Marantz SR7000 - need hooking up advise

R

rustyjrbaby

Audiophyte
I recently purchased a used Marantz SR7000. I've hooked up the system with regular RCA cables for my Sony DVD player. I didn't know how to hookup the digital coaxial cable as it gave me problems. I would however like to try again as my system is only playing Analog on 5-Channel. Can someone guide me to make it sound better with the digital coaxial setup?? What do I need to hookup? For example; my DVD player is hooked-up to the back of my Marantz with RCA cables in/out and another RCA cables (just a yellow RCA cable) going to the back of my Toshiba TV (regular tube tv - heavy like hell) for picture. Also if you can guide me how to somehow work the remote to get the DVD to Coaxial setup would be awesome. I manually have to walk to the receiver and play with the button before sound comes out of the receiver when I hit the right button.

R

rustyjrbaby

Audiophyte
OSD is not working with my TV

Thank you both. I finally got it to do the PCM with the digital coaxial cable running from the Marantz SR7000 (DIG 1) to the Sony DVD digital coaxial outlet (Orange color). I was trying to use the OSD but couldn't figure out how to use it. I can't even see the menu on my tv and everything "should" be hooked-up correctly now. The picture and sound seems to off a little coz I can't seem to adjust the distants of all my speakers (don't know how). I need help in getting the OSD (On-Screen Display) up and running so I may figure out other things and fix other stuff. Can you advise or walk me through the process?? I guess one thing at a time :) I finally got to the point of operating the TV and DVD with the remote...that was a BIG step for me...then I learned to hook-up the digital coaxial cable...but in the wrong slot of course...it should be on the digital coaxial output and not in the DIG 1 slot...right???

P

phillyguy

Enthusiast
Sounds like need to hook up the video out on your receiver to the TV. Unless you TV has multiple video inputs, run your DVD cable to the video in for the DVD on the receiver, and let the receiver handle the video switching. Hope this helps.

R

rustyjrbaby

Audiophyte
Can't hear TV with my receiver

I have hooked up my Marantz SR7000 to my tv (source audio OUT-PUT). There's no sound out of my speakers for TV selection. What am I doing wrong. The RCA cables is connected to my Marantz SR7000 (TV - red/white)...then goes to my TV (Output red/white). I've tried (Input red/white)..still no sound from my surround speakers (5.1). I also still am not getting on-screen menu from my remote...how to??

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Just to be clear on your connections:
You have the red/white audio cables connected from the TV audio out to one of the analog inputs (such as Video 1) on the receiver? If so, that is the correct connection.

I still have a 32" Toshiba CRT and it has one set of audio outs and they are fixed output and always active; however I have seen some models that have a menu option to change the audio outs from fixed to variable and still others (like my sister's 43" Toshiba) have two sets of audio outputs - one marked 'fixed' and the other marked 'variable'.

If your connections are right and you get no sound then I would suspect that the tv audio out is 'variable' and the tv volume is turned way down. If you turn up the tv volume and then hear sound the audio out is variable. In case you aren't aware 'variable' means that the output varies with the volume control of the tv. If you have the manual for the TV, it will say something like 'fixed output: 350 mV; variable output: 0 - 350 mV', so you can see that if the output is variable and the tv volume is all the way down the signal level will be 0 mV (and zero is silence. :))

You want to use fixed output if possible so that the tv volume control has no affect. No Toshiba TV I've ever owned or seen has required you to turn the internal speakers off to make the audio outs active, but other TVs do so also check if there is a menu setting to turn off the internal speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis