Marantz planning to replace PM10?

Itisawesome

Itisawesome

Audiophyte
In Australia lately I am noticing heavy discounting of the PM10. Haven’t seen it before in recent years. Anyone know if marantz is planning to replace it with a new model because maybe dealers are clearing stock to make way for new model?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
In Australia lately I am noticing heavy discounting of the PM10. Haven’t seen it before in recent years. Anyone know if marantz is planning to replace it with a new model because maybe dealers are clearing stock to make way for new model?
I would say that more likely than not it is due to be discontinued. I would bet they have a pile unsold. A unit like that is virtually useless in this day and age. It has zero digital connectivity. For the price it is, it would be hard to find anything worse value for money, even at a steep discount.

Itisawesome

Itisawesome

Audiophyte
I would say that more likely than not it is due to be discontinued. I would bet they have a pile unsold. A unit like that is virtually useless in this day and age. It has zero digital connectivity. For the price it is, it would be hard to find anything worse value for money, even at a steep discount.
What does a modern system config look like to you with some examples considering having a power amp in the mix? Because a power amp nowadays is all analog right?

I have a pair of Magnepan 1.7i speakers and had an old trusted Marantz SR8300 and the sound was very musical for me with wonderful sounding acoustic guitar, cymbals, kick drums and bass guitar albeit with not enough power to drive them well so was noticing distortion as I pushed the amp harder.

I then replaced the SR8300 with a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge because I wanted streaming from Tidal to get the digital connectivity perhaps you are referring to. And I thought I would be happy with a Benchmark AHB2 power amp to get some more power plus very clean power.

So now I definitely have cleaner power and more of it so can push my system to loud levels with less distortion so my ears don't ring afterwards because not hearing distortion as I was with the Marantz SR8300. But what I have lost in the change is the wonderful musical sounding acoustic guitar, cymbals, kick drums and bass guitar.

So now I think I need to stop using both the preamp inside the Brooklyn Bridge and power amp of the Benchmark AHB2 and consider going back to Marantz but a 30N won't be much of an improvement in terms of power delivery so was thinking of one of the discounted PM10s.

Thoughts on this dilemma?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The PM10 isn't a power amp, it's an integrated amp. The digital connectivity could be part of the unit rather than needing to add extra boxes, especially ultra expensive ones like the Mytek, which didn't measure particularly well for the money. The Benchmark is reasonably powerful, but not particularly....the PM10 does have a more powerful amp section than the Benchmark, the Benchmark slightly more powerful than the Marantz 8300, particularly for lower impedance loads. I wouldn't assume you can replicate your experience just by brand name alone, either (let alone the validity of your sonic memory).

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
What does a modern system config look like to you with some examples considering having a power amp in the mix? Because a power amp nowadays is all analog right?

I have a pair of Magnepan 1.7i speakers and had an old trusted Marantz SR8300 and the sound was very musical for me with wonderful sounding acoustic guitar, cymbals, kick drums and bass guitar albeit with not enough power to drive them well so was noticing distortion as I pushed the amp harder.

I then replaced the SR8300 with a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge because I wanted streaming from Tidal to get the digital connectivity perhaps you are referring to. And I thought I would be happy with a Benchmark AHB2 power amp to get some more power plus very clean power.

So now I definitely have cleaner power and more of it so can push my system to loud levels with less distortion so my ears don't ring afterwards because not hearing distortion as I was with the Marantz SR8300. But what I have lost in the change is the wonderful musical sounding acoustic guitar, cymbals, kick drums and bass guitar.

So now I think I need to stop using both the preamp inside the Brooklyn Bridge and power amp of the Benchmark AHB2 and consider going back to Marantz but a 30N won't be much of an improvement in terms of power delivery so was thinking of one of the discounted PM10s.

Thoughts on this dilemma?
I would get an up to date AVP. That way you can get video with your audio, and have up to date HDMI connectivity. Your Benchmark power amp is an excellent unit.

Do you use a sub? If not, you should. I am very familiar with Magnepan, they are built in the town of White Bear Lake a little way straight north of here. Although they quote a low end of 40 Hz, they don't quote how many db down they are. Well I can tell you they are way down and don't have a lick of bass. Also the bass frequencies really stress them. I have always rated those speakers as borderline acceptable, but not really speakers I could live with. The best I can say about them is that they are a lot worse. They are a fairly easy drive, presenting an almost resistive load of 4 ohms.

A sub or better two will improve them greatly. I would cross at either 80 or 100 Hz. They will then be much less tiring to listen to.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis