Marantz SR7010 or Denon AVRW6200

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
Quick question which one will you guys choose, I think is the same manufacture, I think the Denon has a bit more features and power, but the Marantz has some great reviews ! also they cost the same. After my research for me is between this 2 units.

Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The SR-7010 and AVR-X4200W has the same AKM4458 DAC so the Denon AVR-X6200W may have a higher end one but may be not.

There are a few minor differences such as:

- SR-7010 still has the almost useless 7.1 multichannel analog inputs.
- AVR-X6200W is made in Japan vs, SR-7010 made in China. Some people think that matters, not me.
- As you mentioned, AVR-X6200W maybe a little more powerful, but that's negligible.

I would take the one that is more pleasing to the eyes.

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
Yeah and I actually have a Yamaha, but I read a bench test on the 2050 that for me was disappointing. so I'm thinking the 3060 it will be the same. I do like the new YPAO tho

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah and I actually have a Yamaha, but I read a bench test on the 2050 that for me was disappointing. so I'm thinking the 3060 it will be the same. I do like the new YPAO tho
New YPAO? Care to elaborate? Are you referring to YPAO RSC 3D? Just curious is all.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
Well not new, it's got a better sub-eq. I think down to 15hz instead of 31.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I t has been a good while since I owned a Yammie. I do remember mine had YPAO w/RSC. That was the BIG thing at the time. Addressing reflected sound issues. I am sure it has advanced since then. Was not even aware of any sub EQ though. Will read up on it some more. Thanks for the info! Good luck w/your decision.

Cheers,

Phil

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I t has been a good while since I owned a Yammie. I do remember mine had YPAO w/RSC. That was the BIG thing at the time. Addressing reflected sound issues. I am sure it has advanced since then. Was not even aware of any sub EQ though. Will read up on it some more. Thanks for the info! Good luck w/your decision.

Cheers,

Phil
From what I read about the latest version it is encouraging, but for me I would wait until they address the 31 Hz limitation Gene mentioned in the article linked below. For those who won't use room EQ then I think the RX-A3060 is the best 2016 AVR for the price. It offers top specs and reportedly (mostly by M Codem base on past models insider stats) best reliability records.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/aventage-rx-a-60-preview

But what about bass frequency correction?

Historically YPAO has been ineffective for subwoofer correction as we've found when reviewing the CX-A5000, RX-Z7 and RX-A1010 models. We 're hoping YPAO algorithms have been improved since then and plan on testing this in a future formal review. What is exciting however is Yamaha's upgrade to the manual PEQ function for ALL new models.

"We are pleased to see that Yamaha put in a significant upgrade per my repeated suggestions. Last year when I met with their engineers at CEDIA to consult about the benefits of low frequency EQ correction, I knew they were serious about making this change. As a result, Yamaha's manual PEQ now works down to 15Hz. In the past it was limited to 31Hz which was ineffective for dealing with very low frequency modal issues that plague most home theater rooms. With this change, Yamaha is enabling advanced users with useful subwoofer EQ correction.

Subwoofer equalization (EQ) is supported in all AVENTAGE RX-A 60 Series AV receivers and the RX-A760 model on up benefit from subwoofer parametric EQ down to 15.6 Hz. Note, this is only for manual PEQ function. YPAO correction is still limited to 31Hz which is likely due to limitations of the accuracy of microphone being used."

For those who believe and will always use REQ, then IMOO D&M's are the ones to bit. Anthem's MRX720 will be a great alternative, probably even better REQ but a little less on features and specs. Again, that's just my 2 cents.:D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
From what I read about the latest version it is encouraging, but for me I would wait until they address the 31 Hz limitation Gene mentioned in the article linked below. For those who won't use room EQ then I think the RX-A3060 is the best 2016 AVR for the price. It offers top specs and reportedly (mostly by M Codem base on past models insider stats) best reliability records.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/aventage-rx-a-60-preview

But what about bass frequency correction?

Historically YPAO has been ineffective for subwoofer correction as we've found when reviewing the CX-A5000, RX-Z7 and RX-A1010 models. We 're hoping YPAO algorithms have been improved since then and plan on testing this in a future formal review. What is exciting however is Yamaha's upgrade to the manual PEQ function for ALL new models.

"We are pleased to see that Yamaha put in a significant upgrade per my repeated suggestions. Last year when I met with their engineers at CEDIA to consult about the benefits of low frequency EQ correction, I knew they were serious about making this change. As a result, Yamaha's manual PEQ now works down to 15Hz. In the past it was limited to 31Hz which was ineffective for dealing with very low frequency modal issues that plague most home theater rooms. With this change, Yamaha is enabling advanced users with useful subwoofer EQ correction.

Subwoofer equalization (EQ) is supported in all AVENTAGE RX-A 60 Series AV receivers and the RX-A760 model on up benefit from subwoofer parametric EQ down to 15.6 Hz. Note, this is only for manual PEQ function. YPAO correction is still limited to 31Hz which is likely due to limitations of the accuracy of microphone being used."

For those who believe and will always use REQ, then IMOO D&M's are the ones to bit. Anthem's MRX720 will be a great alternative, probably even better REQ but a little less on features and specs. Again, that's just my 2 cents.:D
Sounds like Yamaha is stepping up a bit now. Hopefully, they will be able to get the sub EQ implemented automatically, while still keeping the manual option. That would really be impressive to say the least! Thanks for the info Peng!

Cheers,

Phil

R

Rafy0126

Audioholic Intern
After going back and forth, I ordered a Marantz 7010 Saturday, it will be here Thursday, If I can figure how to post some pictures I will. I'm excited from my new receiver, is going to be a big change from my Yamaha 477.

Thanks

M

Methodical

Audioholic
The SR-7010 and AVR-X4200W has the same AKM4458 DAC so the Denon AVR-X6200W may have a higher end one but may be not.

There are a few minor differences such as:

- SR-7010 still has the almost useless 7.1 multichannel analog inputs...
Question. Why you say this? Curious as I am looking for an updated receiver with these so that I can play SACDs.

Thanks

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It is new- it didn't include the subwoofer in the general YPAO setup and as mentioned, it now goes all the way down to 15.6Hz (instead of 31.3Hz) and as an aside, anyone who thinks forums like this are useless, they should be told that according to the Yamaha technical trainer for the Custom Installation chain, the main reason they added the sub to YPAO and extended the low end is specifically because of Audioholics. I went to a Yamaha training session today and he didn't mention any other forums, just this one. The trainer said he doesn't think it will make a major difference, but I reminded him that the difference is a whole octave and that makes it significant. He was wrong about a couple of other details, but I don't remember what they were- nothing too significant.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Question. Why you say this? Curious as I am looking for an updated receiver with these so that I can play SACDs.

Thanks
It is almost useless because:

1) Most newer BDPs don't have multichannel outputs.
2) Most people (including me) who have BDPs with multichannel analog outputs prefer to use HDMI to play SACDs anyway, for the convenience and better sound processing features such as room correction.

Some purist may still prefer to use analog outputs no matter what so if you happen to be one of them then okay it is a necessary (but really almost useless) feature for you.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
II went to a Yamaha training session today and he didn't mention any other forums, just this one. The trainer said he doesn't think it will make a major difference, but I reminded him that the difference is a whole octave and that makes it significant. He was wrong about a couple of other details, but I don't remember what they were- nothing too significant.
He probably referred to YPAO, that is still limited to 31.3 Hz. The 15.6 Hz extension applies to "Manual adjustment" only. So for those who only use YPAO R.S.C. for auto calibration, there should be little or no difference.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
It is almost useless because:

1) Most newer BDPs don't have multichannel outputs.
2) Most people (including me) who have BDPs with multichannel analog outputs prefer to use HDMI to play SACDs anyway, for the convenience and better sound processing features such as room correction.

Some purist may still prefer to use analog outputs no matter what so if you happen to be one of them then okay it is a necessary (but really almost useless) feature for you.
No purist, just curious.

So, the newer receivers do room correction for SACD playback?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
No purist, just curious.

So, the newer receivers do room correction for SACD playback?
Absolutely, and it doesn't matter if you use the Denon link or HDMI, REQ will still be in effect and you have the option to turn if off completely, or just bypass the front L/R so the subs still get EQ'ed.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Absolutely, and it doesn't matter if you use the Denon link or HDMI, REQ will still be in effect and you have the option to turn if off completely, or just bypass the front L/R so the subs still get EQ'ed.
Cool. I am still using a 10+ year old receiver, so all this is new to me.

Btw, does the SACDs sound better going through HDMI? I am going back and forth between these 2 receivers as I was debating between the analog connections. However, it seems with the Marantz, I would have the option of using either (analog or HDMI), so best of both worlds, correct?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Btw, does the SACDs sound better going through HDMI? I am going back and forth between these 2 receivers as I was debating between the analog connections. However, it seems with the Marantz, I would have the option of using either (analog or HDMI), so best of both worlds, correct?
Not really but I am sure there are people who claim one sounds better than the other. To me, I could live with HDMI, Denon Link, or analog so I don't bother with analog any more for the obvious reasons. HDMI and Denon link has the advantage because you have the option of engaging processing. Denon link is useless unless you plan on using Denon SACD/DVDA players.

M

Methodical

Audioholic
Not really but I am sure there are people who claim one sounds better than the other. To me, I could live with HDMI, Denon Link, or analog so I don't bother with analog any more for the obvious reasons. HDMI and Denon link has the advantage because you have the option of engaging processing. Denon link is useless unless you plan on using Denon SACD/DVDA players.
Thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis