I

i1972

Audiophyte
Hi All,
For some reason Transformer 3 in Blu Ray won't play on our Marantz System in which it is mean't. We put on a few other Blu Ray movies to and they all played (Terminator Salvation, etc) to test the sub woofer and surround sound. They all worked fine.
So, we then put Transformer 3 back on and it only played on the front speaker - no subwoofer or surround sound. We checked the Blu Ray and Marantz Sytem for compatabilty and on that front all is ok.
Does anyone have any idea's of why the picture quality is great, but the sound is that of a standard dvd movie (not Blu Ray quality).

Thanks,

Di

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

From the description, it could be that the part of the movie that you're watching doesn't have any noticeable surround effects or bass (although, that would be surprising for a Michael Bay movie :)). You may also need to do a firmware update on your blu-ray player, as that is a fairly new movie.

Some starter questions:
  • Which blu-ray player do you have?
  • Did you try any other blu-rays with a Dolby TrueHD audio track? Terminator Salvation has a DTS-HD MA audio track.
For troubleshooting, here are the things that I'd look at to start with (some of which you might have already done).

When playing Transformers 3, does the display on the Marantz say "Dolby TrueHD" and have the front, center, surround, and subwoofer speaker icons lit up? If not (and assuming that it does for your other movies), then the Marantz isn't receiving that signal - so it's related to the blu-ray player. If it does show that, then maybe it's just the part of the movie that you're watching doesn't have sound in those other channels, yet.

If the Marantz is showing all of the speaker icons, then check your blu-ray player. First, make sure that the Dolby TrueHD audio track is selected on the disc. If it is, and the Marantz isn't recognizing it, then I'd check to see if there's an available firmware update for the blu-ray player. If that audio track isn't selected, then select it and see if the Marantz now shows "Dolby TrueHD" and all of the speaker icons.

This is just to get the ball rolling. Please let us know if any of that works for you.

I

i1972

Audiophyte
Hi Adam,

It is all pretty new equipment not less than say 6 months old the DVD player says it has dolby true hd and so does the amp however when it plays sound it is only coming out of the front left and right speakers through the move (Transformers 3). The disply reads Dolby Digital while this is happening.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Did you check if the Dolby TrueHD track was selected on the disc? If not, check that. The Dolby Digital track might be the default.

Also, sometimes equipment has an available firmware update on the day you bring it home. I'm not saying that yours needs one, but being new doesn't preclude it. What is the model of your blu-ray player?

I

i1972

Audiophyte
Hi Adam,

It looks like we have solved it. We did need a new firware update. In laymans terms( as I am not an expert at this) the blu ray player was converting the signal from Dolby True HD to Dolby digital. The new firmware update gave us the ability to turn this off. Transformers 3 is now on and the neighbours are not happy...lol. Thanks for all your help!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis