Marantz vs. Cambridge Audio Integrated Amp

C

ccrntt

Audiophyte
Looking for an opinion in the sub-$600 price range. For listening to vinyl only, would you recommend a Marantz or Cambridge Audio Integrated Amp?

Currently debating between:

Marantz SR4023 Stereo Receiver w/ phono input - $500
Marantz PM5004 Integrated Amplifier w/ phono input - $450

vs.

Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 Integrated Amp w/ phono input - $350
Cambridge Audio Azur 350A integrated amplifier + phono preamp - $450+
(Bellari VP130 Tube Phono Preamp, Pro-ject Phono Box II, etc.)

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
M

Malvern

Audiophyte
Marantzvs CambridgeAudio

Hi - from a new member across 'the pond'.....

I've recently had a similar choice to consider after my 20 year old Musical Fidelity B1 gave up the ghost with an overheating problem. I've been in awe of that amplifier for many years and felt replacing it would be a daunting task, given it was omething of a 'classic' in its day.

I have to say, I gave up on vinyl some time ago, I had Technics sl1300 at the time, CD became my mainstay source since it was introduced. I've been a hi-fi salesman in my time and got to listen to many fine products over the years. Anyhow, coming back to your query, I have very recently acquired the Marantz PM6003 and have to say the sheer detail this amp resolves is simply awesome, so much so I am rediscovering my music collection, hearing things I have not heard for many a month! I found the Cambridge amps lacking in that 'something' that just did not grab me, they seem fairly open but lacking in something one might call 'authority', whereas the Marantz produces such solid soundstages you just cannot fail to be impressed.

Clearly, my views are that of an Englishman many would consider a MOR listener however I am a big fan of many of todays American country artists, especially Sugarland, Alan Jackson and Lady Antebellum to name just a few!

If you can stretch your budget to the 6003 I am certain you will be rewarded with an impeccable sound that will do justice to your viynl preferences!

Hope I've helped!!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have to say, I gave up on vinyl some time ago, I had Technics sl1300 at the time, CD became my mainstay source since it was introduced. I've been a hi-fi salesman in my time and got to listen to many fine products over the years. Anyhow, coming back to your query, I have very recently acquired the Marantz PM6003 and have to say the sheer detail this amp resolves is simply awesome, so much so I am rediscovering my music collection, hearing things I have not heard for many a month! I found the Cambridge amps lacking in that 'something' that just did not grab me, they seem fairly open but lacking in something one might call 'authority', whereas the Marantz produces such solid soundstages you just cannot fail to be impressed.
I'd have to agree with this to some extent. I've owned a few Marantz integrateds and have always been happy with them. I compared a Cambridge 640A at one point and also found it sort of "flat" sounding, granted it wasn't on my speakers either. Power was there for sure, but I wasn't excited by the setup, which was Cambridge source, 640A and Canton bookshelf speakers.

C

ccrntt

Audiophyte
Thank you for the input. Very appreciated. I think I will be going with the Marantz!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis