Marantz PM6005 Integrated Amplifier Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
I love the simplicity of integrated amps. In all of the complexity of receivers, the integrated amp is a reminder of what this hobby is all about—music. Marantz just put out its latest amp, the PM6005, which looks almost identical to the PM6004. In fact, the only real difference is that the new PM6005 adds digital audio decoding. There are now two digital inputs—one optical and one coaxial. All of the digital to analogue conversion is handled by a reference-quality Cirrus Logic CS4398. That's a 24 bit/192 kHz high current D/A converter.

Discuss "Marantz PM6005 Integrated Amplifier Review" here. Read the article.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Great review and it's nice to see more digital inputs showing up on 2 channel equipment. However the price listed is not correct. MSRP is 699.

Marantz US | PM6005

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
What is the point of these reviews without any hard data, like power measurements? Otherwise we're just reading the same-old same-old hyperbole that we read about in just about any magazine.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Looks like a very nice unit but it's too bad that Marantz did not include a USB input as well. You can buy a usb to spdif convertor but that adds another layer of complexity to the chain which may work very well or it may not. The NAD 356DAC amplifier for example has usb and digital inputs which I think is a better design for a 2 channel amplifier if you are interested in computer playback.

F

FlyhiG

Audiophyte
Step up

Nicely done Marantz. Enjoyed reading the review.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
What is the point of these reviews without any hard data, like power measurements? Otherwise we're just reading the same-old same-old hyperbole that we read about in just about any magazine.
We can't measure everything we review and it's our hope people find the subjective portions of our reviews based on years of experience with many products useful.

Also, here is a recent review I did with a full battery of measurements for Marantz:"
Marantz PM-11S3 Integrated Amplifier Review | Audioholics

M

Mkegreg

Enthusiast
I did some extensive listening to the PM8004 and loved it. I have an old 1970s 2215B (15 watts, and it cooks nicely) that still serves me very well. I really love the Marantz sound and wish I could afford their reference line....the only reason I didn't get the 8004 is because I'm thinking more power and hence going with some Emotiva mono blocks. I'm really looking at buying my last system or, at least I'd like to be satisfied for a good long time. Maybe I'll consider a used PM8004 as a preamp.

Last edited:
C

caioferrari

Audioholic Intern
We can't measure everything we review and it's our hope people find the subjective portions of our reviews based on years of experience with many products useful.

Also, here is a recent review I did with a full battery of measurements for Marantz:"
Marantz PM-11S3 Integrated Amplifier Review | Audioholics

You're right. Might be very hard to make a full battery of measurements for every amp, but I think that the most important products to do that are the entry level lines which is the critical ones about cost cutting.

I really want to know more about the PM6005 real power output. By the way, I think the 45W is to little power for the price.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Shouldn't be hard to do electrical measurements..
Using an AP Cascade 2 system will run the measurements in about 20 minutes, entire test routine is automated from power output to line levels SNR in/out..

Just my $0.05... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis