert

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This is one subjective review with no measurements to show. The reviewer did mention the Marantz sounded better a few times but if you carefully read the review in its totality as well as between the lines, you may come to the same conclusion as me. That is, he really didn't think they sound that different, meaning, the Marantz sounded better to him when he listened hard for it in certain parts/scenes of the movie but his tone indicated to me he thought it was better probably because at $1,200 more expensive than the Denon it has to be better.

Anyway, reviews are always good to read but I will be getting one just for the look and it is the only natural upgrade path from the AV7005. If I go with the 4520 I have to not only sell the AV7005 but also 3 power amps with a total of 12 channels, not an easy path at all.:mad:

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Marantz AV-8801 and MM-8077 sure look purdy together :).

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
The pre-pro is labeled 11.2. Does that mean, the pre-pro does not drop Rear Surrounds to process Wides and Heights? Further, the sub outs are independent rather than dual-mono?

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Correct ^^ all 13 channels are independent, no trading rear surrounds. True 11.2.

-Robert

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis