Marantz CD6004 CD Player Preview

V

valkilm

Audiophyte
endeed that's true, and there's one thing that files on a pc can not replace; the ritual of having a fisical disc like a cd or a vinyl...holding it and having it, it's a different thing...

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Hello
Yes I have heard lots of high end equipment, so I know what I'm talking about, I can agree with some people that sees no difference on equipment but this might be because they don't have a proper hi fi system that does justice to such equipment?
Really? :eek:

You have written nothing to quantify this.....
Why do you thing this Marantz is so good.....? we need some reasoning here, not just bla bla.....

V

valkilm

Audiophyte
Well what I can quantify is what my hears listen and this marantz sounds like analog, seems you are listening to vinyl...

And this cd player has the new cyrus logic hi def DAC

If you take a look at the Marantz site you will find all about it

Now about Emotiva, this is not true, they are great, I live at the Azores islands and bought the UPA-2 amplifier from them, a great service and I had a small humming problem and they sent me through UPS a toroidal transformer!

So you do not know what you are talking about and be aware that you can not talk like that against a company or even a person...there are laws and you might find yourselve with some legal problems...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Now about Emotiva, this is not true, they are great, I live at the Azores islands and bought the UPA-2 amplifier from them, a great service and I had a small humming problem and they sent me through UPS a toroidal transformer!

So you do not know what you are talking about and be aware that you can not talk like that against a company or even a person...there are laws and you might find yourselve with some legal problems...
You're a little late to the party as we both removed our posts from this thread. I'm happy that you had a good experience with them, but I did not. Also, it's not libel if it's true - and everything that I've said about them is true.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Hard to get it isn't it...... it's so stupid that it's getting funny to me....

This forum is about enjoying the music and your movies :D
If your target is to tell people off and be stupid there are other better places for this :p
With a post count of 4.... you realy impressed all of us :D

G

gazzah

Audiophyte
Why I'm considering a CD only player

CD players are dead!!....How can anyone consider a CD player or a player that doesn't even support any kind of networking capabilities,
That's an interesting question. Others have also wondered why you'd bother with a CD only player when there are many 'universal' players available.

I can tell you why I'm considering this CD player.

I have two players already that *can* play CDs. One is a BD/DVD/CD/HDD from Panasonic. The other is a multiregion DVD/SACD/CD player from Pioneer.

The audio quality of both these units is OK. The problem for me is response, or ease of use.

Most universal players, in my experience, take at least five seconds to 'wake up' when switched on. I'm not sure why but I'd guess it has to do with checking HDMI handshakes, network connections and so on. And then they take 3 or 4 seconds to recognize a disc when it's inserted, as they try to figure out what kind of disc it is...CD, DVD, recordable, BD etc. This gets frustrating very fast.

A pure CD player doesn't have to think. It just does CDs. And a unit like the Marantz, judging by reviews, does this very well.

Other factors: Neither of my 'universal' players have a headphone output. The Marantz does. The iPod/USB input is a bonus...I could use my iPad as a jukebox.

Actually, I'm still in the process of making my mind up, but I can certainly tell you that my 'universal' players are not ideal CD players.

Any others feel this way?

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Good points, gazzah. This looks to be a nice cd player. If my music was all cd listening, of course the obvious choice would be to get a dedicated cd player. If you only listen to cds, played individually, on a two channel system, why on earth would you buy universal player with hdmi inputs, as well as 7 channel inputs?
I personally rip my cds to a server listed in my signature. I also have a blu ray player that plays blu rays, cds, and dvds, plus streams Pandora and Netflix. But I would never presume to challenge someone's intelligence for choosing a stand alone cd player.
If it harms no other, do as you will- that's my motto.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
It's easy to admit when you're right, I will also admit when I'm wrong
After reading Stephen Mejias article in Stereophile, The Entry Level #12 | Stereophile.com about the Emotiva ERC-2 CD player, I got a deja vu experience..... thinking about the time my LP player was functioning, at the moment it's disconnected due to space constraints but will be getting back to life later on :p

Listening to music is a process and the process of making the music ready can be just as pleasurable as the listening itself.... the process of taking the LP out of the cover, cleaning the stylus and the record and then the warm cracking from speakers as the styles hits some dust in the grooves.... this is noise but just as much part of the process of music listening...

Going from Vinyl to LP's we changed this all a bit as we don't have the big covers, we don't get this undesirable noise, and it all gets a bit more "correct", yes... or no...???? the process gets not so enjoyable anymore as we no longer has these big covers to read but just very small CD leaflets, not so much info and not so much to read.... so something in the process gets lost. Everything is a bit more sterile... Even the music is normally more sterile too, at least when we get to listen to these ultra compressed productions.

When we get all server oriented throwing away the CD player it's all about convenience, it's all there ready at hand and we can find whatever music we want in a few microseconds, and we play this and we waste no time whatsoever.... but something in the process gets lost, it's not so enjoyable anymore, you don't get to read the covers and you don't get to find the discs anymore so it's not the same process anymore.... Everything is even more a bit sterile...

For this reason alone CD players and LP players do have a place and will still have a place in the homes :D

I apologize to anyone I may have offended by my previous remarks

I will, however, not buy a dedicated CD player..... Just wish the Emotiva guys would add streaming capabilities to a model that's otherwise similar to the ERC-2..... this would probably then be the player to beat for the competitors in the future.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
That's an interesting question. Others have also wondered why you'd bother with a CD only player when there are many 'universal' players available.

I can tell you why I'm considering this CD player.

I have two players already that *can* play CDs. One is a BD/DVD/CD/HDD from Panasonic. The other is a multiregion DVD/SACD/CD player from Pioneer.

The audio quality of both these units is OK. The problem for me is response, or ease of use.

Most universal players, in my experience, take at least five seconds to 'wake up' when switched on. I'm not sure why but I'd guess it has to do with checking HDMI handshakes, network connections and so on. And then they take 3 or 4 seconds to recognize a disc when it's inserted, as they try to figure out what kind of disc it is...CD, DVD, recordable, BD etc. This gets frustrating very fast.

A pure CD player doesn't have to think. It just does CDs. And a unit like the Marantz, judging by reviews, does this very well.

Other factors: Neither of my 'universal' players have a headphone output. The Marantz does. The iPod/USB input is a bonus...I could use my iPad as a jukebox.

Actually, I'm still in the process of making my mind up, but I can certainly tell you that my 'universal' players are not ideal CD players.

Any others feel this way?
I agree that universal players are less convenient for playing CDs than dedicated CD players. Not only do CD-only players start up faster, the feature set is usually much better for playing CDs. I personally like using a CD changer, which works better with a dedicated CD changer than a DVD changer, because with a DVD changer, with each new disc, it has to first decide what sort of disc it is before it starts playing. So there is a greater delay for the next disc with a DVD changer. Plus, of course, the feature set is better for CDs with the CD-only changer.

In my case, I have multiple systems set up in my home. With two of my systems, there is no video involved, and they have two channels only, so there is no need for playing anything but CDs in them. One of those systems is in my living room, and the CD player there gets more use than my BD or DVD players in other rooms.

Also, if you don't mind used, you can often get CD-only players very, very cheap. I have purchased quality units (including a Marantz) from local thrift stores for next to nothing that work fine.

G

gazzah

Audiophyte
For $500 you can buy an Oppo bpd 93 which plays cd's, sacd's and any dvd audio disc. ... I don't see why anyone would be willing to part with $500 for this cd player. Even audiophiles tend to steer clear of cd's. They prefer vinyl or sacd or dvd audio. Who is this Marantz player for?
nickboros: You make a fair point. I used to think the same way, but I currently have two 'universal' players and neither of them makes a good CD player. Response is slow (they have to first detect the type of disc inserted before they can even start reading tracks) and network and HDMI connections seem to make them even slower (having to confirm network handshakes as they start up).

I don't have the Oppo so I can't judge how responsive it might be, but a pure CD player like the Marantz. while not a 'jack of all trades', might be 'the master of one'.

As for audiophiles preferring SACD and DVD-Audio... I would if I could but the music I like is just not available in those formats.

Kevin Cleveland

Audiophyte
Marantz 6004 CD Player

Thje Marantz 6004 CD Player has delivered above and beyond what I was expecting. I thought about the 5004, and figured by all the things/comments I had read got me looking in the 6004 direction. I ordered the unit for the extra $150 from the 5 to the 6 series. I put it to the test last night after it arrived and was very happy with my purchase. I have read some posts certain people didn't care for this or that about it. It really comes down to what you the individual like to listen to. I put my favorite cd in and like I was told, I heard all the instruments on a different level than my old Kenwood this unit replaced. So far, so good, and hope to have many years of great use from this unit. If you have to get a cd player for around $500, you should look at this one.

Kevin Cleveland

Audiophyte
Marantz 6004

Thje Marantz 6004 CD Player has delivered above and beyond what I was expecting. I thought about the 5004, and figured by all the things/comments I had read got me looking in the 6004 direction. I ordered the unit for the extra $150 from the 5 to the 6 series. I put it to the test last night after it arrived and was very happy with my purchase. I have read some posts certain people didn't care for this or that about it. It really comes down to what you the individual like to listen to. I put my favorite cd in and like I was told, I heard all the instruments on a different level than my old Kenwood this unit replaced. So far, so good, and hope to have many years of great use from this unit. If you have to get a cd player for around $500, you should look at this one. This unit is also great looking and compliments my other stereo units.

solarux

solarux

Enthusiast
in Hindsight ...

I picked up a Sony BDPS590 thinking that'll be all I needed.
But after 2 hours of fiddling around, the darn thing was virtually USELESS, unless I permanently connected it my HDTV via the units hdmi output ?!
At that point, I could care less that it had a buit-in wi-fi.
... Oh ya, and the coffee-brewing time just to wait for the thing to figure out it's just an AUDIO-CD ? ... why is it taking soooooo loooong to get to "home" and play, not to mention it's was rather power-hungry,... but then again, no wonder ! -17 Watts, and then even much more after requiring a "Display".

(Surprisingly, my, recently dead, 12 year old Sony DVP-NS315 only used 12 Watts.)

Well, that was enough for me to exchange the BDPS590 for the Marantz CD6004.
Did the CD6004 cost 3 times as much as the Sony BDPS590 ? Unfortunately, yes. :(

But, the Marantz is extremely well built, great quality components, specs,... for what I want it to do -just play my multitude of Audio CD's, (also USB's/iPOD), faithfully, quickly, and accurately.

Now I also realize what my good 'ole Sony PS3 was really for as well ?
To Play, View, Listen, Game, ... to absolutely everything else, when I need to.

"...Hindsight is always twenty-twenty..."
:cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis