Marantz NA8005 Network Audio Player & DAC Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Marantz's NA8005 network audio player retails for $1,199 and offers multiple streaming options including Apple Airplay, DLNA 1.5 support, and Spotify connect. In addition, the NA8005 can function as an outboard DAC and includes an asynchronous USB port for playing high resolution music (up to 192kHz/24 bit as well as DSD in both 2.8 and 5.6MHz flavors). If you're sick and tired of managing a large physical media collection, Marantz's latest source device might just be the solution you're looking for.

Read about the Marantz NA8005 here. Is anybody considering dumping their CDs for a streaming solution like this?

J

jon2020

Audiophyte
I just brought a unit home 3 weeks ago. At US$1199 retail, it was worth a calculated risk since the first network player, the NA11S1 was well received by Stereophile. The NA8005 piqued my interest for 2 reasons - one, it could play native dsd and hi res pcm files from a USB flash drive, and two, it has a coaxial digital output.

Once unpacked, set-up was a breeze for my primary objective of playing hi res files from a USB flash drive. So, no more computer and usb cables. It was simply connecting the NA8005 to my Esoteric K-01 player's coaxial input.

Fresh out of the box, the sound emanating from the usb flash drive plugged into the front panel port, was in a word, glorious. If I was previously happy with hi-res via the Esoteric's own software for hi res audio called the HRA player, I must say I am completely floored by what I heard in the first few minutes. It was incredible! I had this sudden epiphany of what hi res is really all about. It is truly that jaw-dropping. All I can say is that with usb flash memory as source, coupled to the K-01's DAC section, there are gobs and gobs of detail, and yet, oh so silky smooth. Not only that, the soundstage opened up while notes floated effortlessly beyond the speaker boundaries in width, depth and height.

Bass is prodigious without being boomy, while highs are airier and more extended. As for the midrange, it's a "you are there" or "she is in your living room" sort of experience. Transients are as impactful as they should be while dynamic range between pianissimo and fortissimo is widened by a country mile. Finally, it all has to be musical and indeed it is - the complete antithesis of "analytical". The 8005 is not partial to any genre, serving out classical, jazz, blues or rock in equal measure. As the cliché goes, it doesn't get any better than this.

For this minimalist set-up, no computer or software interface is needed. The player just reads off the data from the flash drive and the artist, album, track, file type and sampling rate info are all shown on the display.
I do not intend to use the network/streaming function as that would entail the use of a computer with usb and ethernet cabling to the home broadband modem/router. Any of this along the signal path may introduce jitter to some degree.

One huge plus in ditching the computer is the handheld remote that allows you to scroll through all your music folders and files instead of having to get off the chair and use the mouse to open them. Of course you can use the app on your smartphone or tablet to control the player but then you need a wireless connection to your computer for this. I personally prefer to turn off all wireless connections during playback.

Caveats :-
Only usb drives formatted as FAT16/32 are supported. Unfortunately, NTFS formatted SSD/disk drives cannot be played by the NA8005. If you wish to play from an NAS or SSD/disk drive via your computer, you need to use the internal dac. All computer usb connections need to go through the internal dac and then via analog outputs to the preamp. To connect directly to your own dac, only usb flash drives plugged into the front panel port allow digital output.

If you are into hi res audio but don't want the hassle of computer audio into computer audio, the NA8005 may just be for you. You can finally bid goodbye to computer interfaces, hard disk drives, background noise, usb/ethernet cables, e

solarux

solarux

Enthusiast
Yes, it's marantz and their sound quality is extremely good. But the more I look at these, or something like the Sony HAP series,..., -(whopping $2000.00 ?),
I keep heading back to an Oppo BDP-105D -it just does "everything", and much more, and for much less than the price of the Sony HAP, and for about the same price as the Marantz here.
but yes, I understand Audio-only. ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Only usb drives formatted as FAT16/32 are supported. Unfortunately, NTFS formatted SSD/disk drives cannot be played by the NA8005. If you wish to play from an NAS or SSD/disk drive via your computer, you need to use the internal dac. All computer usb connections need to go through the internal dac and then via analog outputs to the preamp. To connect directly to your own dac, only usb flash drives plugged into the front panel port allow digital output.

If you are into hi res audio but don't want the hassle of computer audio into computer audio, the NA8005 may just be for you. You can finally bid goodbye to computer interfaces, hard disk drives, background noise, usb/ethernet cables, e
I don't understand what caveats you are talking about regarding the unit being used as a DAC, what do you expect it to do that it cannot do?

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic
I just brought a unit home 3 weeks ago. At US$1199 retail, it was worth a calculated risk since the first network player, the NA11S1 was well received by Stereophile. The NA8005 piqued my interest for 2 reasons - one, it could play native dsd and hi res pcm files from a USB flash drive, and two, it has a coaxial digital output.

Once unpacked, set-up was a breeze for my primary objective of playing hi res files from a USB flash drive. So, no more computer and usb cables. It was simply connecting the NA8005 to my Esoteric K-01 player's coaxial input.

Fresh out of the box, the sound emanating from the usb flash drive plugged into the front panel port, was in a word, glorious. If I was previously happy with hi-res via the Esoteric's own software for hi res audio called the HRA player, I must say I am completely floored by what I heard in the first few minutes. It was incredible! I had this sudden epiphany of what hi res is really all about. It is truly that jaw-dropping. All I can say is that with usb flash memory as source, coupled to the K-01's DAC section, there are gobs and gobs of detail, and yet, oh so silky smooth. Not only that, the soundstage opened up while notes floated effortlessly beyond the speaker boundaries in width, depth and height.

Bass is prodigious without being boomy, while highs are airier and more extended. As for the midrange, it's a "you are there" or "she is in your living room" sort of experience. Transients are as impactful as they should be while dynamic range between pianissimo and fortissimo is widened by a country mile. Finally, it all has to be musical and indeed it is - the complete antithesis of "analytical". The 8005 is not partial to any genre, serving out classical, jazz, blues or rock in equal measure. As the cliché goes, it doesn't get any better than this.

For this minimalist set-up, no computer or software interface is needed. The player just reads off the data from the flash drive and the artist, album, track, file type and sampling rate info are all shown on the display.
I do not intend to use the network/streaming function as that would entail the use of a computer with usb and ethernet cabling to the home broadband modem/router. Any of this along the signal path may introduce jitter to some degree.

One huge plus in ditching the computer is the handheld remote that allows you to scroll through all your music folders and files instead of having to get off the chair and use the mouse to open them. Of course you can use the app on your smartphone or tablet to control the player but then you need a wireless connection to your computer for this. I personally prefer to turn off all wireless connections during playback.

I find this "review" a little tough to swallow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

Nestor

Senior Audioholic

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I got this unit a few days ago. The one thing I don't like is not being able to to play FLAC files front the front USB port. Only files allowed are WMA. MP3, WAV and AAC. It appears the front port is to support the "ipods, iphones;. DSD from the rear USB port via a PC sounds pretty good.

I still like my OPPO 105 and my Rega Apollo R. I'll give it a another week.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I got this unit a few days ago. The one thing I don't like is not being able to to play FLAC files front the front USB port. Only files allowed are WMA. MP3, WAV and AAC. It appears the front port is to support the "ipods, iphones;. DSD from the rear USB port via a PC sounds pretty good.

I still like my OPPO 105 and my Rega Apollo R. I'll give it a another week.
I am not surprised as I also prefer the 105 to the AV-8801 and I am quite sure the AV-8801 is superior to the NA8005 base on specs. That means the 105 is two notches above the NA8005.:D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
With fire tv stick sideloaded kodi it's all the network media player i needed. As for dac, my avr has a pretty good one already.
Did i mentioned that all flac flavor are supported as well as DTS CD.

H

Hereshesaid

Audiophyte
I do not get it - what does this player do that a Marantz UD7007 (which also has playback for discs) doesn't exactly? I get that it is only a NA player but seriously the quality of the sound described in this review extends beyond the capabilities of a network media player.....JMHO

confused as to what this product offers that would make anyone want to shell out that much cash for it. I have a UD7007 and while I love it (haven't experienced anything else in it's class yet first hand though) I think it was overpriced...way overpriced. This is not even the reference version of Marantz' network players...I can't believe it even exists sorry rant :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I do not get it - what does this player do that a Marantz UD7007 (which also has playback for discs) doesn't exactly? I get that it is only a NA player but seriously the quality of the sound described in this review extends beyond the capabilities of a network media player.....JMHO

confused as to what this product offers that would make anyone want to shell out that much cash for it. I have a UD7007 and while I love it (haven't experienced anything else in it's class yet first hand though) I think it was overpriced...way overpriced. This is not even the reference version of Marantz' network players...I can't believe it even exists sorry rant :)

Well the NA8005 can act as a external DAC using the rear USB B port. It also can play DSD files. I sent the NA8005 back as my OPPO just did so much more and sounded just as good.

W

wcc

Audiophyte
"The one thing I don't like is not being able to to play FLAC files front the front USB port. Only files allowed are WMA. MP3, WAV and AAC. It appears the front port is to support the "ipods, iphones;."

Old thread I know. But I'm not sure what you mean that you can not play FLAC files through front USB port? That is all I play through the front port, FLAC & DSD files. Sounds pretty good. My biggest complaint with this unit is no XLR connections! And interface is a little funky but OK when you get used to it.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've been thinking about buying the NA8005 and I've also been thinking about the OPPO 105D. I see either could satisfy me. The Marantz supports AirPlay and since I primarily use iTunes I am leaning to the Marantz. On the other hand, OPPO will play my multi-channel SACDs.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you wish to play from an NAS or SSD/disk drive via your computer, you need to use the internal dac. All computer usb connections need to go through the internal dac and then via analog outputs to the preamp. To connect directly to your own dac, only usb flash drives plugged into the front panel port allow digital output.

Ether you didn't bothered to look at the back ports, manual or just simply lazy...
It's has 3 digital inputs - one for USB - specifically to connect to a computer to be audio device.
In addition coax and optical spdif - which most computers do have spdif out - so NO you don't need a comp with internal dac. Also false on NAS - most good nas boxes do support DLNA - so you could play straight from them.

BUT if you wish to remain ignorant and not use any of these features - go for it and use sneakernet with usb storage, but just don't post incorrect info.

Edit: Ugg, it's two year old thread.... still annoying then BS is posted.

S

sterling shoote

Ether you didn't bothered to look at the back ports, manual or just simply lazy...
It's has 3 digital inputs - one for USB - specifically to connect to a computer to be audio device.
In addition coax and optical spdif - which most computers do have spdif out - so NO you don't need a comp with internal dac. Also false on NAS - most good nas boxes do support DLNA - so you could play straight from them.

BUT if you wish to remain ignorant and not use any of these features - go for it and use sneakernet with usb storage, but just don't post incorrect info.

Edit: Ugg, it's two year old thread.... still annoying then BS is posted.
Do you have experience with this product? I'd like to know if this product functions as advertised. I've only seen a few reviews; and, some of those were from folks I perceive might not know how to operate/install the product.

W

wcc

Audiophyte
Do you have experience with this product? I'd like to know if this product functions as advertised. I've only seen a few reviews; and, some of those were from folks I perceive might not know how to operate/install the product.
I have experience with it, I have owned it since 12-2015.
It is OK. It sounds pretty good with FLAC & DSD files. I do not have anything other than a Yamaha CD-N500 CD Player to compare it with The Yamaha does all of the same things except does not handle DSD Files but has FLAC CD ability. The Marantz sounds better through front USB port with thumb drive than The Yamaha with FLAC files. Is it worth almost $1200.00? Probably not but then I'm not sure what is much better in that price range. I regret not buying the Marantz UD 7007 CD Player or OPPO just for the SACD capability for the same money, although I only paid around $800.00 for the NA8005 new while it was on sale. Good luck!

S

sterling shoote

I have experience with it, I have owned it since 12-2015.
It is OK. It sounds pretty good with FLAC & DSD files. I do not have anything other than a Yamaha CD-N500 CD Player to compare it with The Yamaha does all of the same things except does not handle DSD Files but has FLAC CD ability. The Marantz sounds better through front USB port with thumb drive than The Yamaha with FLAC files. Is it worth almost $1200.00? Probably not but then I'm not sure what is much better in that price range. I regret not buying the Marantz UD 7007 CD Player or OPPO just for the SACD capability for the same money, although I only paid around $800.00 for the NA8005 new while it was on sale. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing your experience. As I mentioned earlier I am thinking that the Marantz or OPPO 105D would satisfy. The OPPO would allow me to enjoy my multi-channel SACDs; but, the Marantz appears to permit more convenient streaming. I am having a hard time deciding. I don't think I really need either. After all, I've got a good Bluray Player, and I've got a good SACD Player, although it does not play multi-channel. I also use an AirPort Express for wireless to home theatre from computer and iPad/iPhone. Thinking out loud, the OPPO would probably provide the most possible pleasure if I commit to more multi-channel SACDs.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thinking out loud, the OPPO would probably provide the most possible pleasure if I commit to more multi-channel SACDs.
Thinking out loud, I'm sure that these JBLs were good back in 70s but speakers technology and precision has been improved vastly in last forty years...
I'd take the $1200 budget and instead of yet another electronic toy - try new speakers.
I don't see sub in your sig for example... or ELAC Uni-fi UF5 (should be available end of this month)

S

sterling shoote

Thinking out loud, I'm sure that these JBLs were good back in 70s but speakers technology and precision has been improved vastly in last forty years...
I'd take the $1200 budget and instead of yet another electronic toy - try new speakers.
I don't see sub in your sig for example... or ELAC Uni-fi UF5 (should be available end of this month)
My mains are JBL L100t3's and sub is JBL B-380. I've kept up with technology and have auditioned many speakers since I purchased mine new back in 1986 for about $2800.00. Since I have not heard better, other than a pair of JBL L300's, which I still cannot afford, I think I'll stick with what I've got. In fact, I like my speakers so much that I recently refoamed them, rather than replace them. I am very satisfied with my whole system, just think perhaps the Marantz NA8005 might be a convenient way to stream; and, of course, the OPPO would allow me to enjoy the multi-channel layer of SACDs which I own.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis