Marantz PM6004 Integrated Amplifier Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If the Marantaz PM6004 sounds like an Integrated Amplifier built for the high end crowd; it does to us as well. Until you get a look at the price. At $600 MSRP, the PM6004 is well within the reach of the masses. This is high end quality at big box prices. If you've always dreamed of a two channel listening setup, you may have just had your prayers answered. We're really looking forward to getting the PM6004 on our test bench to see what it can do.

Discuss "Marantz PM6004 Integrated Amplifier Preview" here. Read the article.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
Let me start with a disclaimer. I know something about specs but I have no idea what goes inside an amplifier which makes it worth a certain price point. I also understand that watts aren't everything. That said, what makes this unit better than say the Onkyo a5vl which runs $349 (half the price), has two good quality digital inputs, and is stable down to 3 ohms, Onkyo A-5VL - Integrated Digital Amplifier | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products Or, for that matter, the Cambridge Azur 550a or the NAD 316bee, both of which are significantly less expensive. And if you want some oomph, the Onkyo A9555 runs $500, http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-Integrated-Digital-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B000J0ORMS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319723572&sr=8-1. I could really be dead wrong because like I said, I don't really know what goes on the inside of an amplifier. But based on the specs alone (and maybe they don't tell the whole story or maybe I just don't know how to read them right), I think this 2 channel Marantz amp is seriously overpriced. If I'm wrong, I'd love for someone to explain to me why cuz I'm planning on getting a 2 channel rig.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
But based on the specs alone (and maybe they don't tell the whole story or maybe I just don't know how to read them right), I think this 2 channel Marantz amp is seriously overpriced.
I have to agree with you. This is a market that just doesn't make sense to me outside of a certain snob factor. Too little power and too few features for too much money. If I were going to spend that much money for a two-channel rig I'd be tempted to spend a little bit more for an Outlaw RR2150. But then I've never been able to figure out why anyone would spend $600 on a two-channel receiver or integrated amp when they can buy a more capable AVR for less and use it as a two-channel receiver.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Having recently gone down this road this unit not having a sub preout was a deal breaker fro me and the front panel looks to busy. I also looked into NAD & Moon series from SimAudio but after a brief audtion I opted for the as700 from Yamaha because of their(Yamaha's) depenability and reliability and doing so I saved me some coin :).

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
I have to agree with you. This is a market that just doesn't make sense to me outside of a certain snob factor. Too little power and too few features for too much money. If I were going to spend that much money for a two-channel rig I'd be tempted to spend a little bit more for an Outlaw RR2150. But then I've never been able to figure out why anyone would spend $600 on a two-channel receiver or integrated amp when they can buy a more capable AVR for less and use it as a two-channel receiver.
The outlaw rr2150 is a very good looking unit for the price. I'm also waiting for this new Onkyo amp to be released and to find out what the street price will be : Onkyo A-9070 - Integrated Stereo Amplifier | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products It looks like it could be a really fine amp.

@Sholling: I'm curious, why use an AVR for a 2 channel set up? I think I know some of the reasons: bass management for one and the prices on AV receivers are very competitive. But the 2 channel rigs tend to have a more competent amp unless you are willing to buy a pretty expensive AV receiver. And don't AV receivers often need a TV monitor for the set up? Maybe I'm wrong on this since my experience with AV receivers is fairly limited. And with the bass management doesn't that tend to be in the digital domain with AV receivers? I've wondered whether that might present some issues in terms of SQ if your sources are analog.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Even the 8004 is only fine for a small room but if you are after power you are not going to be happy with 80W into 8 ohms 100W into 4 ohms. The 6004 will give even less but I could not find the detail specs of it.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
The outlaw rr2150 is a very good looking unit for the price.
There was something missing on the Outlaw (digital inputs?) but I can't remember for sure and I'm too lazy to look it up right now. :p

I'm curious, why use an AVR for a 2 channel set up? I think I know some of the reasons: bass management for one and the prices on AV receivers are very competitive.
Exactly right. At $500-600 an AVR can bring bass management, room correction, and better bang for the buck to the party. The reason that AVRs are cheaper is economies of scale. My guess is that Onkyo sells at least 100 AVRs for every stereo receiver.

But the 2 channel rigs tend to have a more competent amp unless you are willing to buy a pretty expensive AV receiver.
A factory re-certified Onkyo TX-NR708 can be had for less than $400 and it packs a pretty robust 4ohm friendly amp. And running only two channel the power supply is going to be loafing. If memory serves it also has a phono input.

And don't AV receivers often need a TV monitor for the set up?
I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR606 in my home-office with no video connected. All of the setup options including Audyssey setup, bass management, sources, etc were done using the front panel display.

I've wondered whether that might present some issues in terms of SQ if your sources are analog.
It's possible I guess but I doubt that it would be noticeable with a modern receiver. That's just my opinion.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
I don't look at AVR's when putting together a 2 channel system.

Why waste a portion of your money on the extra amps, hdmi garbage, and video processing stuff you'll never use?

my current 2.0 system:
A source or two, a DAC, a pair of monoamps, and the speakers.

Keep it simple, keep extra electonics out of the mix, and focus your money were needed.

(in case you're wondering - the particular DAC I'm using has sufficient power to feed its signal right to the amps, so it effectively acts as a preamp as well.)

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis