Marantz AV7702 Atmos enabled AV Processor

• Thread starter Steve Pitbull Potenziano
  • Start date

is 2K what you now expect froma Atmos AVR?

• Total voters
Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Steve Pitbull Potenziano

Audioholics Bouncer
Here we have the newest AV Processor from Marantz to be a Dolby Atmos capable. What do you all think?

MSRP 1,999

what it is and what it does:

Features and Specs
General
Frequency Response ---
THD ---
Signal to Noise Ratio ---
Number of Inputs ---
HDMI Inputs 8
HDMI Standby Pass-through Yes
HDMI Monitor Output 3
USB Connections 1
Ethernet Connections ---
Phono Inputs 1
Preamp Outputs 15
Satellite Radio Ready ---
HD Radio Built-in
Memory Presets ---
Internet Ready Yes
Networking Wired or Wireless
Network Streaming Services ---
AirPlay Compatible Yes
DLNA Certified Audio
Dolby Digital DD, EX, TrueHD, Atmos
DTS DTS, HDMA, Neo6
Multiple Zones 3
Dimensions
Width (inches) ---
Height (inches) ---
Depth (inches) ---
Weight (pounds) ---
Parts Warranty 3 years
Labor Warranty 3 years

x642AV7702-o_open.jpg
x642AV7702-b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As long as it has Audyssey XT32 and all that, it's all good. :cool:

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
This is not an AVR, but a preamp, correct? I don't see speaker connections on the back of the unit.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Here we have the newest AVR from Marantz to be a Dolby Atmos AVR what do you all think?

MSRP 1,999

what it is and what it does:

Features and Specs
General
Frequency Response ---
THD ---
Signal to Noise Ratio ---
Number of Inputs ---
HDMI Inputs 8
HDMI Standby Pass-through Yes
HDMI Monitor Output 3
USB Connections 1
Ethernet Connections ---
Phono Inputs 1
Preamp Outputs 15
Satellite Radio Ready ---
HD Radio Built-in
Memory Presets ---
Internet Ready Yes
Networking Wired or Wireless
Network Streaming Services ---
AirPlay Compatible Yes
DLNA Certified Audio
Dolby Digital DD, EX, TrueHD, Atmos
DTS DTS, HDMA, Neo6
Multiple Zones 3
Dimensions
Width (inches) ---
Height (inches) ---
Depth (inches) ---
Weight (pounds) ---
Parts Warranty 3 years
Labor Warranty 3 years

View attachment 14310 View attachment 14311
If it would be made in Japan I would put it on my wish list. It's made in China and that's just a no no for me.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
As long as you don't plan to use it for 4k it's a solid Pre/Pro. No HDCP 2.2 is a no sale for me.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
Hmmm... needs more cowbell...

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
All of these audio manufacturers be it speakers or amps, DACS etc.. are going to charge what they can to make money, I guess they figure someone will buy it. They just add a $$ for the new buzz words in HT, and the current buzz word in ATMOS so $20.00 worth of software and $20.00 worth of hardware and then you mark that up 100%

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That is one for those who just want to have separate for the sake of it. The Denon 5200 or the Marantz SR7009 should offer the same sound quality and you gain the amp section whether you need it or not for the same price. The SR7009 even looks the same in the front if that counts.

For purists/audiophiles, they will not or should not settle for the 7702 knowing there is the 8802.

Last edited:
S

Sipos88

Audioholic Intern
That is one for those who just want to have separate for the sake of it. The Denon 5200 or the Marantz SR7009 should offer the same sound quality and you gain the amp section whether you need it or not for the same price. The SR7009 even looks the same in the front if that counts.

For purists/audiophiles, they will not or should not settle for the 7702 knowing there is the 8802.
So you are saying that 7009 sound quality = 7702?? Or can you compare it to the sound of x4200?

Preamp rca voltage 7702 = 2.4V
7009 = 1.2V

This matters to people who want to use separate amps..

Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So you are saying that 7009 sound quality = 7702?? Or can you compare it to the sound of x4200?

Preamp rca voltage 7702 = 2.4V
7009 = 1.2V

This matters to people who want to use separate amps..

Thanks
I do believe the 7702 and 7009 are equal in terms of sound quality. I have the higher end 8801 and I find it equal to my previous Denon AVR-4308 in pure direct but the sound processing of the much older Denon was not as good.

The 7702's RCA is also rated 1.2V. The 2.4V rating is only for the balanced outputs, the 7702's unbalanced outputs are rated the same as the 7009. In fact, pretty much all Marantz (including their flag ship AV8802) and Denon AVRs and pre pros are rated 1.2V for their unbalanced (RCA) pre outs. Every single bench tests, including those done right here at the Audioholics, found their maximum unclipped pre out outputs exceeded 2 or even 3V by a wide margin, so that is not a factor at all for most power amps that have typical gains of 28 dB or higher.

Here is a link to the AH (by Gene) review of the X5200W, I expect the 4200 will not be far behind.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x5200w/measurements

Quote:

"The AVR-X5200W has plenty of grunt via the preamp outputs to use in conjunction with virtually any separate amplifier should you desire more power. I measured unclipped output of 4.5Vrms from every channel. We like to see at least 2Vrms and the Denon met this with over 6db of margin to spare."

Note that the 5200 is also rated 1.2V. I am not sure why D&M rate their pre out output, Yamaha's appear to be even more conservative, IIRC they rate theirs 1V. I suspect they may base it on the voltage required to drive their internal amps to their rated output, but I am not really sure. All I know is that bench tests by AH, S&V, HTM, HCC, AVtech, all showed much higher measured output voltages on their bench.

Last edited:
S

Sipos88

Audioholic Intern
I do believe the 7702 and 7009 are equal in terms of sound quality. I have the higher end 8801 and I find it equal to my previous Denon AVR-4308 in pure direct but the sound processing of the much older Denon was not as good.

The 7702's RCA is also rated 1.2V. The 2.4V rating is only for the balanced outputs, the 7702's unbalanced outputs are rated the same as the 7009. In fact, pretty much all Marantz (including their flag ship AV8802) and Denon AVRs and pre pros are rated 1.2V for their unbalanced (RCA) pre outs. Every single bench tests, including those done right here at the Audioholics, found their maximum unclipped pre out outputs exceeded 2 or even 3V by a wide margin, so that is not a factor at all for most power amps that have typical gains of 28 dB or higher.

Here is a link to the AH (by Gene) review of the X5200W, I expect the 4200 will not be far behind.

https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x5200w/measurements

Quote:

"The AVR-X5200W has plenty of grunt via the preamp outputs to use in conjunction with virtually any separate amplifier should you desire more power. I measured unclipped output of 4.5Vrms from every channel. We like to see at least 2Vrms and the Denon met this with over 6db of margin to spare."

Note that the 5200 is also rated 1.2V. I am not sure why D&M rate their pre out output, Yamaha's appear to be even more conservative, IIRC they rate theirs 1V. I suspect they may base it on the voltage required to drive their internal amps to their rated output, but I am not really sure. All I know is that bench tests by AH, S&V, HTM, HCC, AVtech, all showed much higher measured output voltages on their bench.
That is interesting to read. This makes sense too.
Ill use for sure amps to run my speakers...
Which one would you pick if you would know that you are not able to use atmos for like 2yrs?
X4200
RZ900?

Considering that I could get all of them at the same price.
Thanks

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That is interesting to read. This makes sense too.
Ill use for sure amps to run my speakers...
Which one would you pick if you would know that you are not able to use atmos for like 2yrs?
X4200
RZ900?

Considering that I could get all of them at the same price.
Thanks
Depending on the features you need, either the X4200W or the 7009 are good choices. The 4200 is HDCP2.2 ready so if you need that, the 7009 is out. The 7009 has multi-channel analog inputs, so if you need that, the 4200 is out. I wouldn't pick the 7702 because it comes with no amps and it is much harder to sell a pre pro than an AVR so once you have it, you may have to keep it for a long time to get your money's worth. For real audiophiles who must have separates, they will likely go for the AV8802 that offers better components and specs, whether they offer audibly better sound or not. Some may consider the 7702 simply an AVR without no amps. That's just my 2 cents and I am sure others will have totally different opinions.

S

Sipos88

Audioholic Intern
Hmm. So now its down to 4200 and 7009

How would you rate those avr's with Klipsch speakers? I mean as sound goes.
9 channel processing vs 11

I would love to get the one what will be dynamic for moovies and has great bass control and eq..
Any inputs on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm. So now its down to 4200 and 7009

How would you rate those avr's with Klipsch speakers? I mean as sound goes.
9 channel processing vs 11

I would love to get the one what will be dynamic for moovies and has great bass control and eq..
Any inputs on that?

That's a tough one. The SR7009 is slightly more powerful but that is practically negligible. The 4200 is more up to date, probably slightly better DACs (32-bit AK4458). The SR7009 was the flag ship Marantz AVR a year ago, but again the 4200 is a current model that has the latest features among D&M AVRs. I don't know what kind of Klipsch speakers you have but if you have the ones with 4 ohms nominal impedance, as long as your room is not big and you don't listen to hearing damaging level, either should be fine. If I don't need the latest features I would likely take the SR7009 but even more likely, I would stretch my budget to get the 7010, or wait for the X7200W price drop in about 6 to 8 months. I think the X7200W is probably the best AVR money can buy now even at their current price point, better bang for the buck than the latest Anthem offering for sure.

S

Sipos88

Audioholic Intern
Interesting. I own the new RP280f, rp450c, rp250s and i plan on getting the rp250f or rp160m... 8ohm
And i would not use the internal amplifiers from the avr's, since i have external 7 channel amp.
I would not want to purchase the top of the line now since for when ill be moving in in my new house it will be really outdated. I would like something what takes me thru 2 years now and comes with me while ill move 1 or 2 times. So if the sound is better in one of them 7009 or 4200 i would take any of them. And as I mentined, the avr's internal amp will not be used just their pre out.. Thats why it was a "big" deal for me the pre out Voltage on the RCA's to make sure it will run well the amps. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting. I own the new RP280f, rp450c, rp250s and i plan on getting the rp250f or rp160m... 8ohm
And i would not use the internal amplifiers from the avr's, since i have external 7 channel amp.
I would not want to purchase the top of the line now since for when ill be moving in in my new house it will be really outdated. I would like something what takes me thru 2 years now and comes with me while ill move 1 or 2 times. So if the sound is better in one of them 7009 or 4200 i would take any of them. And as I mentined, the avr's internal amp will not be used just their pre out.. Thats why it was a "big" deal for me the pre out Voltage on the RCA's to make sure it will run well the amps. Thanks

If you won't be using the internal amps then the answer to your question in post#15 is, it is irrelevant. Which 7 channel amp do you have?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Emotiva xpa-5 and upa-2.

I would sell those amps because either the 4200 or the 7009 can drive those Klipsch speakers with ease. The amps will simply take up space for no reasons, unless your room is big enough to take advantage of a couple dB of headroom.

S

Sipos88

Audioholic Intern
Hmmm.... I just wonder how much db headroom difference is that. Since we all know that all channel driven its a lot lower compared to 2channel driven.
For example listening to music at all channel stereo..
I would like to get the best out of those speakers and thats the reason for wanting to use the amplifier for them.
The speakers are easily driven since they are high sensitivity, but still not bringing out the full potential when i would like to listen to music (loud) and watch a movie quite loud.
Thats my only concern.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis