Marantz Slim Line AV Receiver & 5.1 Speaker Compatibility

D

dwjackson

Enthusiast
Just looking for friendly advice on the following

Would like to purchase Marantz Slim Line AV Receiver
and Match Small Area 10' Wide 15' Ceiling For 5.1 Home Theater
Viewing Area.

Will only listen at very moderate levels.

I am only person that will use this setup (No danger of anyone else cranking up the volume)

I have never owned or needed high end equipment (Just want a pleasant environment for DVD/BD entertainment)

NOTE: I am building a high end HTPC and Large Media Server/NAS to pair with my AV Receiver Setup also may connect to a second HTPC in bedroom)

NR1603Slim Line 7.1 Channel 3D Pass Through, Networking Home Theater Receiver with AirPlay
Power Output (8 Ohm) 50W (20Hz - 20kHz, 0.08% THD, 2ch driven)
S/N Ratio 98dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 10Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3 dB)

NR1403Slim Line 5.1 Channel 3D Pass Through Home Theater Receiver
S/N Ratio 98dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 10Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3 dB)

Fluance AV Series 5.1 Surround Sound Home Theater Speaker System with DB150 Powered Subwoofer
Front Floorstanding Main Speakers

System Type: 3 Way - 3 Driver Floorstanding Main Speakers
Tweeter: 1 inch Titanium Soft Dome Ferrofluid Cooled For Longer Life
Midrange: 4 inch Poly-coated Driver with Butyl Rubber Surround
Woofer: 6.5 inch Poly-coated Driver with Butyl Rubber Surrounds
Power Handling: 20 - 120 Watts
Frequency Response: 38 - 20K Hz
Sensitivity: 88±2dB
Crossover Frequency: 1000/3500 Hz PCB Mounted Circuitry
Impedance: 8 Ohms
Enclosure: Bass Reflex Design
Dimensions: 33.0 X 8.3 X 9.8 inches (H x W x D)
Weight: 27.3 pounds/speaker
Center Channel Speaker

System Type: 2 Way - 3 Driver Center Channel
Woofer\Midrange: Dual 4.0 inch Poly-coated Drivers
Tweeter: 3/4 inch Titanium Soft Dome Ferrofluid Cooled For Longer Life
Power Handling: 10 - 100 Watts
Frequency Response: 70 - 20K Hz
Sensitivity: 86±2dB
Crossover Frequency: 4000 Hz PCB Mounted Circuitry
Enclosure: Acoustic Suspension Design
Dimensions: 6.0 X 16.2 X 6.6 inches (H x W x D)
Weight: 9.0 pounds
Rear Surround Satellite Speakers

System Type: 2 Way - 2 Driver Surround Speakers
Woofer\Midrange: 4.0 inch Poly-coated Driver
Tweeter: 3/4 inch Titanium Soft Dome Ferrofluid Cooled For Longer Life
Power Handling: 10 - 100 Watts
Frequency Response: 70 - 20K Hz
Sensitivity: 85±2dB
Crossover Frequency: 4000 Hz PCB Mounted Circuitry
Enclosure: Acoustic Suspension Design
Dimensions: 9.7 X 6.0 X 6.6 inches (H x W x D)
Weight: 5.5 pounds/speaker
Subwoofer

System Type: Front-firing Powered Subwoofer with Integrated Amplifier
Low-Frequency Driver: 10" Pure-cellulose Fiber Cone with Hi-roll Rubber Surrounds
Bass Amplifier Power (RMS): 150-watts Continuous Average Output
Inputs: Line-level (filtered) and Speaker-level
Low-Pass Crossover: Continuously Variable from 40Hz - 150Hz
Overall Frequency Response: <30Hz - Low-pass Crossover Setting +/- 3dB
Cabinet: Precision Crafted MDF Internally Braced
Enclosure Type: Front-firing Tuned Bass Reflex Vented via Flared Ports
Dimensions (H x W x D): Cabinet Size 18-1/2" x 12-5/16" x 16-1/2"
Weight 39.40 lbs.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Couple of questions:

• What's the last dimension on your room size? I see 10' wide, 15' celing, but no length. Also, is this a closed off room, or is it open to other areas like a kitchen/dining room or hallways?
  • What made you choose one of the NR series Marantz receivers? Is equipment space at a premium? They seem like good models, but I feel they are better suited where you don't have a lot of space, like a bedroom.
  • What sort of budget are you looking at in total. And would said budget be just for a receiver/speakers/sub, or other things as well, like a Blu-Ray player? I'm guessing your HTPC will handle most of that, but thought I still should ask if there's any additional pieces you might think you need.
I think you did alright on the receiver(s), though their might be some bargains in fuller sized models if that would work. Not as enthusiastic about the speaker setup though. 500-600 is a bit low for a 5.1 channel setup IMO, especially if you're paying about the same for a receiver.

D

dwjackson

Enthusiast
Thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate your advice.

11' 6" x 13' x 9' Living Area
Bedroom is same size

1 Bedroom Condominium
Only 632 sq.ft.
I may duplicate the Av-receiver and Speakers in the Bedroom

Which may be better suited to the NR1403Slim Line 5.1 Channel 3D Pass Through Home Theater Receiver
S/N Ratio 98dB
Freq. Response (Analog In) 10Hz - 100kHz (+/- 3 dB) -

Do not need a great deal of volume just looking for compatibility

While space is a consideration I intend to place all components on a AV Rack

Samsung 46" 1080p 120Hz LED-LCD HDTV UN46D6050
AV Receiver TBD
Speakers TBD
HTPC 1GB Ethernet to Media Server/NAS

Speakers / AV Receiver Budget Approximately $1500.00

Would this be a better solution?

Polk Audio TSi100
Bookshelf speakers
$219.99 Pair x 2 = $439.98

Polk Audio TSi CS10
Center channel speaker
$109.99 Each

Mirage OMNI S8
Powered subwoofer
$249.99

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Well, I too have size limitations in my own apartment (about 1050 sqft), so I'm well aware of trying to set up a viable system in limited space.

The room/area comes out to be about 1345 cubic feet, so the good news is, you shouldn't need much subwoofer :) The other item I should point out is it might be difficult to setup surround speakers, depending on how much you have between any furniture and the walls. My left surround is actually a good couple feet behind my listening position while the right surround is almost at 90 degrees. Also, since I have towers for surrounds, that speaker sticks out a bit in the walking area. So, long story short, if you have similar issues with placement and space, wall mounting or using just left/center/right speakers might be a better option, even though I love the surround sound. :cool:

I think most any receiver around $300-600 will do just fine, provided it has enough connections for you. I'm also a fan of the Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume so I can get better dialogue clarity and less dynamic range (neighbors wouldn't care for hearing the loud booms :D) for TV and movies, but I do have that turned off when listening to music. I'm not too up to speed on the receivers currently out on the market in that price range, so you might want to spend some time searching the forums, but I would look at brands like Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha. Also, if buying refurbished is ok, Accessories4Less has several models that might appeal to you.

Accessories4less: High End Audio at Low End Prices!

^^^A4L also has some speakers from KEF that might be worth looking into.

As for speakers, I think you can do better than Polk Audio. If you have a Fry's by you, you should keep an eye out for when they put Infinity Primus P363 speakers on sale for $99/each. Even above that price it's a great speaker and at that price, you may as well go to the store with a ski mask and a gun. :D I purchased a pair of the previous model (362's) for $149/ea from Fry - probably the best deal I've gotten on audio gear, outside of some subwoofer drivers. But I digress...

There is a couple of center channels that match the P363's. I would try and get the PC351:

Primus PC351 - Infinity

One thing about shopping for center channels is you want to measure the space you have to work with to ensure it won't be too wide, deep or tall for your TV. That was an issue I had before I bought a stand with a mounting system.

For subs, you should measure how much space you have on the floor. If you have any flexibility in being able to have different locations, it can help in getting the best sound. I think your first stop should probably be the HSU Research and consider something like the VTF-2 MK4:

VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer

Fairly narrow width and should outperform that Mirage easily. :eek:

Oh, and if you aren't familiar with them, you should go here for the cables/speaker wire/etc. you will need:
MONOPRICE!!!

D

dwjackson

Enthusiast
Thanks a million. I have been confused about AV Receiver Wattage and Speaker Wattage.

You provided some great information for me to digest!

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Glad to help. :)

I have been confused about AV Receiver Wattage and Speaker Wattage.
If you're only listening at moderate levels, it's much ado about nothing. You won't be using more than a few watts most of the time.

D

dwjackson

Enthusiast
This looks like great choices for me!
VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer is very impressive.

Final Question - Will Marantz SR5006 100W/Channel
Work these speakers with out harming speakers or AV Receiver?

Primus PC351
Center channel speaker
MSRP: $ 299.00
$ 199.00

Infinity Primus P363
Floor-standing speaker
Your price $199.99 Each x 2 = $399.98

VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer
Satin Black, (Summer Sale)
In-stock:Yes
Regularly:$549.00
MSRP:$675
$519.00
S/H:$63
$582.00

$1210.98 Speakers Total

If I bump the Marantz to this one 100W per channel will this be a better
match.

Marantz SR5006 AV Receiver with Networking and AirPlay $549.99 w/Free Shipping From A4L

Dolby TrueHD/Digital Plus & EX/Pro Logic IIx, IIz, and II/Virtual Speaker/Headphone; dts ES/(96/24)/HD Master & High Resolution/Discrete & Matrix 6.1/Neo:6/Express
100W output power (20Hz to 20kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 channels driven) x 7 channels
6 HDMI inputs/1 output, 2 component video inputs/1 output, 4 composite video inputs (1 front)/1 output
6 analog L/R audio inputs (1 front)/1 output, 2 digital optical audio inputs, 2 coaxial audio inputs, Front headphone output
7.1-channel audio input, 2.2 channel pre-output, Zone 2 pre-output
Front USB port, M-XPort, RS-232C port, Remote in/out, Flasher input, FM antenna input, AM antenna port, LAN port
M-XPort allows Bluetooth playback (requires optional adapter)
Backlit, pre-programmed learning remote included

Grand Total 1760.97

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Receivers and speakers don't really "match" per se. Unless you have speakers that present a difficult load on the receiver, you'll be OK (which is the case with the Infinities). The Infinity speakers will work just fine with the Marantz.

Since you aren't going to listen that loudly, the wattage won't be an issue - should have plenty unless you really crank it up. :eek:

If you're patient, you can sometimes find even better deals on the Infinities.

I should also mention that speakers and whether they sound good or not vary from person to person, sometimes by a lot. The Infinities do come highly rated by a lot of people who hear them (and measure well), especially in terms of quality for the price. But, you may or may not like them, so if you do purchase them, you may want to make sure you get them from somewhere with a good return policy, just in case you don't. Or even better, see if you can audition them somewhere.

D

dwjackson

Enthusiast
I am not going to hold you liable for anything:)

I just really appreciate your advice this have been a tremendous help.

I contacted Fluance and they were somewhat vague in response.

I somehow forgot the surround speakers so I trust these bookshelves will fit the bill.

Infinity Primus P163 6-1/2 inch 2-Way Passive Bookshelf Speaker with MMD Drivers, Black
$85.00 ea x 2 = $170

You have stellar system specs on your setup. I am not a purist just enjoy movies. The rest of my setup does not include HD cable. Maybe Netflix + Hulu Plus. (about $16 per month) I literally have 1000's of DVDs that I have purchased. I have been a movie buff since I was born.

This system will be 95% for video probably less than 5% for music.

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
I am not going to hold you liable for anything:)

I just really appreciate your advice this have been a tremendous help.

I contacted Fluance and they were somewhat vague in response.

I somehow forgot the surround speakers so I trust these bookshelves will fit the bill.

Infinity Primus P163 6-1/2 inch 2-Way Passive Bookshelf Speaker with MMD Drivers, Black
$85.00 ea x 2 = $170

You have stellar system specs on your setup. I am not a purist just enjoy movies. The rest of my setup does not include HD cable. Maybe Netflix + Hulu Plus. (about $16 per month) I literally have 1000's of DVDs that I have purchased. I have been a movie buff since I was born.

This system will be 95% for video probably less than 5% for music.
Thanks for the kind words. Love my setup - makes me wonder how I managed with just TV speakers for so long. :eek:

The P163's would be fine for surrounds. Heck, you could get the P153's if you wanted to save some wall space (and a little $) and be good soundwise.

D

dwjackson

Enthusiast
My speakers are to be delivered on Tuesday June 17th!

Primus PC351
Center channel speaker (1)

Infinity Primus P163BK
Two-way 6 1/2-Inch Bookshelf/Satellite (2)

Infinity Primus P363
Three-way dual 6-1/2-Inch Floorstanding Speaker (2)

VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer (1)

Marantz NR1603 Slim Line AV Receiver (1)

Oppo BDP-93 (1)

The speaker wire runs will be short less than 10'
Should I go AWG 14 or AWG 16 on these?

Can you recommend a good cable for the subwoofer?

Is Monoprice still the place to purchase wires & cables?

Thanks again for all your help!

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
My speakers are to be delivered on Tuesday June 17th!

Primus PC351
Center channel speaker (1)

Infinity Primus P163BK
Two-way 6 1/2-Inch Bookshelf/Satellite (2)

Infinity Primus P363
Three-way dual 6-1/2-Inch Floorstanding Speaker (2)

VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer (1)

Marantz NR1603 Slim Line AV Receiver (1)

Oppo BDP-93 (1)

The speaker wire runs will be short less than 10'
Should I go AWG 14 or AWG 16 on these?

Can you recommend a good cable for the subwoofer?

Is Monoprice still the place to purchase wires & cables?

Thanks again for all your help!
Either 14 or 16 gauge will work fine. I have 14 gauge on my surrounds and 16 gauge for my L/C/R (also around 10 feet away), but that's mostly because I had enough in my 14 gauge spool from my office setup left to work cover only the surrounds.

Something like this will work for the subwoofer (you might need a longer or shorter cable, depending on where you put the sub):
For only $3.63 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 10ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer, and Composite Video) | High Quality RG6 Digital Audio 24K Gold-Plated Cables w/ Fancy Connector

Monoprice is still where a lot of people get their cables. Blue Jeans Cable (a forum sponser - look for their banner near the top of the page) is also a supplier that comes highly recommended.

D

dwjackson

Enthusiast
Once again thanks for your help.
I may never leave my living area again after this is setup:cool:

D

dwjackson

Enthusiast
Everything is now setup thanks for your help.
p.s. the sub woofer is HUGE but very high quality.
You lead me down the path to quality audio and I appreciate your help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis