Marantz SR6009 / SR7009 Dolby Atmos Network AV Receivers Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The Marantz SR7009 is the first receiver from the company with Dolby Atmos. Supporting up to 11 speakers (plus two independent subwoofers), the SR7009 can power up to nine speakers at 125 watts. The SR6009 is a 7.2 channel receiver that lacks Atmos but can do everything from stream from the Internet wirelessly, connect via Bluetooth, or support your Moving Magnet record player. With all the stylings of previous Marantz offerings, these two receivers have something for just about everyone.

Read our Marantz SR6009 and SR7009 Atmos Receiver Preview article

Is it time for you to upgrade? Let us know.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
What's bizarre is that the Denon AVR-X5200 is the same price as the Marantz SR7009, and yet the Denon has fewer inputs (no 7.1 analogue audio inputs, 2 component video inputs while the Marantz has 3)

Normally, the Denon and Marantz sister models have nearly identical back panels. But the X5200 and SR7009 have a fair number of differences. Not only that, but the Denon has a more compact chassis, and yet it weighs more than the Marantz. The Denon also claims slightly more powerful amps.

So it's very interesting to see the X5200 and SR7009 come in at the same price while being a bit more delineated from one another than previous Denon and Marantz sister models. I don't see much reason to ever favour the Denon in this case, though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I kind of feel sorry for all the people buying the Atmos AVR this year because after they buy the Atmos AVR, newer AVR will come out next year with DTS-UHD. :D

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
*looks at SR6003*

Has it really been that many years? I guess i'll upgrade when we hit SR6013

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
*looks at SR6003*

Has it really been that many years? I guess i'll upgrade when we hit SR6013
By then it'll have 8K Video, Audyssey XT64, Dolby ATMOS-3, and DTS-UHD-3. :D

And by then I'll still be using my damn old Denon AVP-A1HDCI with lowly 1080p, Audyssey XT, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA. :(

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I still maintain that this is one of the worst years ever to buy a cutting edge AV Receiver or Pre/Pro. The HDMI 2.0 slash HDCP 2.2 confusion alone is enough reason to wait a year!

But I really am keen to check out some Dolby Atmos Blu-ray discs as soon as they're available.

My personal biggest stumbling block was that I cannot mount any speakers in or on my ceiling. I have also acoustically treated my ceiling, so the Atmos-enabled Modules seemed like a no go. Back when all the Atmos messaging made it seem as though at least two ceiling speakers were mandatory, I figured I would just have to wait.

But now that the Onkyo and Denon manuals have gone up online, it's clearer that Front and Rear Height positions CAN be used. Dolby still recommends ceiling speakers (or ceiling reflections from Atmos-enabled speakers/Modules) more highly. But the option is in there to set things up using Front Height and Rear Height speakers that go on the Front and Rear walls rather than being stricly limited to "Top" ceiling speakers.

Combining that news along with the confirmation that actual Dolby Atmos soundtracks on Blu-rays can and will make use of the Front Wide speaker positions has made me want to hop on board. I could keep the exact 11 speaker placement I have already (with Front Heights and Front Wides) and still be able to make full use of all of them with actual Dolby Atmos soundtracks on Blu-ray.

As much as I enjoy my Front Wide speakers, though, I'm tempted to add a pair of Rear Height speakers. I suspect that Front Height speakers alone won't really provide the immersive overhead effects that I would like to achieve. Furthermore, Dolby has made it clear that their new "Dolby Surround" upmixing listening mode for existing 2-channel, 5.1 and 7.1 content will NOT make use of Front Wide speaker positions. But it can expand any existing soundtracks to make use of Front Height and Rear Height speakers, so that's another reason to install Rear Heights for me ;)

But getting back to the idea of this being a very bad year to buy a cutting edge Receiver:

First of all, Onkyo/Integra are the only brands touting HDCP 2.2 support, and yet the manual makes it clear that it's literally only for ONE HDMI input! So there is one HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI input and an HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI output, and for that, they sacrificed the ability to pass along the full 18 Gbps bandwidth of HDMI 2.0. Instead, just to get that one HDCP 2.2 input and output, they ended up limiting themselves to 10.2 Gbps all around.

Meanwhile, no other brands have HDCP 2.2 support at all. And it cannot be added with a firmware update. Now, since HDCP 2.2 really only comes into play with 4K UHD sources, I'm figuring it'll be easy enough to just connect the HDCP 2.2 video output of the playback device directly to your HDCP 2.2 compliant UHDTV while running a second HDMI audio-only output to one of these non-HDCP 2.2 compliant Receivers. But talk about confusing and messy!

And on the Atmos tip itself, just look at how restrictive Onkyo has made their speaker combination options! If someone opts to use Top Middle speakers, they can't use Rear Heights too? Why not? Denon's manual has that as one of the combination options. And if you use one pair of Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers/Modules up Front, you can't use physical ceiling speakers for the second pair with Onkyo. So Atmos-enabled Front speakers with physical Top Rear ceiling speakers? Nope. Not on Onkyo. But, again, Denon lets you do it.

So that nonsense is entirely up to the manufacturers. I mean, who knows? Maybe Onkyo will expand the available combination options with a firmware update! That seems like something that might be possible.

But the point is that this stuff is clearly not entirely settled and figured out just yet. And that equals another great reason to wait at least one more year in my book.

Will DTS-UHD actually hit the market by next year? That's really tough to say. Are any Hollywood studios actually making DTS MDA soundtracks yet? If DTS-UHD were to come out in AV Receivers next year, would it be strictly as an upmixing listening mode? Or maybe it could just take Dolby Atmos soundtracks and make use of speaker mapping to allow for far more flexible speaker positioning? Wouldn't that be crazy.

Anywho, it's a mess -- haha. But that Marantz SR7009 is kind of calling my name. I'll probably still wait to see what the AV8802 ends up offering, though. I'm still holding out hope for 13 simultaneous speaker outputs from that model. 'Cause, hey, Front Heights, Rear Heights AND Front Wides all active during Dolby Atmos playback sounds like a nice thing to me! :D And if Marantz waits long enough on introducing the AV8802, maybe they can have full 18 Gbps HDMI 2.0 WITH HDCP 2.2 support. After that, the only question mark would be DTS-UHD. But until someone...anyone out there starts making DTS MDA soundtracks, I just don't know if it's worth worrying about what DTS is up to.

- Rob H.

EDIT -- These are the manuals to which I was referring, by the way:
Onkyo TX-NR3030 Basic Manual: http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/TX-NR3030_BAS_En_29401675_140603_web.pdf
Denon AVR-X5200 full manual from Denon UK: http://assets.denoneu.com/DocumentMaster/MASTER/AVR-X5200WE2_ENG_CD-ROM_IM_v00.pdf

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Denon vs Marantz Model Clarifications

<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--> I asked D&M for some clarity on this and here is what they said:

The SR7009 would be the sister model to the AVR-X4100 and would gain:

• 2 extra channels
  • 7.1 EXT Inputs
  • Gold plated connections
  • HDAM and Current feedback topology
  • 11 Channel processing

The Denon X5200 is actually a loner model with no brothers or sisters…

it is built in our factory in Japan, features our custom monolithic amplifier design and is what they would call old school Denon build…see attached picture.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
My eyes are still on the X4100 for a lot less $$. I don't need the extra channels, and I've got a bottle of isopropyl to take the tarnish off non-gold connectors. The HDAM and Current Feedback tech is the only thing I'd be getting for my $600. Sure, I'd like to have the best, but I need that money for dual subs.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger this year; I'm just lagging behind with my old Onkyo. I'd also like to have HDCP 2.2 for a sense of future proofing, but by the time I actually have a use for it, it will be upgrade time again :)

<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--> I asked D&M for some clarity on this and here is what they said:

The SR7009 would be the sister model to the AVR-X4100 and would gain:

• 2 extra channels
  • 7.1 EXT Inputs
  • Gold plated connections
  • HDAM and Current feedback topology
  • 11 Channel processing

The Denon X5200 is actually a loner model with no brothers or sisters…

it is built in our factory in Japan, features our custom monolithic amplifier design and is what they would call old school Denon build…see attached picture.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
^^^ Now that's interesting!

Thanks, Gene!

Made in Japan and beefier amps. I've gotta say, that makes the identical pricing between the AVR-X5200 and the SR7009 even more curious! That either makes the X5200 an unusally good deal, or it makes the SR7009 kind of a bad one :p

That does answer my question about why someone might favour the X5200, though!

But what a weird situation to have the Marantz SR7009 be the one with more input options. I'd have sooner seen the X5200 with all of the SR7009's inputs and maybe a couple hundred dollars higher in price. At least then we could have said to ourselves, "yup, it's got all the features of the SR7009, plus it's made in Japan and has slightly beefier amps." Just seems a little bit weird to me to have these small trade offs in features in order to have them both come in at the exact same price point. :confused:

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
My eyes are still on the X4100 for a lot less $$. I don't need the extra channels, and I've got a bottle of isopropyl to take the tarnish off non-gold connectors. The HDAM and Current Feedback tech is the only thing I'd be getting for my $600. Sure, I'd like to have the best, but I need that money for dual subs.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger this year; I'm just lagging behind with my old Onkyo. I'd also like to have HDCP 2.2 for a sense of future proofing, but by the time I actually have a use for it, it will be upgrade time again :)
A maximum of only 9 speakers, Marshall?! What are you, some kind of masochist?

:p

As I mentioned in my longer post up there, I'm actually still hoping to be able to use 13 speakers at once! AVR-X7200? Marantz AV8802 Pre/Pro? Let's make it happen, yes?

:D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I was all excited to build my man cave before I started to learn about HDCP 2.2 and all the current problems with 4k. At least I was able to confirm that my 600ES is HDCP 2.2 complaint so I can keep that. Other than speakers, I am not upgrading anything else at this point. Even if the new DTS-HD or whatever the new tech comes out, in 2 years I would be surprised if there are morethan 10 movies that support it, what is the point :
\

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I like the color coded channel areas on the rear panel. I wish there would be a standard for color for each channel group in receivers. Be great to label wires with not just text but also color.

I agree with the other posts about waiting. Content first!

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
I like the color coded channel areas on the rear panel. I wish there would be a standard for color for each channel group in receivers. Be great to label wires with not just text but also color.

I agree with the other posts about waiting. Content first!
Hey Midnight, I believe a standardised colour coding scheme of the binding posts is mandatory for THX certified AVR's and power amps. My Onkyo TX-NR1007 also came with a set of matching colour coded adhesive tags for attaching to the speaker wires. The product sheet shows the colour scheme: http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/product_info/pdf/tx-nr1007_ex_leaflet.pdf. This colour scheme is common to all Onkyo/Integra (THX) AVR's and amps at least.

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
D&M Line Step Charts

What's bizarre is that the Denon AVR-X5200 is the same price as the Marantz SR7009, and yet the Denon has fewer inputs (no 7.1 analogue audio inputs, 2 component video inputs while the Marantz has 3)

Normally, the Denon and Marantz sister models have nearly identical back panels. But the X5200 and SR7009 have a fair number of differences. Not only that, but the Denon has a more compact chassis, and yet it weighs more than the Marantz. The Denon also claims slightly more powerful amps.

So it's very interesting to see the X5200 and SR7009 come in at the same price while being a bit more delineated from one another than previous Denon and Marantz sister models. I don't see much reason to ever favour the Denon in this case, though.
I found this a handy reference for comparison of the 2014-15 Marantz AVR's: http://www.profitlineav.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Marantz-2014-2015-AVR-Line-Step-Charts-with-Audyssey-Tiers.pdf

Here is the equivalent for the 2014-15 Denons: http://www.profitlineav.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Denon-2014-2015-AVR-Linestep-Charts-with-Audyssey-Tiers.pdf

N

nickboros

Audioholic

As I mentioned in my longer post up there, I'm actually still hoping to be able to use 13 speakers at once! AVR-X7200? Marantz AV8802 Pre/Pro? Let's make it happen, yes?

I'm in the very early planning stages of building a dedicated room in my basement. I am planning to wire it for exactly the 13 speaker layout you are talking about with the 4 ceiling mounted Atmos speakers placed in proper locations (whenever Dolby or someone decides more precisely where that should be). Since Dolby has mentioned that they can make it so that wide speakers can be encoded and not something that is processed from an existing mix like it is now (through Audysey and DTS), wouldn't the second generation receivers need a newer Atmos chip? Would the current Blu-Ray players even be able to support all 13 channels if we had such a new chip?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
I'd love a dedicated room to run DSX, Atmos, or whatever comes next, but at most, I could do front heights, and maybe wides. I have custom home plans for the future (5-10 years) and they definitely include a better room layout and $$ for a new AVR. For now, I'll be good with 7.2 at most.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I'm in the very early planning stages of building a dedicated room in my basement. I am planning to wire it for exactly the 13 speaker layout you are talking about with the 4 ceiling mounted Atmos speakers placed in proper locations (whenever Dolby or someone decides more precisely where that should be). Since Dolby has mentioned that they can make it so that wide speakers can be encoded and not something that is processed from an existing mix like it is now (through Audysey and DTS), wouldn't the second generation receivers need a newer Atmos chip? Would the current Blu-Ray players even be able to support all 13 channels if we had such a new chip?
The positioning for the overhead speakers has been made fairly clear now, thanks to the Denon AVR-X5200W and Onkyo TX-NR3030 manuals :)

Denon shows the positioning via ranges of elevation angles: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.947026021981494.1073741849.522979641052803&type=1

And if you check out page 6 of the Onkyo manual, they describe the positions of the ceiling speakers as being:

Top Front = mid-way between the spot on the ceiling directly above the listening position and the spot on the ceiling directly above the Front speakers (in other words, the first reflection point on the ceiling)

Top Middle = directly overhead

Top Rear = mid-way between the spot on the ceiling directly above the listening position and the spot on the ceiling directly above the Surround Back speakers (again, the first reflection point on the ceiling).

Onkyo TX-NR3030 manual: http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/TX-NR3030_BAS_En_29401675_140603_web.pdf

As for left-to-right spacing of the ceiling speakers, they are meant to be directly in line with your Front Main speakers. If you had your listening position directly in the middle of a perfect circle, your Front Main speakers would be 30 degrees to the left and right of straight ahead center, and your Surround Back speakers would be 30 degrees to the left and right of 180 degrees straight behind you. You could then draw a pair of straight, parallel lines going from your Front Main speakers to the Surround Back speakers, and the Height and overhead ceiling speakers would go directly along those parallel lines. In other words, your Front Main speakers, Height speakers, overhead speakers, and Surround Back speakers are all supposed to be in a line with one another on the Left and the Right.

As a side note, Dolby does recommend using the Top Front and Top Rear positions most highly. But if you think you might want to ever try some of the other "immersive audio" formats in the future, wiring for Front Height and Rear Height speakers might also be a good idea. For example, Auro 3D audio calls for four Height speakers, all at 30 degrees elevation. Yamaha's Presence speakers also call for Front and Rear Height speakers that are at least 6 feet off the ground and just slightly wider than the Front Main and Surround Back speakers. DTS Neo:x and Audyssey DSX both call for Front Height speakers that are 45 degrees to the left and right of straight ahead center and elevated 45 degrees, too.

So everybody's got slightly different angles when it comes to the Height speakers, but the point is that all of these other "immersive" audio formats call for Front Height speakers of some sort.

Both the Onkyo manual and the Denon manual ( http://assets.denoneu.com/DocumentMaster/MASTER/AVR-X5200WE2_ENG_CD-ROM_IM_v00.pdf ) make it very clear that Atmos can use Front Height speakers instead of Top Front speakers. So in this regard, using Front Height speakers is the more flexible setup.

Now to the fun part of what you were asking :)

There are no additional channels in an Atmos recording! This is object-based audio. It is a new beast, and it's certainly understandable that folks are having a bit of a tough time wrapping their heads around it.

The way that Atmos works is that sound mixers now have both traditional channels as well as sound objects at their disposal. Atmos includes 9 "bed layer" channels. Those are the traditional 7 channels around the audience - Front Right, Center, Front Left, Surround Left, Surround Back Left, Surround Back Right, and Surround Right - plus Left and Right Overhead channels. If the sound mixer wants a particular sound to be played by an entire array of speakers, or to come from a specific speaker up front, they can still use channels, just like we're all used to.

But then there are the sound objects. This is a totally new way of thinking about sound. Instead of channels that are mapped to specific speakers or arrays of speakers, sound objects are just a sound with a set of X, Y, Z coordinates attached to it. Sound objects are not linked to any particular speaker or speakers. They just exist as a sound with positional metadata attached to it.

The Dolby Atmos Renderer on the playback side is what decides which speakers will play back a given sound object. The Dolby Atmos Renderer is told by the user which speakers are in use. So let's say you've set up 11 speakers. You have to start with a traditional Front Left, Center, Front Right, Surround Right, Surround Left 5.1 setup. But after that, the remaining 6 speakers could - theoretically - be just about anywhere. Maybe you've got Front Wides, Front Heights, and Top Middle speakers. Maybe you've got Surround Back, Top Front, and Rear Height speakers. Maybe you've got Surround Back, Front Wide, and Top Middle speakers. All sorts of different combinations are possible, but the user will indicate which speakers are in use during the setup of his/her AV Receiver or Pre/Pro, and the Dolby Atmos Renderer will then "know" what speakers it has to work with.

From there, the Dolby Atmos Renderer simply tries to use that X, Y, Z coordinate data and the "knowledge" or which speakers exist in the system to try and place that given sound object as closely as possible to what is called for in the positional metadata. This is why the exact same Dolby Atmos soundtrack can be played back on a 5.1.2 system, a 7.1.4 system, a 9.1.2 system, or even a 24.1.10 system!

Trinnov is introducing a Pre/Pro that can have 30 speakers and 2 subwoofers - the Altitude 32: Introduction | Trinnov Audio

But the Altitude 32 will be using the exact same Dolby Atmos soundtracks as a more modest 5.1.2 system.

So this is the beauty of Atmos. We do not need new Blu-ray players. As long as your Blu-ray player can output Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus bitstream audio, it is already all set for Atmos soundtracks. The Atmos information is simply an "extension" to a regular 5.1 or 7.1 TrueHD or DD+ bitstream that any bitstream output Blu-ray player can pass along.

Once that bitstream arrives at your AV Receiver or Pre/Pro, it's up to the manufacturer of that Processor to decide the maximum number of speakers it can utilize, and the various combinations of speaker positions they are willing to support. If it's a low end Onkyo AV Receiver, it might only support standard 5.1 with Top Fronts or Dolby Atmos-enabled Front speakers. If it's the Denon AVR-X5200, it can support 11 speakers with a whole bunch of different combinations. And if it's the Trinnov Altitude 32, it can support 30 speakers. But the soundtrack coming out of your Blu-ray player never changed! There are no additional channels. There's just metadata piggybacking on a regular TrueHD or DD+ bitstream signal.

So when it comes to the Front Wide speaker positions, there are no Atmos sounds that are hard encoded into the Front Wide "channels". There are no channels. But there might be sounds that make a smooth pan from the Front to the Sides, or there could be a sound object with X, Y, Z coordinates that are closest to where a Front Wide speaker would be placed. Atmos playback systems adapt. Whatever speaker positions you have, Atmos will make use of them if it's appropriate. If you go full out, Atmos can have a speaker every 15 degrees in a continuous circle all around you, plus 10 speakers overhead - Right & Left Front Heights, Top Fronts, Top Middles, Top Rears, and Rear Heights. That would be your 24.1.10 super system.

With Atmos, we need to stop thinking about speaker channels. The expanded, immersive sounds are not channels. They're just sounds with X, Y, Z coordinates. So your playback system will do the best it can with the speakers it has available to it to render those sounds as closely to those X, Y, Z coordinates as it can. That's why you can use Front Height and Rear Height speakers instead of Top Front and Top Rear speakers. The experience won't be identical, but the Dolby Atmos renderer will simply do the best it can in both cases to make it seem as though sound objects are coming from the X, Y, Z coordinates that the sound mixer gave them.

In my case, I've taken quite a shine to DTS Neo:X. For that reason, I would like to keep my Front Wide and Front Height speaker positions. And thankfully, I CAN keep those speaker positions and still use them when I'm playing Dolby Atmos soundtracks. But if I also want to use Surround Back and Rear Height or Top Rear speakers, now I'm up to a total of 13 speakers. So far, other than the Trinnov Altitude 32, there aren't any AV Receivers or Pre/Pros that will play more than 11 speakers simultaneously. Furthermore, if I ever decide to use the Dolby Surround upmixer to expand existing 2-channel, 5.1, or 7.1 recordings, the Dolby Surround upmixer will NOT output any sound from the Front Wide speakers.

So I have a choice: I could physically connect all 13 speakers - the Denon and Marantz units allow for that. If I'm using the Dolby Surround upmixer, my choice is pretty clear - I'll make use of my standard 7.1 speakers plus Front Heights and either Top Rears or Rear Heights.

Meanwhile, if I decide to use DTS Neo:X to expand my 2-channel, 5.1, and 7.1 recordings, my choice is also clear - I will use the Front Wide and Front Height speakers in addition to my standard 7.1.

But when it comes time to play a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, I might have to decide - will I use the Front Height and Rear Heights? Or maybe I'll use the Front Wides and Front Heights. OR, I could use the Front Wides and Top Rears. Or I could turn off my Surround back speakers and use Front Wides, Front Heights and Rear Heights. Any combination of 11 speakers would be open to me.

But that's where the notion of an Pre/Pro that can play back 13 speakers simultaneously comes into play. If the Marantz AV8802 or Denon AVR-X7200 can use 13 speakers simultaneously, then I won't have to choose! For Dolby Surround upmixing or DTS Neo:X upmixing, I'm still using "only" 11 speakers - and it's decided for me which 11 speakers it will be. But for actual Dolby Atmos soundtracks, there's no technical reason on the soundtrack side why I couldn't use all 13 speakers at once. All that is needed is the manufacturer's decision to make that possible. Trinnov decided to make it possible to use 30 speakers all at once. And Atmos at home itself allows for as many as 34 speakers. And even that 34 speaker limit is qualified by Dolby as being "at this time". In full sized cinemas, up to 64 speakers can be used. And literally the exact same Atmos soundtracks can be taken from the cinemas and used in homes. So it's technically possible that one day, home theaters could use as many as 64 speakers when playing back Dolby Atmos soundtracks :D

G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic
^ Awesome post FirstReflection! Thanks.

I wasn't aware of the "Dolby Surround upmixer". Your mention of it prompted me to open the X5200 manual and explore a bit. It appears that +Dolby Surround can upmix any two channel or multichannel content (except Atmos) to the available connected speakers except for front wides (as you mention). So, early adopters don't have to wait for native Dolby Atmos content to blow the cobwebs out of their new top speakers.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
^ Awesome post FirstReflection! Thanks.

I wasn't aware of the "Dolby Surround upmixer". Your mention of it prompted me to open the X5200 manual and explore a bit. It appears that +Dolby Surround can upmix any two channel or multichannel content (except Atmos) to the available connected speakers except for front wides (as you mention). So, early adopters don't have to wait for native Dolby Atmos content to blow the cobwebs out of their new top speakers.
Most welcome! Glad you found it helpful :)

Yes, Dolby was well aware that lots of folks would want to make use of their new overhead speakers when they're playing back all of the existing 2-channel, 5.1, and 7.1 content that they already own! I'm sure some folks will liken it to the way Dolby Pro Logic IIx let us make use of our Surround Back speakers when playing 2-channel or 5.1 content, or how DTS Neo:X lets us use all 11 speakers no matter what content we're playing even though there are a grand total of only 3 Blu-rays actually encoded in Neo:X 11.1!

I'm also certain many folks will notice how in that Denon AVR-X5200 manual, there's no mention at all of Dolby Pro Logic (II, IIx, IIz) anymore! "Dolby Surround" has now taken the place of Dolby Pro Logic (in all its various forms). And that makes sense since Dolby Surround can "expand" any existing recording to make use of however many speakers you have now. Also, the Dolby Surround upmixer is always included as part of the Dolby Atmos decoder, according to Dolby. So manufacturers are getting that Dolby Surround upmixer no matter what.

What's funny about that is that Dolby is still willing to licence Dolby Pro Logic (in all its various forms). So it is technically possible to have both the Dolby Surround upmixer and Dolby Pro Logic (II, IIx, IIz) available in the same AV Receiver or Pre/Pro. So far, though, it doesn't look as though any manufacturers have taken Dolby up on that "offer" :p

Dolby Surround is not exactly the same as Dolby Pro Logic IIx when utilizing Surround Back speakers, nor is it exactly the same as Dolby Pro Logic IIz when using Front Height speakers. So that is why Dolby still makes it possible to license Dolby Pro Logic. If a manufacturer really, really believes that some of its customers just LOVE DPL IIx or IIz and they won't be satisfied with anything that sounds even a tad bit different, then they CAN include DPL. But for all intents and purposes, Dolby Surround can now replace DPL in all of its various forms, and it's always included if they're building in Dolby Atmos decoding, so it makes perfect sense that no manufacturers so far have opted to pay an extra licence for what amounts to duplicate functionality.

So say goodbye to Dolby Pro Logic, and say hello to Dolby Surround! Just don't confuse Dolby Surround upmixing with the old 4-channel "Dolby Surround"! haha. Why they couldn't come up with a slightly different name is beyond me. I guess they just didn't want to trademark something new? Who knows? :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis