Marantz SR5008 issue

L

live4u

Audiophyte
Fellow Audioholics,
I bought this refurb SR5008 from a reputed online site straight from them. I used Audessey to configure the settings for the 7.1. I have PSB C5, 2 T5s, 2 B5s, 2 B6s, S200. I could see SR5008 picking them up during Audessey configuration in different areas of the room. I tried 7 samples and everything went fine with all the gear recognized. But, when I played movies (hobbit and wolf of wall street), I heard only the center, towers working. I couldnt hear anything coming from the surrounds. Same case with subwoofer. Is there some setting that I am missing? Appreciate your great help in this regard.

Thanks

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
If the 5008 was able to ping every speaker and the sub, then complete without errors, you should be set. Are the sub and surround channels not getting any sound at all or are they just not loud enough?

The starting point should be some kind of demo material that sends test signals to every channel individually. Some BluRay discs have a test like this. I cannot remember a disc off hand, I believe Avatar BD has it. I believe any BD optimized for THX has the audio/video optimizing guides. So, look at the back cover to see if it is included. If your system passes sound to each speaker/sub correctly, it is just a matter of adjusting levels to your taste.

Regarding lack of bass, if the subwoofer is correctly set up, it should not betray its presence. If it seems that all bass is coming from L, C, R, the auto calibration setup did a good job. If you like more bass, try Audyssey Dynamic EQ on. This should work the subwoofer much harder.

Regarding lack of surround sound, it is possible that the mix did not have much content on them. (I find that hard to believe for The Hobbit though.) You can go into the speaker level settings and turn up the individual trims.

L

live4u

Audiophyte
Thanks agarwalro. I tried the same and made the adjustments manually (For levels (testtone) the audessey dynamic eq took front left as -1.5db, I changed that to +1.5db. Also, sub was -16db and changed it to +8db). I changed cossover to 80Hz. I made speaker type to small even though audessey chose Large. I made subwoofer mode to LFE+main and LPF for LFE to 80Hz. Also, made speakers/crossovers to 80Hz. I am waiting for my lord of rings bluray to come by. I will test it out. But, do you see any issue with my settings?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, there is a problem. The sub was to high when you did auto calibration. That's why the receiver had to lower there trim to -15dB. Where did you have the volume and crossover knobs when you ran auto calibration? You will need to lower the sub volume knob, keep the crossover at max and rerun Audyssey.

Also, don't lower the crossover from what the receiver selected. Leave LPF at 120Hz.

Also, keep Dynamic Volume off and LFC also off.

PS. Audyssey does not set crossover and speaker size. The receiver does that.

L

live4u

Audiophyte
Is there a reason why we cant do 80Hz crossover? I set the LPF to LFE as 80Hz and turned the crossover knob on my sub to 80Hz. Also the phase shift is at 180deg now.

When you say sub was too high during calibration, is -16db setting a good value? When the testtone was sent initially, it was very feeble. During config, I had the volume to be in the middle, cross over was at 120Hz

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
The volume you had the receiver set makes no difference. The test tones Audyssy uses bypass that completely. The crossover adjustment to 80 is fine but I would not mess with the level settings unless you have an SPL meter. Does you sub have a level control? If so set it at 50%. What was your source? You said you played the hobbit but was it a blu-ray and are you sure it was set to play the dolby digital or DTS track?

L

live4u

Audiophyte
The hobbit was bluray and I set the source audio option to auto. The levels showd testtone and for that I messed with the dBs by increasing the sub to +8dB from -16dB and left speaker to +1.5dB from -1.5dB. I got the lord of rings today. I will test out.

Whats un believing is, I am not a pro but have basic knowledge on the HT. My wife who doesnt know anything was saying, why is hobbit not coming in surround sound!! Thats when I figured there is really some problem with the setup :D

L

live4u

Audiophyte
Thanks crossedover. I went through the guide. I see this a little perplexing "Do NOT use 'Double Bass', 'LFE + Main' or 'Both' if your AVR has these options." The marantz manual says LFE+main is the best option. Dont understand why its not to be used

L

live4u

Audiophyte
Never mind the article gave a good indepth understanding. I am one of those customers :)

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
I'd never use lfe + mains unless mine reached 20hz. Let the subs do the lfe work and the mains mid and upper . How would Marantz know your speaker setup?
The people that wrote the guides are way more informed with what's going on in the real world. Imagine how many times a manual was written and proofed by the wrong people...cars, computers, electronics, etc

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis